The simFlight Network Forums

ATR 72 Throttle Calibration?

AndyCYXU

First, there are now quite a few (423) MF presets available for the ATRs. These are relatively new and are not available in the events.txt file that comes with the latest version of FSUIPC7.  The latest file that includes these events is attached - you can use it to replace the one in your FSUIPC7 installation folder: events.txt
(The ATR presets start with MSATR)

For the throttle configuration, this depends on whether you want a reverse axis on the throttle axis or not. If you want a reverse axis, then just assign your throttle axis/axes to Throttle 1/2 Axis Set Ex1. If you have a reverse axis configured in the EFB, then this will give you the full range of the throttle movement, including reverse. If you don't want to use the reverse range of the axis, simply go into the EFB and deselect/uncheck the Throttle Hardware has reverse axis option. This will then give you the range between F1/G1 (depending on state of Idle Gate) and full power (i.e. no reverse).

You can also use a preset to control the throttle and limit its range (i.e. no reverse) without going into the EFB to uncheck for reverse thrust. This will depend on your throttle axis range, but for a standard range of -16384 - +16384, then the following preset (added to the myevents.txt file) will give the range between F1/G1 (depending on state of Idle Gate) and full power, even when the EFB throttle config is set to use a reverse axis:

MSATR THROTTLE1 LEVER SET2#@ 16384 + 0.74414 * 8000 - -8000 max 16383 min (>K:THROTTLE1_AXIS_SET_EX1)
MSATR THROTTLE2 LEVER SET2#@ 16384 + 0.74414 * 8000 - -8000 max 16383 min (>K:THROTTLE2_AXIS_SET_EX1)

(what this does is add 16384 to your axis value to give a range between 0 - +32768, then scales this to give a range 0 - +24384, then subtracts 8000 to give the axis range as -8000 - +16384, idle to full)

To assign to these presets, once added to the myevents.txt file, check Select for preset and assign to the preset on the axis in the left-hand side of the panel, as you would to any other axis control.

However, I do think it is (probably) better to just assign to Throttle 1/2 Axis Set Ex1 and then calibrate in the EFB, either with or without the reverse thrust.
NB I'm not sure how to get into reverse thrust yet even when using the axis - it doesn't seem to go into revere even when full reverse set on the lever (I am probably missing something here...). Therefore probably better to use the no reverse thrust EFB config option for the time being. I will look into reverse thrust config another day, but If anyone has reverse thrust working, on an axis or otherwise, please let me know how this is configured on the ATR...

I also find it useful to set a switch (or button) for the throttle idle guard, using the presets MSATR_ENG_IDLE_GATE_FLT_PUSH (on press and MSATR_ENG_IDLE_GATE_GND_PULL (on release) - note that MSATR_ENG_IDLE_GATE_TOGGLE is also available.

For the condition levers, you can use the following presets (again, add to your myevents.txt file):

MSATR CONDITION1 LEVER SET2#@ 16384 + 10923 / near 0 max 3 min (>L:MSATR_CONDITION1_POS)
MSATR CONDITION2 LEVER SET2#@ 16384 + 10923 / near 0 max 3 min (>L:MSATR_CONDITION2_POS)

If you assign an axis to those presets, this will give you the 4 discrete positions (0-3) over the full range (-16384 - + 16384) of the axis.

Also make sure that you do not calibrate the throttle axis in FSUIPC - make sure that you have a profile-specific calibration section, and reset the calibration for the throttle on pages 1 and 3.

John

[N.B. I have added a '2' to the preset names to distinguish them from the MF presets, which are documented on the HubHop site but don't appear yet in the events.txt file]

Edited by John Dowson
correction to reverse thrust (not working)
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

NB I'm not sure how to get into reverse thrust yet even when using the axis - it doesn't seem to go into revere even when full reverse set on the lever (I am probably missing something here...). Therefore probably better to use the no reverse thrust EFB config option for the time being. I will look into reverse thrust config another day, but If anyone has reverse thrust working, on an axis or otherwise, please let me know how this is configured on the ATR...

Ok - if using reverse on the axis range, you have to configure idle to be at around -8000 in the EFB throttle config, and then you get reverse thrust in the -8000 - -16384 range.

On 5/4/2023 at 9:59 AM, John Dowson said:

Also make sure that you

#1 do not calibrate the throttle axis in FSUIPC -

#2 make sure that you have a profile-specific calibration section, and

#3 reset the calibration for the throttle on pages 1 and 3.

OK so just to finish this topic, turns out the above was the main culprit of my trouble, Throttle was calibrated via FSUIPC and I did not use Profile-Specific calibration

On 5/4/2023 at 9:59 AM, John Dowson said:

For the throttle configuration, this depends on whether you want a reverse axis on the throttle axis or not. If you want a reverse axis, then just assign your throttle axis/axes to Throttle 1/2 Axis Set Ex1. If you have a reverse axis configured in the EFB, then this will give you the full range of the throttle movement, including reverse. If you don't want to use the reverse range of the axis, simply go into the EFB and deselect/uncheck the Throttle Hardware has reverse axis option. This will then give you the range between F1/G1 (depending on state of Idle Gate) and full power (i.e. no reverse).

I had some time to play this afternoon, did as you explained here making sure the above in RED is true and everything works like a charm via FSUIPC no need for settings throttles in MSFS !

Thanks guys

Andy

On 4/30/2023 at 6:32 PM, target11 said:

Good morning
for a hotas warthog, when the hotas throttle is on idle, the throttles on the atr are on reverse to counter this, i.e. when the throttle is on idle and also on the atr, this is what I did.
2=CZ,256,F,67110,0,0,0,*1,+8192 -{ TO SIM: THROTTLE2_AXIS_SET_EX1 }-
3=CR,256,F,67103,0,0,0,*1,+8192 -{ TO SIM: THROTTLE1_AXIS_SET_EX1 }-

and for the reverse I have them configured on a button
0=RC,6,K113,8 -{Key press: F2}-
1=RC,7,K112,8 -{Key press: F1}-

HI sorry to bug you I was wondering if you still able to use your reversers, after this update all i seem i can do is use TOGGLE REVERSER and the just move my throttle forward and it acts like reverse, not able to use the F1/F2 keys anymore

What is the position of your idle gate switch? If that is in the in position, F2 will not decrement into reverse. You can also try activating logging for Events and open the logging console - do you see the THROTTLE_CUT event when pressing F1, and the THROTTLE_DEC event when pressing F2?

I think it would also be better to not have any axis scaling on the throttle assignments, and configure in the EFB if not using a reverse range on your axis.

9 hours ago, target11 said:

for me everything works well and as I said I configured the reverse on a button

yeah man, thanks, I just did like you and that works fine this EFB he made does not work well with FSUIPC

10 hours ago, John Dowson said:

What is the position of your idle gate switch? If that is in the in position, F2 will not decrement into reverse. You can also try activating logging for Events and open the logging console - do you see the THROTTLE_CUT event when pressing F1, and the THROTTLE_DEC event when pressing F2?

I think it would also be better to not have any axis scaling on the throttle assignments, and configure in the EFB if not using a reverse range on your axis.

Yes idle gate is in correct position console sees these being pressed but maybe because it was calibrated using EFB the F2/F1 (F10/F9 respectively in my set up) keys are not moving throttle to reverse, I just did like target11 and that works, little finicky to park throttles in the notch without the calibration, but at least reverse works fine using F2/F1 assigned to a button

[Profile]
Created=06/05/2023 22:16:08
[Axes]
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=AR,256,D,23,0,0,0	-{ DIRECT: Flaps }-
1=AV,256,F,67110,0,0,0,*1,+8192	-{ TO SIM: THROTTLE2_AXIS_SET_EX1 }-
2=AS,256,F,67103,0,0,0,*1,+8192	-{ TO SIM: THROTTLE1_AXIS_SET_EX1 }-
[Buttons]
3=RA,4,K121,8 	-{Key press: F10}-
5=PA,6,K188,8 	-{Key press: ,<key}-
6=PA,3,K188,10 	-{Key press: lctl+,<key}-
7=RC,6,CPMSATR_FGCP_ALT_DEC,0 	-{Preset Control}-
8=RC,7,CPMSATR_FGCP_ALT_INC,0 	-{Preset Control}-
9=RC,9,CPMSATR_FGCP_HDG_INC,0 	-{Preset Control}-
10=RC,8,CPMSATR_FGCP_HDG_DEC,0 	-{Preset Control}-
16=UA,4,K120,8 	-{Key press: F9}-
[JoystickCalibration]
AllowSuppressForPFCquad=Yes
ExcludeThrottleSet=Yes
ExcludeMixtureSet=Yes
ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes
SepRevsJetsOnly=No
ApplyHeloTrim=No
UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No
FlapsSetControl=0
FlapDetents=No
FlapStarts=-16384,-13410,-9653,-5583,-1461,2704,6917,10662,16332
FlapEnds=-16332,-10957,-6627,-2609,988,5357,9310,13159,16384
ReverserControl=66292
Reverser1Control=66422
Reverser2Control=66425
Reverser3Control=66428
Reverser4Control=66431
MaxThrottleForReverser=256
AileronTrimControl=66731
RudderTrimControl=66732
CowlFlaps1Control=66162
CowlFlaps2Control=66163
CowlFlaps3Control=66164
CowlFlaps4Control=66165
SteeringTillerControl=0
MaxSteerSpeed=60
RudderBlendLowest=1
Flaps=-16332,16279

ATR 72.ini

I also had to configure the axes on efb and then press default to reset what I had done on the efb, I was sure that all had been set to zero in the efb, and then I configured the axes and button in fsuipc and nothing worked, well simply the configurations in the efb were not reset, so I put the ATR_Calib.cfg file in ATR_Calib_back.cfg , deleted my atr profile file, and I reconfigured my axes and buttons in fsuipc, I say in fsuipc, nothing in the efb and nothing in msfs2020

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, target11 said:

I also had to configure the axes on efb and then press default to reset what I had done on the efb, I was sure that all had been set to zero in the efb, and then I configured the axes and button in fsuipc and nothing worked, well simply the configurations in the efb were not reset, so I put the ATR_Calib.cfg file in ATR_Calib_back.cfg , deleted my atr profile file, and I reconfigured my axes and buttons in fsuipc, I say in fsuipc, nothing in the efb and nothing in msfs2020

Yes I deleted the ATR calibration file from ATR directory also it was messing everything up, only thing I have problem with now is then I press button F2 (F10 in my case) DECREASE THROTTLE to active reversers they work good, go to reverse but then when button is released and it is programed to press F1 (F9 again for me) CUT THROTTLE I get a mega stutter as if this pressing CUT-THROTTLE is doing something else.. will need to investigate some more.. what might be causing it.. I really like this aircraft it is so much fun to finally have a flight when you can enjoy what is outside the window LOL in 737 I had no time to look outside and by the time I did I was already at FL300 + :D 

I do not understand how you configure your button I assume a push button
for me when i press the button i have
5=RC,14,K113,8 -{Key press: F2}-
when I release it I have
6=UC,14,K112,8 -{Key press: F1}-
the line numbers follow line 5 and 6

YOU
you press the button you have
3=RA,4,K121,8 -{Key press: F10}-
this line should start with 0 and not 3
when you release the button you have
16=UA,4,K120,8 -{Key press: F9}-
this line should normally start with 1 and not 16
so I don't know how to configure the button and where lines 0 1 and 2 have gone I understand that you can put any line number provided that it follows but that's weird

Afaik This is just sequence in which they were programed why it chose position 16 for it beats me but that should not matter, I will clean it up see if it makes difference as far as my stutter goes when it calls to press F1, it really shouldn't matter but I will clean it the order and see if that changes anything.

All in all it is the same as yours except for the sequence number.

OMG so I found the problem F9 was assigned to take screen shots in OpenXRToolkit for my VR so when I assigned F9 to CUT-THROTTLE well, it was also taking screenshot of whatever was happening in VR and that causes a short pause a stutter geez

image.png.86958deef2ace96072e02110a46f5c9a.png

Now everything works finally !! well at least the stutter I was able to work out, btw that is why I do not use F1-2-3 keys, but totally forgot about F9 KEY :p

5 hours ago, AndyCYXU said:

All in all it is the same as yours except for the sequence number.

The sequence number is not that important, as long as it is unique - it is fine to have gaps.

1 hour ago, AndyCYXU said:

Now everything works finally !! well at least the stutter I was able to work out, btw that is why I do not use F1-2-3 keys, but totally forgot about F9 KEY 😛

Ok, glad this problem is now sorted.

John

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi John, 

Had this all working but then had to change all the USB connections around. 

Throttle working fine but conditioner not working. 

myevents.txt: 

MSATR THROTTLE1 LEVER SET2#@ 16384 + 0.74414 * 8000 - -8000 max 16383 min (>K:THROTTLE1_AXIS_SET_EX1)
MSATR THROTTLE2 LEVER SET2#@ 16384 + 0.74414 * 8000 - -8000 max 16383 min (>K:THROTTLE2_AXIS_SET_EX1)
MSATR CONDITION1 LEVER SET2#@ 16384 + 10923 / near 0 max 3 min (>L:MSATR_CONDITION1_POS)
MSATR CONDITION2 LEVER SET2#@ 16384 + 10923 / near 0 max 3 min (>L:MSATR_CONDITION2_POS)

FSUIPC.ini: 

[Profile.ATR]
1=ATR 42-600 House Livery

[Axes.ATR]
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=CX,256,F,67103,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: THROTTLE1_AXIS_SET_EX1 }-
1=CY,256,F,67110,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: THROTTLE2_AXIS_SET_EX1 }-
3=CZ,B,0,0,PMSATR CONDITION1 LEVER SET2,0    -{ Entering=Preset Control }-
5=DX,B,0,0,PMSATR CONDITION2 LEVER SET2,0    -{ Entering=Preset Control }-
6=DZ,256,D,23,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Flaps }-

Attached is the Axis Assignment

image.jpeg.0dbbb53fac3190e5435f7fa8cec902d0.jpeg

I know i am doing something wrong but cannot remember what. 

Thanks

Sean

You assign an axis to a preset on the left hand side of the assignments panel. not the right hand side, which is used for sending controls when entering and leaving specific axes ranges. You have assigned to send this preset once when the axis value goes to 0.

Delete that assignment and assign the axis (left-hand side) not the axis range (right-hand side).

Hi John, 

Thanks for the reply 

THe reason I did that is because I am not seeing condition on the left menu: 

For throttle one I see Throttle1 Axis Set Ex1: This works

For conditioning one I expected to see  Msatr Condition1 Pos: 

All I can see is Condtion Lever 1 Set or Axis Condition Lever 1 Set neither of which do anything. 

I do have Prop Pitch1 Axis Set Ex1 which does move hte lever but only gives 3 positions. 

Any ideas? 

Sean

• 8 months later...

Hi John,
After a system reinstall I'm having trouble getting my axis presets to appear for the ATR. I have the latest verion of FSUIPC which I assume includes all current presets including those of the ATR. When I assign Send to FS as normal axis and click select for Preset I don't see any presets in the dropdown.

I had this working prior to system reinstall.

Am I doing something wrong here? 
Shouldn't I see all Axis presets from the Events txt when clicking select for Preset?
Thanks again.
Scott

8 hours ago, scottylewin said:

When I assign Send to FS as normal axis and click select for Preset I don't see any presets in the dropdown.

To assign a preset to an axis, you need to select Send Preset to FS (below Send to FS as normal axis). The Select for Preset checkbox is for assignment to button controls on entering/leaving axis ranges on the right-hand side of the axis assignment panel.

Note that in an early release there was only the one checkbox (Select for preset) which controlled the menus on both the right and left-hand sides, so some older posts may only mention this checkbox.

John