The simFlight Network Forums

Installed latest version of FSUIPC and only 2 key press functions I use won't work

bobsk8

I have worked on this update all morning. I only have two things I use FSUIPC paid version for,  When I press one joystick button, I want it to send a 0 ( zero) key to my PF3 ATC program.  When I press the next joystick button I want it to send an X keypress.   My former version of FSUIPC does this perfectly. The new version will not. I have a backup of the older version on a Macrium drive, and if I reinstall the older version everything works perfectly. I run the update of the latest version, and the 0 and X  keypresses again are not transmitted to the ATC program, I have done this several times. I have even tried replacing the new ini file with the one that works, and still it doesn't work.  I cannot figure out why this doesn't work

InstallFSUIPC7.log

That installation log is from 7.0.4, a version of FSUIPC which is several years old....

11 minutes ago, bobsk8 said:

When I press one joystick button, I want it to send a 0 ( zero) key to my PF3 ATC program. .  When I press the next joystick button I want it to send an X keypress.

FSUIPC does not send keys to other programs, only to MSFS.

11 minutes ago, bobsk8 said:

My former version of FSUIPC does this perfectly

I have no idea how that worked in your former version - was that 7.0.4?

Your ATC will pick up the keypresses sent if they are registered as hot keys by the ATC program - maybe it works that way.
I can only check that FSUIPC is sending the key presses (to MSFS). To do this, activate logging for Buttons & Keys in FSUIPC7, and generate a log file showing your issue, i.e. load an aircraft and press the assigned buttons. Then exit FSUIPC7 and show me/attach your FSUIPC7.ini and FSUIPC7.log files.

John

P.S. I will look into this further and check sending key presses tomorrow. I can't access MSFS now or for the next few hours as I'm updating in another PC....

Edited by John Dowson
PS added

I use FSUIPC to just generate a keypress on my keyboard, the number 0 and the letter X. The ATC program is set to pick up those two keypresses. I was using 7.0.4 which still  works perfectly. The files I am sending you are the updated FSUIPC where it does not work with the updated version. 

Hoping that is sufficient. 

FSUIPC7.log FSUIPC7.ini

Can you please attach full logs, not partial/continuation ones (i.e. don't start a new log file).

Your log shows that the keypresses are being sent to MSFS as assigned:

229813 Button changed: bRef=0, Joy=1 (B), Btn=15, Pressed
   229813 [Buttons] 3=PB,15,K48,8
   229813 SendKeyToFS(00000030=[0], KEYDOWN) ctr=0
   229828 Sending WM_KEYDOWN, Key=48 (Scan code 11), Ctr=1
   229860 Ignoring EV_KEYDOWN received as was sent to FS: 0x30 (0)
   229922 SendKeyToFS(00000030=[0], KEYUP) ctr=0
   229938 Sending WM_KEYUP, Key=48 (Scan code 11), Ctr=1
   231516 Button changed: bRef=0, Joy=1 (B), Btn=15, Released
   231516 [Buttons] 3=PB,15,K48,8

239110 Button changed: bRef=0, Joy=1 (B), Btn=10, Pressed
   239110 [Buttons] 4=PB,10,K88,8
   239110 SendKeyToFS(00000058=[X], KEYDOWN) ctr=0
   239125 Sending WM_KEYDOWN, Key=88 (Scan code 45), Ctr=1
   239172 Ignoring EV_KEYDOWN received as was sent to FS: 0x58 (X)
   239219 SendKeyToFS(00000058=[X], KEYUP) ctr=0
   239235 Sending WM_KEYUP, Key=88 (Scan code 45), Ctr=1
   240297 Button changed: bRef=0, Joy=1 (B), Btn=10, Released
   240297 [Buttons] 4=PB,10,K88,8

So not sure what has changed...although I am sure there have been many changes since 7.0.6 as that is over 2 years old.

Could you generate a log file with the same logging in 7.0.6 and show that to me - it may give a clue as to what has changed.

Otherwise, rather than assigning to key press and release, you could try assigning the button press to the key press and the button release to the key release.

Ok, now this makes more sense. The older version is setting the HotKey when the keypress sent on the button press is received back:

237859 Button changed: bRef=0, Joy=1 (B), Btn=15, Pressed
   237859 [Buttons] 3=PB,15,K48,8
   237859 SendKeyToFS(00000030=[0], KEYDOWN) ctr=0
   237875 Sending WM_KEYDOWN, Key=48 (Scan code 11), Ctr=1
   237890 EV_KEYDOWN received: 0x30 (0)
   237890 KEYDOWN: VK=48, Waiting=0, Repeat=N, Shifts=0, HotKey 33214 Set
   237968 SendKeyToFS(00000030=[0], KEYUP) ctr=0
   237984 Sending WM_KEYUP, Key=48 (Scan code 11), Ctr=1
   238015 EV_KEYUP received: 0x30 (0)
   238015 KEYUP: VK=48, Waiting=0, Shifts=0
   238015 .. KeyUp received from FS but not programmed
   238265 Button changed: bRef=0, Joy=1 (B), Btn=15, Released

In a later version, I ignore key presses sent as this can cause issues in certain situations with keys being sent and received in an eternal loop.
I must admit, I forgot about HotKeys in this situation - and am surprised that this hasn't been reported before. I will look into this and post an updated version for you to test in the next few days (hopefully!).

1 hour ago, bobsk8 said:

Question, how do a assign a button release to key release.? 

Using the appropriate controls assigned on button press and button release. This should be straightforward if you look at the UI - and read the User guide if its not obvious...
But no point in doing this anyway, as the issue is that the HotKey that is registered is not being set. As I said, I will look into this and post an update for you to test,

John

Just now, John Dowson said:

Ok, now this makes more sense. The older version is setting the HotKey when the keypress sent on the button press is received back:

In a later version, I ignore key presses sent as this can cause issues in certain situations with keys being sent and received in an eternal loop.
I must admit, I forgot about HotKeys in this situation - and am surprised that this hasn't been reported before. I will look into this and post an updated version for you to test in the next few days (hopefully!).

Using the appropriate controls assigned on button press and button release. This should be straightforward if you look at the UI - and read the User guide if its not obvious...
But no point in doing this anyway, as the issue is that the HotKey that is registered is not being set. As I said, I will look into this and post an update for you to test,

John

Thanks, I appreciate your help in this. 

Can you try the attached version please. In this, I have allowed passthrough of key presses sent to MSFS and then received back. This should solve your issue, but I am not 100% convinced that this will be the final solution. I need to do some more testing on this, but would confirm the issue if you could test and report back.

To use, re-install the 7.3.19 version, and then use the attached exe (7.3.20a) to replace the one installed.

Thanks.

FSUIPC7.exe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

Can you try the attached version please. In this, I have allowed passthrough of key presses sent to MSFS and then received back. This should solve your issue, but I am not 100% convinced that this will be the final solution. I need to do some more testing on this, but would confirm the issue if you could test and report back.

To use, re-install the 7.3.19 version, and then use the attached exe (7.3.20a) to replace the one installed.

Thanks.

FSUIPC7.exe 648.5 kB · 1 download

Unfortunately , this didn't work at all. I installed the file, I booted up MSFS, and all my settings in Assistance went to easy, and everything was jumping all over on the screen, with loud clicking  noises. I had to restart PC, go back to my old version of FSUIPC, and reset all the settings. Scared me for awhile till I got everything going again. 

34 minutes ago, bobsk8 said:

Unfortunately , this didn't work at all. I installed the file, I booted up MSFS, and all my settings in Assistance went to easy, and everything was jumping all over on the screen, with loud clicking  noises. I had to restart PC, go back to my old version of FSUIPC, and reset all the settings. Scared me for awhile till I got everything going again. 

I don't understand this at all - this can in no way be related to that version (only one line of code commented out in the key sending code)...something else must be going on with that test. Did you install 7.3.19 first? Can you please try again to see if this happens again...

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

I don't understand this at all - this can in no way be related to that version (only one line of code commented out in the key sending code)...something else must be going on with that test. Did you install 7.3.19 first? Can you please try again to see if this happens again...

It works now... I redid everything from scratch.  I installed older version into a fresh folder, updated it to latest version with a new download of the update file. I then replaced the exe in the updated version with the one you sent me, and now everything works. 😃

• 4 weeks later...

First check you are using the latest beta of FSUIPC7, 7.3.20a, posted above - this won't work in the current released version (7.3.19). You need to register the hot-keys being used - I'm not sure how this is done with PF3 - whether this is done automatically by PF3 or via a lua script or something else. Check the PF3 documentation or maybe @bobsk8could advise.

John

Thanks John for the info, I thought that it would work with the latest official version 7.3.19 but I read over your comment to then install the .exe from 7.3.20a 😞
I will do that. How to get these hotkeys registered also puzzled me as I saw that in @bobsk8 log file that those hotkeys where registered/declared.
Reason why addressed my question to him, but good thing you answered too because I would not have used the 7.3.20a 😉

Cheers,
Luc