The simFlight Network Forums

Tower3D! - KJFK Taxi to Terminal Issues

mickey2damouse

I have been playing Tower3D Pro and have noticed that on KJFK that when I give the command to taxi to the terminal there is a very long pause before this happens causing the next landing plane to stop on the runway and the following in trail to go around because they will crash.  What I have noticed is that even after giving all the commands, the plane will start taxiing once the next plane no matter the distance in trail will exit the runway once another plane is on short final.  

Is there something I am doing wrong or do I need to give this command earlier?  

I normally give this command as the plane escapes the runway on KLAX and have no issues so I am wondering why I am having it on KJFK and sometimes on KPHL but not KLAX.

I have experienced the same at JFK. A/C arriving RWY 13L & exiting at t/way D, seem to take forever to move after the Taxi to Terminal CMD. Sometimes It it so long that I re give the command in case it didn't register. Of course following A/C tend to stack up behind or go around as Mickey2Damouse says.

Also it creates a problem if an a/c has landed long & is taxiing in on T/way B. You think there is plenty of room between the two but the one clearing via T/way D takes sooooo long to move that they can collide.

I don't know if there is a fix for this as feelthere says, it is all in the time reqd. for calculating the pathfinding.

Still a great program and is improving with every patch. SP etc.

KevM

I played a little JFK yesterday for the fist time after installing the Real Traffic and Color DLCs and I ran into the same issue with aircraft landing on 4R.

It started about 10 minutes in when suddenly the sim seemed to crawl to a standstill (massive drop in framerate) and then the landing aircraft wouldn't budge until after the next arrival had landed and been given taxi instructions; then both aircraft would start to taxi at the same time. After a few minutes of this the framerates went back to normal and every thing was fine for about 10 minutes until the cycle started up again. I've only run into this issue with JFK and it's only been since the aforementioned DLCs were installed (although I didn't play JFK much before the DLCs so I can't say for certain if they are responsible).

I'm not sure how to pull the logs for review, can someone walk me through the process for the Steam edition?

Tower!3Dpro Steam with Real Traffic, Color, KJFK and KSAN DLCs installed

Windows 10 Home 64- US English

Intel i7 2.80 GHZ

16GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

707FAN, I don't use the voice option so it's harder to do give those instructions but I can say that it doesn't make sense for the aircraft to sit there for that long.  It has forced me to use a different runway because using 13L/31R is a collision waiting to happen since that taxiway is close to a lot of taxiing traffic from Pinnacle and JetBlue. 

MustangPauli, I am still trying to understand why my screens will not work together as they do on KLAX...that's a different thread though but I have had your issue a couple of times only on JFK.

Edited by mickey2damouse

• 2 months later...

Funny, I just got KJFK the other day and during my first session, I was running departures off 31L and arrivals to 31R .. arrivals seemed to pick up so I opened both 31's for arrivals and had a QTR flight roll all the way to the end of 31L!  I mean ALLLLLL the way .. then it sat there forever.  Kept issuing taxi commands and EVENTUALLY it turned off and went to the ramp.  Curious, it was in that same area I had another issue .. a FDX flight called for pushback from Cargo Area A .. I cleared it and went back to sorting my other messes .. probably about 5 minutes later I realized they still hadn't pushed yet - reissued the command.  Pushback Approved!  Great!  Still didn't move.  Curious ...

I had the same problem. Large airports like KJFK with so many possible taxi routes really work my computer. I have found I can help a lot just by giving the arriving aircraft at least 1 taxiway instruction. Just a simple "taxi to terminal via A (or B)" eliminate a lot of route choices. The planes start to taxi a lot quicker. 

5 hours ago, GKibby said:

I had the same problem. Large airports like KJFK with so many possible taxi routes really work my computer. I have found I can help a lot just by giving the arriving aircraft at least 1 taxiway instruction. Just a simple "taxi to terminal via A (or B)" eliminate a lot of route choices. The planes start to taxi a lot quicker. 

That's exactly what I do.  I'd LIKE to give VERY specific instructions but, with multiple entrances to each ramp and not knowing which specific gate until issuing some kind of taxi to ramp command, I start with, "Taxi to ramp via A/B" depending on which way they need to go to get to their terminal.  Then I'll get specific enroute if needed to avoid other traffic, mostly just hold short of taxiway blah.  A REALLY SUPER AWESOME feature to have (I know - save it for the next version .. Tower!4D - Extreme) would be to be able to tack on a hold short at the end of a taxi routing rather than needing a separate command: "Taxi to ramp via B W hold short A."  And specific to runway crossings, instead of continue taxi, "Cross runway 22R."  And, starting to ramble here.  :p

I learned not too long ago how to use the keyboard in the command window so I use that now.  So when a acft has landed and the notification shows up on the bottom of the screen I focus back to that acft to know the taxiway it will exit and give the "Taxi to Terminal via X X X X" command immediately so it helps speed the process.  Just make sure that the acft is exiting the active runway or starting to so that it can speed up the taxiing process on JFK.