The simFlight Network Forums

Mid-Air Collision (???)

Newzman

Greetings.

The other day while controlling at PHL, I was penalized for a mid-air collision (Oh, the humanity! 🙂 ) of two incoming flights. They were cleared on land on Runway 26 and still a few miles out. I probably could have avoided this by diverting one to 27L or 27R. But...am I wrong to presume that TRACON/Approach would sequence incoming flights safely?  I can't recall the separation but they were NOT nose-to-tail close on radar. Any guidance would be appreciated. I prefer to avoid future "Mid-flight Passenger Exchanges." 😉  Leon

46 minutes ago, Newzman said:

But...am I wrong to presume that TRACON/Approach would sequence incoming flights safely?

You can’t presume anything. Especially when you have no control over speed and you are getting the handoff off 20 miles out. Plus using runway 26 is highly questionable.

I think it is due more to the runway layout than a bug. That’s why in real life they do arrivals on 27R and departures on 27L to avoid separation issues. And then if you try to add 26 to the mix, you’re just asking for trouble.