The simFlight Network Forums

Can't Calibrate Joystick Axes

jockoflocko

I recently got FSUIPC7.  Got it installed and registered.  Launched MSFS and opened FSUIPC7.  I scanned all of my joysticks using the "Send to FS as normal axis" option.  Then I went to the joystick calibration page.  When I clicked on "Set" for my ailerons, it populated values in the columns on the right, but when I moved my joystick the "In" and "out" values didn't change.  And neither did the values in the columns on the right.  Retried using the "Send direct to FSUIPC calibration" option, but got the same result.  Tried other axes, but got the same result.  I consulted the manual, and on page 29 it says "Before making any assignments in FSUIPC, you should be sure that the same axes are not being assigned in MSFS itself."  So I went into MSFS and deleted all of my assigned joystick axes.  Tried to calibrate again in FSUIPC7, but got the same result.

Before I deleted my axes in MSFS, I wrote down all the assignments I had in MSFS and the corresponding assignments created by FSUIPC7:

In MSFS, Ailerons  L - X, Elevator L - Y, Rudder R - Z, Right Brake L - Y, Left Brake L - X, Throttle L- X, Prop L - Y, and Mixture L - Z

In FSUIPC,  Ailerons  A - X, Elevator A - Y, Rudder B - Z, Right Brake B - Y, Left Brake B - X, Throttle C- X, Prop C - Y, and Mixture C - Z

I created an "Axes" log file, and it along with other files are attached below.  Hopefully this is something simple, appreciate any insight you guys might have on this.

Thanks.

FSUIPC7.JoyScan.csv FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC7.1.log FSUIPC7.log FSUIPC7_prev.log InstallFSUIPC7.log

I'm not having exactly the same issue - however, it's unclear from the user guide how to do this without having FSUIPC take full control.  I also have FSX and FSUIPC 4 - in that case, I had no problem leaving FSX to control the axes but having FSUIPIC do the calibration.  But the procedure in FSUIPC 7 is less clear.  I found that I had to assign each axis one at a time on the assign tab and then do the calibration - doing it that way seemed to work - although I'm unclear if this is the right way to do it.  

The guide is very detailed yet I found that some key clarification is needed as to how to do this if you want FSUIPC to have full control vs having FSUIPIC just do the calibration.

Edited by hokfujow@gmail.com
Clarifying version of FSUIPIC

Yea, I am a very experienced FSUIPC user (I've used all the previous versions) and have never run into any issues before.  I looked at the manual again, and on page 37 it says "Move the control for this axis and verify that the values for IN and OUT are changing. If they aren’t, then you’ve either got the wrong control or your configuration is wrong (in MSFS’s Assignments).

I believe "you've got the wrong control" means I am trying to calibrate the ailerons, but I am actually moving the elevator.  That's not the issue, so maybe my problem is "your configuration is wrong (in MSFS’s Assignments)."  But I have no idea what this means.  I believe all my controllers are assigned correctly in MSFS,   That's why I included all of my MSFS and FSUIPC axis assignments in my previous post.

Since this is a new version of FSUIPC I'm sure  this is a simple "user error." type of problem.  I just cant figure out what I am doing wrong.

OK, I finally figured this out.  When I was trying before to calibrate in FSUIPC, I had MSFS and FSUIPC running.  But I did not have MSFS running with a plane loaded in the cockpit on the runway .  Once I did that I was able to calibrate all of my axes in FSUIPC.

And I should note that page 37 of the manual says:

To calibrate any axis, just do this:
1. For most axes, you need to be in normal flight mode (i.e. not Slew).

So if anyone else runs into this note that "normal flight mode" means in the plane with the engine running.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Same problem here.  I have been using FSUIPC for eons (BTW thanks for a great product!)  and never had a problem until I got into MSFS just now.  I have tried this several times with the same result:

- in fly mode on the rwy

- removed the MSFS assignments for my virtual joystick (ail and elev)

- assigned both axes in FSUIPC

- elevator calibration goes perfectly, exactly as explained in the guide

- aileron calibration:  reset/ set.   Initial values as expected (-16k,-512,+512,+16k).   "in" values change smoothly over the entire range.

-- rightmost position, press set, the current value goes into the right box AND both middle boxes

-- leftmost position or middle position: pressing "set" does nothing at all.

I have tried in the opposite order with the same frustrating result.  I have also tried with/without "rev" checked.

I am stumped.  Thanks for your help!

Also,  I find something confusing in the user guide:

On page 30 , in bold red:  NOTE that you do not have to assign axes in FSUIPC in order to be able to use the joystick calibration facilities

then, at the top of page 36:   FSUIPC does not interfere with any joystick axis at all by default. You have to assign axes in the Axes Assignment pages first.

To be sure, I do assign everything in FSUIPC only.

14 hours ago, 3greens said:

- aileron calibration:  reset/ set.   Initial values as expected (-16k,-512,+512,+16k).   "in" values change smoothly over the entire range.

-- rightmost position, press set, the current value goes into the right box AND both middle boxes

-- leftmost position or middle position: pressing "set" does nothing at all.

This really shouldn't happen and I don't know what could be causing this. Could you reboot, re-install the latest version and try again please.

12 hours ago, 3greens said:

Also,  I find something confusing in the user guide:

On page 30 , in bold red:  NOTE that you do not have to assign axes in FSUIPC in order to be able to use the joystick calibration facilities

then, at the top of page 36:   FSUIPC does not interfere with any joystick axis at all by default. You have to assign axes in the Axes Assignment pages first.

Ok, the second statement maybe slightly confusing.
You CAN calibrate axis assigned in MSFS, although this is not recommended. I was going to remove this in MSFS as this may interfere if you calibrate in MSFS as well.

The first part of the second statement is true - FSUIPC does not interfere by default. However, the second part should probably read 'you have to assign in the Axes Assignment first, or Calibrate in the Calibration page of assigning in MSFS.

12 hours ago, 3greens said:

That's the way we recommend. You should also create empty profiles for your controllers in MSFS (except for mouse and keyboard).

Thanks, John, for your quick response. 

After a reinstall, the problem was still there.  Then I ran FSUIPC as admin and all is well.

In retrospect, I am not sure this was the issue.  I might well have been confused with the aileron reversed logic and clicked on the wrong "set" button when setting the limit value.  I have not dared try again to test my hypothesis.  As the saying goes:  if it ain't broke...

Thanks again and best regards,

Philippe

5 hours ago, 3greens said:

Then I ran FSUIPC as admin and all is well.

You shouldn't need to run FSUIPC as admin, unless maybe you are also running MSFS as admin....
Check that you haven't installed FSUIPC in a windows protected folder (such as Program Files). You should install it in its own folder, outside of the MSFS folders and not under a windows protected folder.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the exact same problem as 3 green.  I did a fresh install with no change.  As with the above post the elevators worked perfectly and are now usable.  Ailerons the same as above.  Using a Precision Flight Controls airliner yoke.   Don’t know what to do.