The simFlight Network Forums

PMDG 737: Loss of climb rate when using FSUIPC7

LO Rivera

Within the past couple of days, the elevator trim has started failing for apparently no reason. I only use the Logitech trim wheel, which is always worked normally and still does. However, once I get in the air for whatever reason the elevator trim automatically sets back to zero and the plane stops climbs or accelerating. I don’t and can’t assign the Logitech panel trim wheel for trim, it simply works with the sim trim wheel out of the the box. 

After lots of trial and error, and ensuring that auto trim was not on in the assistance options, I discovered that FSUIPC is the culprit. I verified that when FSUIPC is not turned on, everything works fine.
I uninstalled FSUPIC, removed all remnant files, and performed an upgrade to the newest release from a few days ago.

Once reinstalled, I ran the Sim with FSUIPC running, but nothing assigned, again, everything worked normally. I then assigned spoilers axes, flaps axes and a few button functions, and again the elevator trim failed. While in the air and the plane again not climbing or accelerating , and the trim reverted back to zero, I closed FSUIPC. The moment I closed it, the plane started, climbing and accelerating normally again.

this makes zero sense, and I don’t understand why, regardless of not having anything access assigned to elevator trim this is occurring. If anyone has any idea how to fix this, please let me know.

Thank you!

What aircraft are you using? If this is the PMDG 737, then there is already a thread om this topic: 

Otherwise I need to see your FSUIPC7.ini and FSUIPC7log files, the latter with logging for Events and Axis Controls set, and also add monitoring for the elevator trim offset 0x0BC0 as S16.

I omitted the fact that it is on the PMDG 737 on purpose, as a process of elimination tactic. This is due to the fact that I was able to fix the issue on the new iniBuilds a300 by simply deleting the the entry for it in the .ini file, reloading and remapping the flaps and spoilers and everything worked normally again right away. It should be noted that I have nothing else mapped for the a300 except the flaps and spoilers as nothing else takes. Throttles, and reversers are mapped in the sim universally, and work fine. On the PMDG, I have buttons and switches for fuel pumps, anti-ice, some lights, and the main hydraulics. It should be clear that I have checked and ensured that in flight the flaps and spoilers are set to down, and 0 respectively, and from the outside view, they are both fully retracted.

The issue is non-existent on the Fenix. Haven't tested other aircraft.

Thank you very much! I will go through the thread linked above and reply back here if it still doesn't work. 

After tons of troubleshooting and going through the the linked thread, which helped, I found that my issue is indeed the flaps setting. Assigning the axis works without issue, it is indeed the calibration. Unfortunately, the flaps for me are useless unless I calibrate them/catch 22. Assigning and calibrating all other axes work perfectly. I tested while in the air, at level flight, and whilst climbing. I kept getting the same result, with the flaps axis assigned, the moment I calibrated it, it began to lose speed and stop climbing. Conversely, when I removed/reset, the flaps calibration, it began to fly normally again. 
I have tried assigning the axis in MSFS directly but I have no way to calibrate there. In a way, it is a relief to know what the problem is, and that it is only a problem with the flaps. As I stated, calibrating the other axes work flawlessly, and calibrating the flaps, doesn't affect any other aircraft. For now, I am working around the issue.

Thank you for your support.

How are/were your flaps assigned? Rather than assigning a flaps lever to an axis, for the PMDG you can assign to the presets that move the flaps between the discrete positions, using the PMDG B737 Set Flaps n presets (where n is 1,2,5,10,15,25,30,40 or Up - 9 discrete positions). You can do this on the right-hand side of the axes assignment panel. Alternatively, you can define a preset that does this (in a myevents.txt file) on an axis, similar to the PMDG B737 Flaps Set (Potentiometer) preset but adjusted for your axis range, and then assign your axis to this preset.

16 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Alternatively, you can define a preset that does this (in a myevents.txt file) on an axis, similar to the PMDG B737 Flaps Set (Potentiometer) preset but adjusted for your axis range, and then assign your axis to this preset.

This is the calculator code for that preset:

@ 20 - 10.03 / near 0 max 100 min s0 
l0 5 < if{ 714101 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit } 
l0 15 < if{ 714201 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit }
l0 35 < if{ 714301 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit }
l0 50 < if{ 714401 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit }
l0 64 < if{ 714501 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit }
l0 75 < if{ 714601 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit }
l0 85 < if{ 714701 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit }
l0 98 < if{ 714801 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit }
714901 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)

This looks to be written for an axis/potentiometer range of 20 - 1023. To change to a standard range of -16383 to +16383, you can use the following (i.e. add this to your myevents.txt file and then assign your axis to it):

My_PMDG_B737_Flaps_Set#@ 16383 + 327.68 / near 0 max 100 min s0 l0 5 < if{ 714101 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit } l0 15 < if{ 714201 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit } l0 35 < if{ 714301 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit } l0 50 < if{ 714401 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit } l0 64 < if{ 714501 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit } l0 75 < if{ 714601 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit } l0 85 < if{ 714701 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit } l0 98 < if{ 714801 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) quit } 714901 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)

John 

I cannot thank you enough for your prompt responses!

I also feel like an idiot. The answer was there the the whole time. 

Using the presets as you indicated, and not assigning the flaps lever as an axis worked perfectly.

The flaps calibration specifically, was the sole culprit. Setting the flaps like this fixes this issue. Everything at 100% working order again

Thank you again. I hope this helps others having the problem!

16 hours ago, John Dowson said:

How are/were your flaps assigned? Rather than assigning a flaps lever to an axis, for the PMDG you can assign to the presets that move the flaps between the discrete positions, using the PMDG B737 Set Flaps n presets (where n is 1,2,5,10,15,25,30,40 or Up - 9 discrete positions). You can do this on the right-hand side of the axes assignment panel. Alternatively, you can define a preset that does this (in a myevents.txt file) on an axis, similar to the PMDG B737 Flaps Set (Potentiometer) preset but adjusted for your axis range, and then assign your axis to this preset.

Thanks for the update. No need to feel like an idiot - this has been a problem for quite a few folks and it wasn't clear what the issue was.

7 minutes ago, LO Rivera said:

Using the presets as you indicated, and not assigning the flaps lever as an axis worked perfectly.

Did you assign to the discrete position presets using the right-hand side of the axis assignment panel, or did you try the axis preset I gave above?
Maybe if you could post/share your assignments, this will help others.

Cheers,

John

I used the discrete presets on the right side and simply moved the lever, then hit the "from" and "to" buttons after selecting each flap preset and moving the lever to its appropriate positions. I repeated that for each setting, UP, 1, 2, 5, 10, etc.

Because the pot value cannot be manually entered, I did have to move each lever slightly above ("from" setting) then slightly below ("to" setting) each physical flap setting in order for it work seamlessly, but that was overtly easy. 

Again, thank you so much for your support!

• John Dowson changed the title to PMDG 737: Loss of climb rate when using FSUIPC7