The simFlight Network Forums

Location of the Community folder? How do I change it .... ?

BAW9DV

Hi,

Not sure exactly where to put this question, but I'm posting it to see if the experts can help.  So far, even MS Tech Support cannot provide and answer ....

I now have one big issue.   As I begin to explore and enjoy Flight Simulator 2020 more and install liveries and scenery add-ons, I am going to hit a space problem.

I have MSFS2020 installed in it's default installation on my 1TB SSD main C: drive.  The full path:-

C:\Users\<MyName>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community

I am told that it is possible to create a COMMUNITY folder on a different drive and "link" it so that MSFS reads only this folder as the default location.   Currently, my COMMUNITY folder as shown above is encrypted and I can only install or delete files/subfolders from inside this folder.   

I have tried everything to change the permissions on this folder - but I cannot MOVE, or COPY anything from within this folder (Nor the ONE STORE folder) to another location !!

I have asked this question on the MSFS Forum and instead of telling me how I might do it, they keep suggesting threads which have pretty much no relevence to my problem!   I just want to know how I might release this so-called encryption so that I can set up a new COMMUNITY folder on my new 1TB SSD additional drive (H:\) and get MSFS2020 to see it.   Anyone tell me how to do it?

Cheers,

Lee

3 hours ago, BAW9DV said:

I have tried everything to change the permissions on this folder - but I cannot MOVE, or COPY anything from within this folder (Nor the ONE STORE folder) to another location !!

I have asked this question on the MSFS Forum and instead of telling me how I might do it, they keep suggesting threads which have pretty much no relevence to my problem!   I just want to know how I might release this so-called encryption so that I can set up a new COMMUNITY folder on my new 1TB SSD additional drive (H:\) and get MSFS2020 to see it.   Anyone tell me how to do it?

As far as I am aware you cannot separate the Community folder from the main scenery and aircraft folder next to it. And I don't think you can move them. The best thing to do is bite the bullet, and uninstall MSFS completely, then re-install in a different folder or different disk drive. There will still be some stuff in the default locations, but most there will just be links to wherever you put it.

Choosing a different location is easy enough if you bought it from the MS-Store, but, I am sorry, I don't know if the Steam one is the same. Maybe someone else can advise about that.

Also ask on the AVSIM MSFS support forum instead of MS's own.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I knew you'd have the answer!   I guessed this might be the thing, so yes, I'll do it.

Thanks for the reply.

How are you?  Been a while since I saw you last!  Hope you are well sir!

Regards

Lee

41 minutes ago, BAW9DV said:

How are you?  Been a while since I saw you last!  Hope you are well sir!

Well enough, thank you, but feeling my age (78 this year) -- aching knees, painful back and hips. Slowly becoming a couch potato, except I insisted on getting another dog when the last one died, to force me to get exercise and fresh air every day! 😉

Really missing holidays. We had been going on about 6 trips (steam trains around the world) till this pandemic ruined everything. Can't wait for them to start again!

Regards
Pete

1 hour ago, DaveG said:

If you haven't bitten then bullet yet and reinstalled, you could try MSFS Add-on Linker, available at flightsim.to. That let's you install add-ons anywhere and then links them to the community folder. 

https://flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker

Hello Dave,

Yes, I have this utility - but it cannot work because I cannot MOVE the Community and One Store folders onto a new drive !!   Until I can do that, I'm stuffed.

I used MOD Manager to make a backup of the Community folder, but it will not back up the One Store subfolder - so I cannot make any links until the folder structure is fully installed on my H: drive so that it can be recognised as such.

Cheers,

Lee

5 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Well enough, thank you, but feeling my age (78 this year) -- aching knees, painful back and hips. Slowly becoming a couch potato, except I insisted on getting another dog when the last one died, to force me to get exercise and fresh air every day! 😉

Really missing holidays. We had been going on about 6 trips (steam trains around the world) till this pandemic ruined everything. Can't wait for them to start again!

Regards
Pete

Good to hear Pete!

Yes, hopefully this year, holidays can begin again.  And I'm 65 this year !! 😀

Cheers,

Lee

• 11 months later...
On 3/8/2021 at 11:58 AM, Pete Dowson said:

Regards
Pete

Pete..

Keep that "new" dog walking everyday, it will keep you alive for a long time

Regards

Paul