The simFlight Network Forums

MSFS-Makerwys compared to SimConnect FacilityRequestData

I do have issues when reading the correct heading of runways with MakeRwys 5.13.

Example: KSEA runway 16L,16C and 16R

Headings of runways when reading from Runways.csv( the other Runway formats have the same issue) 

KSEA 161 47.46379 -122.308 433 161 11890 110.3
KSEA 162 47.46383 -122.318 415 161 8493 110.75
KSEA 163 47.46381 -122.311 430 161 9418 111.7

MagVar for KSEA is 16, so it is 177 compared to 180 via SimConnect.

When I read the heading via MSFS's SimConnect FacilityRequest i get 180

image.thumb.png.75c2cd20ff97ee2fbe03bb9a1cfe23f9.png

I am not saying that MakeRwys gives faulty data, but why do I get different results.

When I use the data from MakeRwys in my app, my airplane is not alighed correctly with the runway heading, but with a offset of 3 degrees.

When I use the data from SimConnect in my app, the airplane is correcly align with the runway heading in MSFS.

It is not only KSEA, I just used it as an example.

This issue was not there before. Could it be something in the latest MakeRwys version?

19 hours ago, roarkr said:

This issue was not there before.

Before what?

MakeRwys just reads what it says in the BGLs. That's never been changed. Maybe the MagVar at the time of the scenery build was 3 degrees different to now. Is MSFS using updated data but not applying this to the sceneries?

Please note that MakeRwys is no longer being maintained. The source is now open to developers -- John will give you the details if you need them.

Pete

8 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

The source is now open to developers -- John will give you the details if you need them.

Details are currently on the Download Links -> Useful additional programs page, and will also soon be on www.fsuipc.com (once I have gotten around to updating this page):

Note that MakeRunways is now closed for further development, as Peter Dowson, the original author of this product, has now retired. However, you can download the source and update for your own needs. The source code for this utility is available on GitHub at the following location: https://github.com/jldowson/MakeRunways/. If you would like to take over development and support of this product, please PM me (John Dowson).

John

I believe "Is MSFS using updated data but not applying this to the sceneries?" could be the cause of this problem.

If that is the case then MakeRwys can't be used to get the correct airport info by reading the BGLs.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Data from Little NavMap also give different Heading values for airport runways than those found using MakeRwys. They are the same as found with SimConnect.

Conclusion: MakeRwws data is not correct. and time to skip it.

image.thumb.png.3808cd5b22bf80fda3094a57b601b150.png

Could it be the magvar (bgl) data? See https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html : (from Dr P3D)

Updated Magnetic variation data for FS9 FSX-P3D-MSFS Magnetic variation data calculated by FS9 date back to 1988 and have significantly changed (several degrees in some parts of the world). Those used by FSX, P3Dv1-4 and MSFS are identical and date back to 2009. P3DV5 uses more recent data (around 2018-2019). You can download the latest MAGDEC file from here:- https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html

But 3 degrees seems a big magvar change....Let me know if you update/try this and get better results....

John

On 1/19/2023 at 12:50 PM, roarkr said:

I believe "Is MSFS using updated data but not applying this to the sceneries?" could be the cause of this problem.

The runway data provided in the runway files (Runways.csv, R5.bin and Runways.xml) does include the MagVar stated in the airport data file. If you have later MagVar figures you could use those, but the TRUE heading is still correct using the Mag Heading AND the MagVar supplied in the Makerwys data. TRUE headings don't change.

I expect newer add-on airports will already have more up to data MagVars included.

Makerwys is designed to extract and provide data from the airport files in BGLs. I'm sorry if this is not what you want.

Pete