The simFlight Network Forums

OBS acceleration?

master_yan

I'm not sure if this is a support issue, it's actually a question. First of all I've gotten rid of the 10-degree heading bug in MSFS thanks to FSUIPC, and for that I'm very grateful. Now, however, I sort of have the opposite problem. I have the Honeycomb Bravo and have the OBS DECR/INCR mapped, meaning I can just twist the DECR/INCR knob to change the OBS in the plane. But now with it going 1 degree at a time it takes all day to rotate any meaningful amount. Like if I want to change the OBS 90 degrees it takes, well, 90 clicks.

Is there a way to have it move 1 degree at a time when you turn it slowly, like it is doing, but make it move more/faster if you spin the knob on the Bravo? That's pretty much exactly how it works in the real airplane.

Thanks in advance for any help and apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Edited by master_yan

32 minutes ago, master_yan said:

Is there a way to have it move 1 degree at a time when you turn it slowly, like it is doing, but make it move more/faster if you spin the knob on the Bravo? That's pretty much exactly how it works in the real airplane.

If its a one button rotary,  try the provided lua script, documented in the Lua Plug-ins document:

rotaries.lua This uses the HID features of the com library to implement fast and slow turning button results for rotary encoders which otherwise only indicate one button press/release for each direction.

If its a two-button type, then you can assign the different buttons to different increments (using the offset incr/decr controls).

If its a phased rotary, then check the advanced user guide on how to handle.

John

• Like 1

You always offer instructive answers that open the way for a person to learn and I really appreciate that.

I remember when I first started with FSUIPC, LUA, FSinterrogate...6-7 years ago.

I got the whole package...opened it and it took me less than a minute to realize what's goin on and close everything.

I opened the starters guide and, well, started. The next month was just studying your materials and practicing with everything in P3D, I wasn't flying, wasn't doing anything else. I even got to know about how some utilities came to be, some stories from the past that one of you two wrote.

It is the powerful work because I do not get that easily consumed by a professional literature. Years later, certain techniques I've seen in your papers I used in my PhD.

Back then I have mentioned it and I will repeat it now - you are true scientists with FSUIPC being a true scientific piece of work.   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 5:16 PM, John Dowson said:

If its a one button rotary,  try the provided lua script, documented in the Lua Plug-ins document:

If its a two-button type, then you can assign the different buttons to different increments (using the offset incr/decr controls).

If its a phased rotary, then check the advanced user guide on how to handle.

John

Hi John,

I appreciate the feedback. I've tried the Rotary lua and it doesn't change the behavior of the dial. It's a twist knob that you can turn left or right to spin the OBS in either direction. For this could I use:

0C4E 2 NAV1 OBS setting (degrees, 0–359) Ok-SimC Ok-SimE

The question I have, is how I do make it turn one degree at a time when I turn it slowly, and increase the speed when I "spin" the knob quickly (basically get it to behave like a real OBS knob does)? How would I program that or which values would I use?

I very much appreciate your help, and your program!

12 hours ago, master_yan said:

The question I have, is how I do make it turn one degree at a time when I turn it slowly, and increase the speed when I "spin" the knob quickly (basically get it to behave like a real OBS knob does)? How would I program that or which values would I use?

As I explained in my earlier post, it depends on how your rotary functions - is it a one button or two button (each direction) type? Or is it phased? Use the appropriate method as advised, depending upon the type of your rotary.

If you want to use offset 0C4E, you need to assign to the Offset Word Increment/Decrement controls using that offset and an appropriate parameter, which is the amount to increment or decrement on each 'button press', so use 1 for the slow incr/decr, and maybe 10 or so for the fast inc/dec.

13 hours ago, John Dowson said:

As I explained in my earlier post, it depends on how your rotary functions - is it a one button or two button (each direction) type? Or is it phased? Use the appropriate method as advised, depending upon the type of your rotary.

If you want to use offset 0C4E, you need to assign to the Offset Word Increment/Decrement controls using that offset and an appropriate parameter, which is the amount to increment or decrement on each 'button press', so use 1 for the slow incr/decr, and maybe 10 or so for the fast inc/dec.

Fantastic, thank you, John. My apologies, I didn't quite understand what you meant earlier, but I do now. Will let you know how it goes!