The simFlight Network Forums

strange wind updates V 3.125

Hi Guys

I use Activ Sky 1.91 with FS2004 and FSUIPC 3.125 full registered.

My Problem: I used the option smooth wind changes: 5 seconds for every 1 degree or 1 kts.

But the current situation: I fly have 80 kts on the nose 2 seconds later 60 kts from the left...and so on and so on.

Have anyone an Idea?

Dont know what i can make better on the situation

My Problem: I used the option smooth wind changes: 5 seconds for every 1 degree or 1 kts.

But the current situation: I fly have 80 kts on the nose 2 seconds later 60 kts from the left...and so on and so on.

Have anyone an Idea?

As it says in the FSUIPC documentation, its wind smoothing only works for global weather. Please see the "Important" announcement at the top of the forum, or the similar section about FS2004 global weather problems near the end of the FSUIPC documentation.

I have actually come to the conclusion than the smoothing options in FSUIPC are really of no practical application in FS2004, except the visibility one. Only the visibility works well, because I found ways to by-pass FS's processing for visibility control.

I've not actually removed the facilities (yet!) in the hope that I can make them work better in the future, but it isn't looking promising I'm afraid.

Meanwhile, both FSMeteo and ActiveSky authors are hard at work trying to solve the problems with more control over the way the original data is processed before being sent to FS. I think the newer releases, as they appear, will be superior, even if they may not quite fully solve wind shear problems.

Just as an aside, you should know that severe wind reversal problems can and do occur quite often just using native FS2004 weather downloading facilities as well. It isn't by any means a fault of the weather programs or of FSUIPC. There is something wrong in the FS2004 weather interpolation algorithms, I'm afraid.

Regards,

Pete

thx pete for your reply..

thats indeed pretty bad, cause when i use Active Sky i have situation that is unacceptble for me, cause i cant fly with it.

But the other thing. When i load Jeppesen weather i never have a wind.

And the other, other thing ;-) some friends running with the smooth options in FSUIPC and never have problems with wind smooth changes...

indeed really bad

thats indeed pretty bad, cause when i use Active Sky i have situation that is unacceptble for me, cause i cant fly with it.

Well, that's indeed most unusual because most find it fine, most of the time. It probably depends where you fly and the reliability of the weather station reports nearby. I think the extreme variability comes from nearby weather stations filing reports at different times.

Why not check with the author about progress with the new version? I don't know how he's dealing with this, but I have suggested that some smoothing might be applied before the data is sent to FS.

But the other thing. When i load Jeppesen weather i never have a wind.

You mean you never get any winds with your Jeppesen downloads? Have you left the option for upper winds turned off? If so, then certainly you will not get any winds at cruise levels. Not realistic at all.

Whenever I've used FS downloaded weather (and with the upper winds obtained as well), it is okay in sparse areas, but fly somewhere where there are multiple weather stations, like Chicago area, and the wind shear (180 degree reversals even) can be quite frequent. I think this is a problem partly of the data and partly of FS's poor internal smoothing.

I expect it varies a great deal from download to download, just as it must with ActiveSky or, indeed, FSMeteo.

And the other, other thing ;-) some friends running with the smooth options in FSUIPC and never have problems with wind smooth changes...

With what weather sources? The facilities in FSUIPC just do not operate with localised weather at all. I have no way of getting to it. And, unfortuately, all global weather becomes localised after a time, as discussed in the references I gave you.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

maybe I´m just lucky, but the wind smoothing options works with me.

I have often heard from fellow simmers that the had this sudden changes and I told them to get this option set within your FSUIPC, which with many of them did not work .

But I have the option checked and even if the wind changes the direction, because it was updated from a new station, the change itself within the simulator are smooth.

I don´t know why, but it works .

So, it should help you to have another look why its working for a few of us.

Regards

maybe I´m just lucky

Yes, I think you are lucky, just as I am. I think also it helps keeping the flights short. The global weather (on which the FSUIPC wind smoothing does operate okay) stays relevant for a while after being set, it just gradually becomes "locaslised" and then beyond FSUIPC's reach. You can get the weather program to then restore it all, and carry on, but it's annoying to have to do that.

I have it on good authority that the next version of ActiveWeather (version 2 I think), which uses local weather like the current FSMeteo, will smooth the wind data in advance, via an option which I think is called "Route-Based Wind Smoothing".

Regards,

Pete