The simFlight Network Forums

WideClient only connects to WideFS Sporadically

I've been trying to figure out what the right sequence is to get WideClient to connect to WideFS reliably without any luck. Certain times, it connects and passes across data perfectly fine (from FS2020 via FSUIPC7 latest beta with WideFS enabled over network to latest WideClient and then the FlyLive app). It works great, when it connects.

However, I am having the toughest time getting it to actually connect when I want it to. Perfect example, I'm in the plane in FS2020, FSUIPC7 is connected to the Simulator and WideFS is enabled. I launch the WideClient and it connects. Yay. Same exact scenario after closing everything down and doing it again and WideClient just sits at "Waiting for a connect". The log files aren't terribly helpful since they lack details beyond successful connection.

This isn't an issue on my network or firewalls since the connection works perfectly fine about 50% of the time and I have no idea why it works sometimes and doesn't work other times.

Is there a recommend sequence in which MSFS, FSUIPC7, WideFS, WideClient, and the app consuming the data are supposed to be started?

WideClient log:
********* WideClient Log [version 7.159] Class=FS98MAIN *********
Date (dmy): 01/01/21, Time 14:02:41.747: Client name is DEFINER4
       93 LUA: "C:\Users\jopee\Documents\WideFS\Initial.LUA": not found
      140 Attempting to connect now
      140 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast
      140 Failed to connect: waiting to try again
      156 New Client Application: "flylivestudio" (Id=2612)
     1140 Attempting to connect now
    22312 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

WideServer log:

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 7.076] *********
Blocksize guide = 8192 (double allowed)
Date (dmy): 01/01/21, Time 14:05:15.027: Server name is RYZEN

Edited by jopeek

1 hour ago, jopeek said:

However, I am having the toughest time getting it to actually connect when I want it to. Perfect example, I'm in the plane in FS2020, FSUIPC7 is connected to the Simulator and WideFS is enabled. I launch the WideClient and it connects. Yay. Same exact scenario after closing everything down and doing it again and WideClient just sits at "Waiting for a connect". The log files aren't terribly helpful since they lack details beyond successful connection.

Last point first. There's plenty of logging to be had, but we normally don't recommend enabling it in the first inmstance without first establishing what we are looking for.

WideClient can only connect when FSUIPC is ready. That is when everything in MSFS is running and ready to fly. However, it will sit around waiting for the chance to connect. This is the first thing to note:

1 hour ago, jopeek said:

140 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast
140 Failed to connect: waiting to try again

This indicates to me that you have not tried the most obvious thing: that is to stop reliance on the broadcasts being seen, and specify the ServerIPAddr an Protocol parameters in the WideClient.INI file -- as described in one of the early pages of the User Guide.

Try that first, then show both logs again if it still doesn't connect reliably.

Pete

Here is the log entry after adding the ServerIPAddr and Protocol values:

Date (dmy): 01/01/21, Time 18:13:33.375: Client name is DEFINER4
       93 Attempting to connect now
       93 Trying TCP/IP addr 192.168.10.50, port 8002 ...
    21093 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10060] Connection timed out
    21093 Ready to try connection again
    22109 Attempting to connect now
    66156 Trying TCP/IP addr 192.168.10.50, port 8002 ...
   120859 New Client Application: "flylivestudio" (Id=11080)
   132218 Trying TCP/IP addr 192.168.10.50, port 8002 ...

The server log says nothing beyond the startup and the server name. I also tried this by using ServerName instead of ServerIPAddr, in which case it resolves the servername properly to the IP but gives the same timeout error.

Airplane is running on the runway and FSUIPC shows as being connected to the simulator. Client app flylivestudio is also connected to the wideclient.

Follow up, I disabled WideFS on the server, which caused FSUIPC to close. Then reopened it and this time, WideFS was already enabled (didn't have to start it via the WideFS > Enable command) and now the connection works. But this is sort of my problem, it's not consistent. Sometimes it works, other times no matter what I do, it times out.

Date (dmy): 01/01/21, Time 18:18:18.424: Client name is DEFINER4
       93 Attempting to connect now
       93 Trying TCP/IP addr 192.168.10.50, port 8002 ...
     7109 Connection made okay!

Edited by jopeek

7 hours ago, jopeek said:

Follow up, I disabled WideFS on the server, which caused FSUIPC to close.

That's most certainly wrong. Was it a crash? Any crash details?

7 hours ago, jopeek said:

Then reopened it and this time, WideFS was already enabled (didn't have to start it via the WideFS > Enable command) and now the connection works.

Once you enable WideFS in FSUIPC it should stay enabled. Are you saying the problem is that this sometimes disengages all by itself?

There should be no difference in how WideFS works between FSUIPC4, 5, 6 or 7, and I've never heard of or experienced any problems quite like yours. I think we will need to wait for John's return from his short break, probably Monday.

Pete

8 hours ago, jopeek said:

WideFS was already enabled (didn't have to start it via the WideFS > Enable command)

You should never have to manually enable WideFS, it should enable automatically after the following message is logged:

133922 -------------------- Starting everything now ----------------------
   133922 Starting WideServer now ...
This only occurs once you have selected a plane (for the first time), set-up your flight and clicked the FLY button.   The exception is if you manually disable WideFS - if you do this, WideServer will not automatically start and you have to manually Enable. You can also manually Enable to stat WideServer earlier,  but I don't see much point in doing this...

8 hours ago, jopeek said:

Follow up, I disabled WideFS on the server, which caused FSUIPC to close.

As Pete says, this is certainly wrong. Did it 'close' or 'crash'? Could you provide am FSUIPC7.log file when this happens, and also check for any crash events in the Windows event viewer.

John