The simFlight Network Forums

Duplicate copies FSUIPC in FS????

Just recently, when I open FS2004, there is an error message that says I have duplicate copies of FSUIPC installed. It says to remove the duplicate copy in FS modules folder. FS closes. I check the modules folder and there is only one copy. I currently have a registered copy of 3.53. If I reboot the PC, FS opens fine the first time. If I close it and try to open again, I get the same error message again. What should I do?

Thanks, Al

Just recently, when I open FS2004, there is an error message that says I have duplicate copies of FSUIPC installed. It says to remove the duplicate copy in FS modules folder. FS closes. I check the modules folder and there is only one copy. I currently have a registered copy of 3.53. If I reboot the PC, FS opens fine the first time. If I close it and try to open again, I get the same error message again. What should I do?

Something is actually stopping FS closing correctly. Its Windows may have gone, but it is still there. You can check this for yourself -- after closing FS, use the Windows Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del) to look at the Process list (not the Application list). You will see "FS9.exe" still listed. Select it then end the process forcibly using the button below.

The last add-in DLL that I know did that for a while was an early version of Active Camera for FS2004, but that was fixed quite quickly. If you use that make sure you have the latest version. And check the assorted non-Microsoft DLLs you have in the Modules folder. One of them is likely the culprit. It could be a gauge, but that is much less likely as they are rather more restricted in what they can do.

Regards,

Pete

Pete: Your're absolutely right. I found it there in the processes.

Interestingly, if I just open FS and then close it, there is no problem to reopen it. No error mesage. It is not in the processes.

However, if I open FS and then open IVAP/IVAO (online flying network), after I close everything, the problem occurs that says I have duplicate copies of FSUIPC and it is still open in the processes.

This never happened before; I have been using IVAP for some time. So with this information, what should I do to eliminate from happening again? Any thoughts?

Thanks, Al

Interestingly, if I just open FS and then close it, there is no problem to reopen it. No error mesage. It is not in the processes.

Okay, so whatever is getting FS into that state hasn't been triggered yet.

However, if I open FS and then open IVAP/IVAO (online flying network), after I close everything, the problem occurs that says I have duplicate copies of FSUIPC and it is still open in the processes.

Well, though that does possibly suggest that one of the Ivao modules is the culprit, it may simply be that by then enough other things have started doing things.

The usual cause of everything appearing to close yet the process not terminating is a thread which has been created to do something and then, somehow, never been told to terminate. But identifying whatever it is that is doing it is not easy. The only way really is trial and error.

You could try temporarily removing the Ivao DLL(s) and see if that stops it, but ...

This never happened before; I have been using IVAP for some time.

... this seems to indicate that it may be something else (unless you've updated some Ivao part recently?). Have you any other add-ins you can try without?

The reason FSUIPC performs this check is that if both processes (the new one and the "apparently closed" one) were allowed to continue running, there would be two FSUIPC interfaces operative, and it would be pot luck which of these would be attached by external programs using FSUIPC. The end results would be even more confusing than this is!

Regards,

Pete

First, I cannot find any IVAO or IVAP.dlls anywhere. Certainly not in modules folder.

I uninstalled IVAp and installed again (latest version). Same problem.

Now what I noted was that even after I closed IVAP while within FS, it still remained open in the task bar at the bottom. If I force close it using exit command and then close FS, everytrhing is fine. No FS.exe in the processes. IF I don't do this the IVAP stays in the task bar after I close FS and eventually (after 15 seconds or so) closes on its own. But still FS is in the processes.

Al

First, I cannot find any IVAO or IVAP.dlls anywhere. Certainly not in modules folder.

Ah, not like Squawkbox then? I know Squawkbox builds itself into FS quite thoroughly. IVAP stuff is all external to FS then, no menus or windows in FS?

I uninstalled IVAp and installed again (latest version). Same problem.

Well, if it is all external to FS I'm not surprised. It cannot possibly make threads hang from thereunless of course it is the Multiplayer interface which is hanging. Is IVAP properly closed BEFORE you close FS?

Now what I noted was that even after I closed IVAP while within FS, it still remained open in the task bar at the bottom. If I force close it using exit command and then close FS, everytrhing is fine. No FS.exe in the processes. IF I don't do this the IVAP stays in the task bar after I close FS and eventually (after 15 seconds or so) closes on its own. But still FS is in the processes.

Then it does sound like it is either hanging onto the multiplayer connection, so keeping that thread active in FS, or, possibly, there is an Ivap-used DLL installed which also doesn't let go.

Perhaps there's a proper way of closing IVAP down and you aren't following it? I think you may need to go talk to someone in the Ivap support forum, assuming there is one.

Regards,

Pete

Pete: Just to follow-up with you. IVAO is aware of this problem ("a bug"). Affects some but not all. Still have not found what is the underlying problem to properly shut down IVAP unless you are operating multi PC which I can with Wideview. Then you can shut down from remote PC. Otherwise just use the end process, as you mentioned.

Thanks, Al

Pete: Just to follow-up with you. IVAO is aware of this problem ("a bug"). Affects some but not all. Still have not found what is the underlying problem to properly shut down IVAP unless you are operating multi PC which I can with Wideview. Then you can shut down from remote PC. Otherwise just use the end process, as you mentioned.

Okay. Thanks for letting me know. No doubt they will have it fixed in due course.

Pete

Hello Pete,

"Just recently, when I open FS2004, there is an error message that says I have duplicate copies of FSUIPC installed. It says to remove the duplicate copy in FS modules folder. FS closes. "

I quoted the above from ABZ, I got now the same problem. I justy installed a program called "easy_auto pilot" in one of the helicopters.

What should I do? FS crashed its time I try to open it.

Thanks.

Hashry Adijan

hash@cbn.net.id

"Just recently, when I open FS2004, there is an error message that says I have duplicate copies of FSUIPC installed. It says to remove the duplicate copy in FS modules folder. FS closes. "

You either have duplicate copies of FSUIPC (either renamed, in Modules, or, incorrectly, in the main FS folder, OR you have an add-in which is preventing FS closing correctly. Check for the latter by Ctrl+Alt+Del, look at the process list and see if there's an "FS9.EXE" listed. If so, forcefully close it (button near the bottom right). Then find out which add-in isn't allowing FS to close and either remove it or get it corrected.

Please scan through the earlier messages in this thread. I'm sure it's been explained quite a lot. That's why threads are useful, but you need to read through them.

Regards,

Pete