The simFlight Network Forums

Profiles and assignment UI help

DaveSCUSA

Hi John,

I'm having a few problems understanding assignments and profiles and how to fix the problems. After an update, I wanted to change the C510 Profile. MSFS wasn't appearing to find the Cockspur C510 Profile and exercising the assignments.

I decided to try to start over without reassigning the buttons and keypresses. I took out any reference to the C510 profile in the FSUIPC7.ini and renale the C510.ini file in the Profiles folder.

1. After starting MSFS and an attempt to add a new profile and  new Bravo Parking Brake button assignments, the assignments did not ask for a new profile (the profile radio button was pressed). The button assignment screen showed the C510 profile at the top although the profile entry was remove from the FSUIPC7.ini file and the profile .ini file was renamed to TestC510.ini.

2. At the time of assigning buttons, the controls redio button and the preset radio button was grayed out. The PMDG and InputEvent redio buttons were available (I wanted to change the preset assignments). As a further test, I tried reassinging a keypress which had no restriction.

Have you added any presets or button assignments for the C510 starter buttons and or the Fuel Valve buttons on the throttles (left and right)? Could you share whatever you have working. I'm having difficulty finding the binding for those switches, a combination of events and inputevents.

Another item, please. Can you add a choice to not list the InputEvents in the log when choosing the InputEvent logging of assignments?

Thanks

FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC7.log C510.ini

33 minutes ago, DaveSCUSA said:

I wanted to change the C510 Profile. MSFS wasn't appearing to find the Cockspur C510 Profile and exercising the assignments.

MSFS profiles are not associated to an aircraft. If its FSUIPC profiles you mean, then these have nothing to do with MSFS - they are loaded by FSUIPC. The usual reason that a profile isn't loaded is that the aircraft name has changed (this happens is you use a different livery or version) and you are using a full aircraft name rather than a substring to match the aircraft name to the profile (under the [Profile.xxx] FSUIPC7.ini file section).

41 minutes ago, DaveSCUSA said:

1. After starting MSFS and an attempt to add a new profile and  new Bravo Parking Brake button assignments, the assignments did not ask for a new profile (the profile radio button was pressed). The button assignment screen showed the C510 profile at the top although the profile entry was remove from the FSUIPC7.ini file and the profile .ini file was renamed to TestC510.ini.

This cannot be correct - FSUIPC cannot associate an aircraft to a profile without a match with the aircraft name in a [Profile.xxx] section. Are you sure you edited a file in the correct location? When FSUIPC7 is running, try File-> Open Installation folder to see the installation folder.
Looking at your log file, you are running FSUIPC7 from a folder on your Desktop

Reading options from "C:\Users\dhsim\Desktop\MSFS\FSUIPC7\FSUIPC7.ini"

It is not a good idea to install FSUIPC7 there - you should consider re-installing in another non-windows folder. Are you sure the ini file you attached is the one from that folder?

47 minutes ago, DaveSCUSA said:

2. At the time of assigning buttons, the controls redio button and the preset radio button was grayed out. The PMDG and InputEvent redio buttons were available (I wanted to change the preset assignments). As a further test, I tried reassinging a keypress which had no restriction.

What is a PMDG radio button? This makes no sense. Note the controls are grayed-out if/when your assignments are overloaded, i.e. you have more than one assignment on the button. Looking at your C510.ini file, you have many overloaded assignments, so I expect that is the issue here.

59 minutes ago, DaveSCUSA said:

Have you added any presets or button assignments for the C510 starter buttons and or the Fuel Valve buttons on the throttles (left and right)? Could you share whatever you have working. I'm having difficulty finding the binding for those switches, a combination of events and inputevents.

I looked at this quite a while ago  - please see 

That was quite a while ago so things may be easier, but please read that thread and try what is advised there. Any further questions on this, please use that thread, not this one.

1 hour ago, DaveSCUSA said:

Another item, please. Can you add a choice to not list the InputEvents in the log when choosing the InputEvent logging of assignments?

Not really...can't just ignore it? This is information that I need to see for support purposes when looking into issues for support requests, and I see no reason to remove this. Why do you want this removed anyway?

21 hours ago, John Dowson said:

It is not a good idea to install FSUIPC7 there - you should consider re-installing in another non-windows folder. Are you sure the ini file you attached is the one from that folder?

I execute from "C:\Users\dhsim\FSUIPC7\FSUIPC7.ini". The  "C:\Users\dhsim\Desktop\MSFS\FSUIPC7\FSUIPC7.ini" location is a folder shared among 2 PCs to share files.

22 hours ago, John Dowson said:

What is a PMDG radio button? This makes no sense. Note the controls are grayed-out if/when your assignments are overloaded, i.e. you have more than one assignment on the button. Looking at your C510.ini file, you have many overloaded assignments, so I expect that is the issue here.

I looked at this quite a while ago  - please see.

Was writing from memory. It was the Project Magenta button.

I revisited the post. I had forgotten the applicability. I would like to ask why is stacking used? Not just using the variables.

50 minutes ago, DaveSCUSA said:

I execute from "C:\Users\dhsim\FSUIPC7\FSUIPC7.ini". The  "C:\Users\dhsim\Desktop\MSFS\FSUIPC7\FSUIPC7.ini" location is a folder shared among 2 PCs to share files.

But you don't! As your log file that you attached states, you are running from C:\Users\dhsim\Desktop\MSFS\FSUIPC7\ as this is where the FSUIPC7.ini file is read from.
I am taking this from the files you attached. This is why it is still loading the C510.ini as you are editing the wrong FSUIPC7.ini file.

I'm sorry but this is all very confusing for me. As I suggested, please use File -> Open Installation folder which will tell you where FSUIPC7 is running from, and from where it is reading the options. ALWAYS show me files form that location (i.e. where it is actually running from, not where you think it is running from).

You need to sort out your locations and provide me the correct files if you want support. You should only have one FSUIPC7 installation folder - remove all others. Please do not attach any more files or ask for support until you have done this as it is confusing and time-wasting doe both of us.

59 minutes ago, DaveSCUSA said:

I would like to ask why is stacking used? Not just using the variables.

Sorry, but I have no idea what this means. What is stacking, and what variables?

If you are referring to why the UI is grayed-out when you have overloaded assignments (i.e. more than one assignment to a button or key) then this is just the way the UI was designed many years ago. It is just not possible to use the current UI to add overloaded/multiple assignments to a button or key, and you have to edit the ini to achieve this. Once this has been done, it is not possible to show this in the UI, hence it is grayed-out. This also applies when you add compound or offset conditions. Again, you cannot do this via the UI and hence you cannot edit such an assignment via the UI for such assignments and so they will also be shown as grayed-out.

In a perfect world I would modernize and update the UI to allow such things to be achieved via the UI rather than having to edit the ini. But that would be several months development work, and I just do not have the time for this. It is what it is and has always been this way.

On 5/16/2024 at 1:42 PM, John Dowson said:

Sorry, but I have no idea what this means. What is stacking, and what variables?

I was referring to your use of the RPN Stacking S0 I0 as in:

(L:FSUIPC_C510_Ignition_1, Number) s0
                l0 0 > if{
                        0 (>L:FSUIPC_C510_Ignition_1)
                        1 (>B:ENGINE_Ignition_1_Toggle) }

Instead of the variable L:FSUIPC_C510_Ignition_1 directly:

(L:FSUIPC_C510_Ignition_1, Number) > 0 if{  0 (>L:FSUIPC_C510_Ignition_1) 1 (>B:ENGINE_Ignition_1_Toggle) }

On 5/20/2024 at 7:10 PM, DaveSCUSA said:

Burried in MSFS documentation.

That seems to be the same as the documentatin link I always give when people ask about this: https://docs.flightsimulator.com/flighting/html/Additional_Information/Reverse_Polish_Notation.htm

Looks like this has recently been updated - until recently this was very sparse and only gave the basics! Looks a lot better now...

On 5/20/2024 at 6:57 PM, DaveSCUSA said:

I was referring to your use of the RPN Stacking S0 I0 as in:

(L:FSUIPC_C510_Ignition_1, Number) s0
                l0 0 > if{
                        0 (>L:FSUIPC_C510_Ignition_1)
                        1 (>B:ENGINE_Ignition_1_Toggle) }

Instead of the variable L:FSUIPC_C510_Ignition_1 directly:

(L:FSUIPC_C510_Ignition_1, Number) > 0 if{  0 (>L:FSUIPC_C510_Ignition_1) 1 (>B:ENGINE_Ignition_1_Toggle) }

Not sure now - I usually only use the stacks/registers if the value is needed in multiple places...

Looking at the calc code now, it doesn't look correct...it is not possible to set a B:var via calc code...that is why an lvar is introduced, to control the b:var via using that xml update.