The simFlight Network Forums

LUA script for approach callouts

There is a lua script available for this in the User Contributions sub-forum: 

The script should work in MSFS for the audio callouts,  but the display facilities currently won't work unless they are using the Wnd library, which I doubt. You should also be able to disable the display facilities, or create your own lua from this.

11 hours ago, alder said:

Thank you, will give it a try.

Below is a version of my Approach Callouts script for MSFS. It uses a main LUA scirpt, called ApprCallOutMSFS.lua, and a Sound folder called ApproachCallouts that contains wav files for calling out altitudes, Decision Height, flap settings and gear position. You will see the path to my sound folder at the top of the main Lua script. There are a few displays as well that appear in a small window (based on the FSUJIPC Window library) which is located in the upper right corner of the screen on my particular setup. The uploaded zip file below contains the main Lua script and the sound folder with the wav files.

There are comments at the top of the script that are worth reading if you plan to try an use or modify it. I'll be glad to try an answer any questions.  Although I use this script all the time, it has been years since I originally wrote it for FSX and P3D, and also a while since I updated it for MSFS, so some of the design details are a bit hazy right now (age problem!).

I've also put this script in the User Contributions subforum and there is a little more info there.

Al

ApproachCallouts4MSFS.zip

• Like 1

Hi Al;

Everything works as it should, thank you again.

Now, I do only need the altitude callouts, no reminders about flags and gear. It's for the King Air.

What entries I have to keep in your lua and what can be deleted?

Roland

3 hours ago, alder said:

Why don't you try looking at this yourself? Keep a backup/safe copy of the working script, and then try removing/commenting out (using '--') the functionality that you don't want to use...

8 hours ago, alder said:

Hi Al;

Everything works as it should, thank you again.

Now, I do only need the altitude callouts, no reminders about flags and gear. It's for the King Air.

Roland

I think as John suggest above it is best to just comment out some lines of code rather than actually delete code.  If you don't want to try that here is something easy you can try.

At the top of the script in the User Settable Parameters area is this line of code which sets the Radar Altimeter altitude (in feet) at which the gear and flap call out happens:

gear_and_flap_chk_alt = 800                         -- RA for callout gear/flap check

Try changing the 800 to a value that will never happen, such as 60000 or 0 (unless maybe you land gear up!!)  Now that won't remove any code to make the script smaller if that is what you want to also do, but it should stop the call out of the gear and flap positions.  It will also be easy to go back and put in a reasonable value should you want to do that for another plane sometime in the future.

Let me know how that works.

Al

Thank you.

I've read through all the lines of codes looking for an entries which might prevent flaps and gear callouts to be activated but did not think that changing just that one line will do the trick. Perfect, you have helped me lot. It's very much appreciated.

Roland 

1 hour ago, alder said:

Thank you.

I've read through all the lines of codes looking for an entries which might prevent flaps and gear callouts to be activated but did not think that changing just that one line will do the trick. Perfect, you have helped me lot. It's very much appreciated.

Roland 

You are very welcome -- glad to help out a bit where I can.  Thanks for letting me know changing the gear_and_flap_chk_alt value did what you wanted.

Now if you want to use the script with a different plane and do want the gear and flaps check, just copy the script, give it a slightly different name, and put back a reasonable value for the  gear_and_flap_chk_alt setting.  So you then have two Approach Callout scripts, one with and one without a flap and gear check.

Al