The simFlight Network Forums

Reading FSUIPC Controls

Scotfleiger

Hi John

Traditionally, FSUIPC Controls are used as events to trigger or send parameters using ipc.control(). FlyByWire has defined many MSFS Variables as Read/Write. An example is LIGHT_POTENTIOMETER:7 for the A32NX Dome Light. As MSFS Variables translate to Controls is there thought of being able to read these values?

36 minutes ago, Scotfleiger said:

As MSFS Variables translate to Controls

This is not quire correct. A variable (simvar or A:var) is a variable, that can be read-only or read-write.
A control is an event, an action that changes something. An event can update one or more simvars, but there is no direct translation (in many cases) between an event and the simvars that it can change, although this can sometimes be determined.

If you look at the FSUIPC offset document for FSUIPC 4/5/6, in the write column you will see something like Ok-SimC and Ok-SimE. The former implies that the simvar is updated directly (the simvar must be writeable) while the latter indicates that an event/control is sent for the write operation.

43 minutes ago, Scotfleiger said:

is there thought of being able to read these values?

I have an idea to allow the user to add any simvar (including a specific simvar index) to a free offset, and maybe also allow already allocated offsets to be re-purposed to hold different simvars. This will be for reading, but I could also allow writing/updating if the simvar is writeable.

This functionality is the next piece on my list to look into. Depending on how busy support keeps me, I should be able to start looking into this in detail in a couple of weeks.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrew,

On 2/9/2022 at 7:03 PM, John Dowson said:

I have an idea to allow the user to add any simvar (including a specific simvar index) to a free offset, and maybe also allow already allocated offsets to be re-purposed to hold different simvars. This will be for reading, but I could also allow writing/updating if the simvar is writeable.

This functionality is the next piece on my list to look into. Depending on how busy support keeps me, I should be able to start looking into this in detail in a couple of weeks.

I have just released a beta version of FSUIPC7 that allows you to add any simvar to an FSUIPC offset for reading and writing (if the simvar is writeable). I will release this officially sometime next week, but if you would like to try this, please see the following post:

John