The simFlight Network Forums

Flight Sim Center 737 TQ and Throttle Offsets

Hi:

I recently purchased a COM port-based 737 TQ from FSC, and it interfaces with the two sims I use (P3Dv5 and MSFS) using FSUIPC and ipc.write commands. The PMDG stuff seems to work fine in P3D; however, I am not having any success getting the FSUIPC throttle offsets (I have tried 088C and 089A for throttle 1, for example) to manipulate the following aircraft throttles:

-FS Labs A320 (P3Dv5)

-FBW A320neo (MSFS)    (both flap and spoiler offsets work fine)

-PMDG DC6 (MSFS)   (flap offset works fine)

I have a very limited understanding of the programming/differences between FS Controls and Offsets, but I am wondering if I am missing any other throttle offsets that might effect the above aircraft? Both the FS Labs A320 and FBW A32N throttles are successfully manipulated with my Warthog Throttle using Direct Calibration to Throttle1, Throttle2.

Worst case scenario, I would imagine there is a way of calling the FS controls within a LUA script, saying using ipc.control?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Regards,

Troy

56 minutes ago, vanislepilot said:

Worst case scenario, I would imagine there is a way of calling the FS controls within a LUA script, saying using ipc.control?

The sort of complex add-on aircraft you have those problems with tend to do their own thing with some controls, especially throttles. I recommend you use the Axis Throttle1 Set and Axis Throttle2 Set controls via ipc.control, as these are what the aircraft coding is expecting to see. I don't understand why you consider that "worst case".

Pete

As well as what Pete has said, I think for the FBW A320 you need to initially set-up the throttle via the flypad/EFB. See, for example, 

For the DC6, you should try the *_EX1 throttle controls, i.e.
    THROTTLE_AXIS_SET_EX1, or
    THROTTLE1_AXIS_SET_EX1
    THROTTLE2_AXIS_SET_EX1
    ...etc
You can also try activating logging for Events and Axis Controls,  then move the throttle in the UI to see what events/controls are logged, and then use those.

For a full list of the controls/events, see the Controls List for MSFS Build 999.txt document which is generated when you run FSUIPC7 and located under your Documents folder in an FSUIPC7 folder, with the rest of the FSUIPC7 documentation.

John    

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

19 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

I don't understand why you consider that "worst case".

Worst case, because it will require learning to code all over again on my end! 😅 Would you guys have handy examples of a throttle increase/decrease lua code?

Cheers

Troy

Edited by vanislepilot

2 hours ago, vanislepilot said:

Would you guys have handy examples of a throttle increase/decrease lua code?

No. You can check the User Contributions section for various lua throttle scripts, but I'm not sure if those will be of any help. Best to just try setting it up yourself initially.

But why use the inc/dec controls rather than the axes controls? Or are you assigning the inc/dec to buttons? 
For the FSL A320, also see 

John

9 hours ago, vanislepilot said:

Worst case, because it will require learning to code all over again on my end!

Sorry. why? You are currently using ipc.write functions to write the axis value to offsets. What is so hard changing those functions to use ipc.control instead, to send the axis values to the relevant axis controls?

Where is there new coding to learn? You are using a control number instead of an offset. The only difference is that the Axis control values run from -16384 (idle) to +16383 (full thrust) instead of 0 to 16383, so you need to change the value (n) being written to 2*n - 16384

Pete

The throttle quadrant has its own software in which you set only the desired FSUIPC offset that the corresponding throttle lever will effect (see UI screenshot). There is no direct way of calling FS controls unfortunately, so I have actually not needed to code at all up until this point - so it's all new to me.

111.gif

9 hours ago, vanislepilot said:

The throttle quadrant has its own software in which you set only the desired FSUIPC offset that the corresponding throttle lever will effect (see UI screenshot). There is no direct way of calling FS controls unfortunately

Well that is far too restrictive. Perhaps you should talk to FSC about that and get them to improve their throttle quadrant driver?

There is one other possibility not involving programming: use the offsets in the range 3BA8 - 3BC4. Check the List of Offsets document to see which of those to use. Then you should be able to assign the throttle axes in the FSUIPC Axis assignments tab, and calibrate if necessary too, just as for a proper Windows Joystick type device .

That's only for writing. Leave the read offsets as they are.

Pete