The simFlight Network Forums

Question on setting up autobrakes?

Hi all.

I went back through a lot of pages and could not find tis.... but I might be blind too 8) . Can someone get me pointed in the correct direction?

I want to assign controls for the autobrakes on my panel. All I can find in the FSUIPC assignments on the "Keys" screen are "inc autobrake control" and "dec autobrake control". So I assume that this increases the brake pressure or decreases the brake pressure in incremental steps. My panel is using a 6 position rotary switch (not rotary encoder) set up with RTO, OFF, 1, 2, 3, MAX positions.

My first question is how many incremental steps are there to get tothe "MAX" setting of the brakes? How about RTO.... is that the same number?

When I set the keypresses for the switches to send..... I am assuming that I first "zero" the brakes to "off" by sending enough "decrease" pulses to do that, and then send the appropriate number of "increase autobrake control" pulses to have the correct setting. Is this correct?

For example, my thought process says that if the autobrakes are set to "MAX"..... and say there were 5 "steps" to get there (to the max level), when I set the switch to the "OFF" position I should set the hagstrom encoder to send the key for "decrease autobrake control" five times. Is this correct thinking?

I also do not see an assignment for RTO in the list. RTO typically happens after the aircraft exceeds something like 80-90 knots and the nethe throttles are set to idle. Is this modeled somewhere that I can access to activate it?

Appreciate any help.

best,

.................john

I want to assign controls for the autobrakes on my panel. All I can find in the FSUIPC assignments on the "Keys" screen are "inc autobrake control" and "dec autobrake control". So I assume that this increases the brake pressure or decreases the brake pressure in incremental steps.

Not the pressure, no, just the switch. Decrement will turn the switch anti-clockwise, increment clockwise. The INC/DECs work just like any other FS INC/DEC control in that respect.

These controls are FS controls, not specifically FSUIPC, and designed for use with a pair of buttons or a rorary encoder.

For example, my thought process says that if the autobrakes are set to "MAX"..... and say there were 5 "steps" to get there (to the max level), when I set the switch to the "OFF" position I should set the hagstrom encoder to send the key for "decrease autobrake control" five times. Is this correct thinking?

Yes, that works. But it would be much more efficient and easier to use the extra control fro this precise purpose which I added in FSUIPC. Please look down the drop-down list again. It is documented in the FSUIPC User documentation this:

 An Autobrake Set control, to directly set the autobrake (0=RTO, 1=off, 2–5=settings to Max).

You just ise the same control with a different parameter.

I also do not see an assignment for RTO in the list. RTO typically happens after the aircraft exceeds something like 80-90 knots and the nethe throttles are set to idle. Is this modeled somewhere that I can access to activate it?

You mean a button to retard the throttle, engage reverse thrust, operate the ground spoilers, and set the autobrakes? No. I don't think real aircraft have those either.

The procedure you adopt is to set the autobrakes to RTO before takeoff, keep your hands on the thrust levers until after V1 (you can't RTO after V1), and if an RTO is needed, pull the throttles back, engage reverse and hope the autobrakes cut in. On most modern real airliners the spoilers should go up too, but the default FS airliners don't do that.

Regards,

Pete

efratomer and Pete,

Thanks VERY much for your replies. I am a newbie at this usage of FSUIPC ...although I have been using it for a while in a basic manner and (along with WideFS) for the networking of the computers in a developing simpit. So those thoghts helped tremendously.

I now have the autobrakes set up and working correctly via FSUIPC and a Hagstrom KE72.

Do it take it from this experience that any of the list of FSUIPC varialbes that are in the format "XXXXXXXXX_XXXXX Set" work in this same manner?

Thanks again. Work continues :wink:

best,

..................john

Do it take it from this experience that any of the list of FSUIPC varialbes that are in the format "XXXXXXXXX_XXXXX Set" work in this same manner?

Most of them aren't FSUIPC controls, but FS controls -- the names are obtained directly from the CONTROLS.DLL in your FS Modules folder. They are also listed in the "List of FS2004 Controls" included in the FSUIPC.ZIP package.

I am pretty sure that all controls which end with the word "SET", or, for that matter, begin with the word "AXIS", take parameters. However, not all of them will work, and in some cases the parameter values needed are downright obscure!

Regards,

Pete

Thanks once again Pete........ not only for the answers and input but for all the effort you have put in in writing, updating, and do continuing to produce and support this GREAT program.

best,

................john

• 15 years later...
On 7/20/2005 at 6:31 PM, JBaymore said:

Thanks once again Pete........ not only for the answers and input but for all the effort you have put in in writing, updating, and do continuing to produce and support this GREAT program.

best,

................john

Hi John,

I have the same difficulty in assigning my landing module from flightsimpm with regards to the auto breaks. Can you show me how you managed to solve this issue?

Is there any youtube video in doing this? 
can you send me some links for instructions?

Don