The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC to make smaller incremental movements when using keyboard to control flight surfaces.

On 10/5/2022 at 12:37 AM, John Dowson said:

I will take a ;ppl at the script again later today and try it for more than a few seconds and let you know if I find anything...

Thank you, sir, but no worries, I have abandoned this pursuit as I don't want to waste anymore of either of our times. Either way, I greatly appreciate every minute of your help on this matter, and I do think that there are others out there flying on keyboard. If we do end up fixing the script I would use it in the future.

I am having an issue with my FSUPIC calibrations disappearing, that I will open a new thread about.

16 hours ago, PythonFlightSim said:

If we do end up fixing the script I would use it in the future.

Fixing the script how? Is this your issue?

On 10/4/2022 at 2:47 PM, PythonFlightSim said:

Reproduced a bug I keep experiencing. It seems that after you take off, if you increment past the center of an axis, you can end up not being able to increment back past that axis. I end up being stuck in one axis direction, unless I resort to holding the button down, to get back past that axis again. Doesn't always happen, and I am wondering if it's detecting that I am trying to hold down the button, when I am not?

I don't see this at all and would need to see your logs to see why this is happening. The script works as expected here, although I find it very difficult to control using keys rather than a yoke or joystick...

I think I also now understand why the Num5 key isn't working for you - you do not have NumLock on! I just tried with NumLock off, and the other keys still work but not the 5 key. So, either switch numlock on, or change the centreAllKeycode from 101 (Numpad5 with NumLock On) to 12 (Numpad5 with NumLock Off). Looks like the other numpad keys send the same keycode regardless of the NumLock state. Or, you can just add the following line to the bottom of the script to support when numlock is on or off:

event.key(12, 0, 1, "flightControl") -- request on initial press only, NumPad5 with NumLock Off

John

On 10/7/2022 at 3:55 AM, John Dowson said:

Fixing the script how? Is this your issue?

I don't see this at all and would need to see your logs to see why this is happening. The script works as expected here, although I find it very difficult to control using keys rather than a yoke or joystick...

I think I also now understand why the Num5 key isn't working for you - you do not have NumLock on! I just tried with NumLock off, and the other keys still work but not the 5 key. So, either switch numlock on, or change the centreAllKeycode from 101 (Numpad5 with NumLock On) to 12 (Numpad5 with NumLock Off). Looks like the other numpad keys send the same keycode regardless of the NumLock state. Or, you can just add the following line to the bottom of the script to support when numlock is on or off:

event.key(12, 0, 1, "flightControl") -- request on initial press only, NumPad5 with NumLock Off

John

Hard to explain over text I guess, which is why I was hoping to just share my screen with you. I will send you the logs sometime as well as perhaps a quick video capture of what is going on.

I definitely did not have num lock on as the rest of the controls seemed to work fine without it, so that explains it! Will change the code so it works without it on.

Thanks again 😃

Just now, PythonFlightSim said:

I find it very difficult to control using keys

On a side note, I just wanted to say that once you get used to it, it makes it so easy that I feel it's like cheating. You can count on the preciseness of each button press turning X degrees, whereas with yoke, its by feel, and therefore never identical. You can also count on it staying at that X degrees turn, whereas your body can have small movements for various reasons, that will slowly affect the degrees. For sharp turns, it doesn't work so well, lol. For landing though, it's always butter.

Most importantly, I won't always have a dedicated room for a yoke on a desk, so being able to fly with less desk space is real handy. Cheers!