The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC7 Updates

Dave March

Good morning John,

I was wondering if you've ever considered implementing an update's prompt when a new version of FSUIPC7 is available? I was certainly caught out this week and was still running ver 7.3.24 (I know, I know). I had some users reporting a problem with my prog no longer being able to pause the sim. Obviously it wasn't something I could recreate and then checked for a later version and also spotted the change list item 'update to pause indication offset 0x0264 and pause control offset 0x0262'. So all is now well and fixed at my end.

Just thought I'd ask the question.

1 hour ago, Dave March said:

I was wondering if you've ever considered implementing an update's prompt when a new version of FSUIPC7 is available?

Yes I have, and in fact this was implemented and released in version 7.3.23:

FSUIPC7 v7.3.23 released on 15th September 2023 contains the following changes:
  - added 'Find Preset' button to key and button assignments dialog, which shows
    a tree-view for selection of a preset
  - the preset menu for axis asignments (left-hand side to axis, not right-hand side
    to axis range) has been restricted to contain only those presets that accept a parameter
  - added version check on start-up: a message will be shown if a newer version is available

This is what it looks like:

image.png.065e3a686c42533be877b179e937d9cd.png

If you are not seeing that, check your FSUIPC7.log file for a message of the form:
     **** GetLatestRelease: Error ...

It may be that anti-virus software is blocking the call to get the current release number, so check any anti-virus software that you are using and allow the http request to get the needed information.

John

Wow, brilliant. So that window should pop up when FSUIPC starts or the message is only displayed when you hit Alt+F ? 

Not by my FS pc right now so unable to try... it's certainly not the former for me so I will check what you suggest

Thank s for the reply

27 minutes ago, Dave March said:

So that window should pop up when FSUIPC starts or the message is only displayed when you hit Alt+F ? 

The message is displayed in the window but you will only see it if/when you open the FSUIPC7 main window, by Alt+F or any other means. I guess I could automatically open the window if an update is available - I can look into adding this for the next release.

John

46 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

I guess I could automatically open the window if an update is available - I can look into adding this for the next release.

That would be excellent John... I hardly ever have to open the IPC7 window so an auto prompt would be great.

Thank you for looking at this, much appreciated

• 3 weeks later...

I was using v7.4.1 and saw FSUIPC constantly opening its window at startup saying that v7.4.2 was available. I did update as any request to a forum should be based on observations made on the most recent version, and so, the window does not appear anymore. However, it should happen again when a new version is available; unlike other members, I do not like this automatic window opening, I am not favorable to frequent updates to my system, and so, I have to close the window manually at every startup.

I understand and accept that other users are happy with that, but could you consider a more flexible option such as an ini file entry letting the user choose whether the window should show or not (similarly to the ShowSplash entry), or a badge on the tray icon ? Note that my concern is only the automatic opening of the window, the text on the window saying that there is a new version is actually a nice feature.

2 minutes ago, d147 said:

I understand and accept that other users are happy with that, but could you consider a more flexible option such as an ini file entry letting the user choose whether the window should show or not (similarly to the ShowSplash entry), or a badge on the tray icon ? Note that my concern is only the automatic opening of the window, the text on the window saying that there is a new version is actually a nice feature.

There is already an option  to have the window always open on start-up, controllable from Options -> Open On Start. This is et automatically when a new version is detected, so that the user is aware that a new version is available. I will not disable this feature. Just update when this happens - it only takes a minute or two.

9 minutes ago, d147 said:

I am not favorable to frequent updates to my system, and so, I have to close the window manually at every startup.

Then you will have to continue doing this until you update. The other option would be for me to display a separate pop-up box when a new version is available. But then you would have to acknowledge that message, just as you need to close the main window.

Sorry, but I will not be changing this. I get too many support requests from folks using old versions, and not checking to see if a new version is available first. This feature is implemented this way to prevent such issues.

John