The simFlight Network Forums

Set dead zone in axis

I've printed the latest manual of v.3.60, assign picth and roll axis via FS9.1 (null zone 0 and sensit. 100, as specified in the manual, to avoid every time to delete inside fs this axis if selected via FSUIPS, but fs automatically assign those at fs at the next restart :shock: ) than calibrated inside FSUIPC, modify the response curve more flatten in the center to reduce sensitivity for little mouvement, but how I can add a little null zone? I've check the filter option, but still to sensitive

Andy

I

(null zone 0 and sensit. 100, as specified in the manual, to avoid every time to delete inside fs this axis if selected via FSUIPS, but fs automatically assign those at fs at the next restart :shock: )

Unfortunately you are mixing up two different things. You need the FS sensitivity at max and null zone at min in order that FS not only provides the axis values, but provides the full range of axis values.

The sensitivity value is used as a kind of divisor. The higher it is the shorter the range of values from the axis, and the more coarse the calibration.

The null zone in FS merely makes an initial part of the axis unusable, so reducing the number of possible values still further.

When calibrating (not assigning) in FSUIPC you don't want either of these reductions to occur, as they detract from the accuracy and precision with which you can calibrate.

If you want to actually assign axes in FS, then you probably would need to disable joysticks in FS altogether as, yes, FS does have the habit of assigning axes automatically. I suppose an alternative would be to set the FS sensitivity to zero, so that the axis, assigned in FSUIPC, wouldn't have any affect in FS first.

than calibrated inside FSUIPC, modify the response curve more flatten in the center to reduce sensitivity for little mouvement, but how I can add a little null zone? I've check the filter option, but still to sensitive

FSUIPC's "centre" null zone is achieved by following the step-by-step instructions for calibration. There are TWO (2) centre values. They need to be different, i.e. relate to different points on your joystick axis. The whole of that little central range is then the "null zone" -- i.e. it has no sensitivity whatsoever, only sending '0' back to FS. This is what "null" means -- "nothing"! Please re-calibrate and follow the instructions step by step.

The slope is used to affect sensitivity in FSUIPC. It is very different from FS's method in that, whilst it can reduce the sensitivty in the centre, at the same time it increases it at the extremes so that the full deflections are still usable.

Take care not to use the "inverse" slopes -- those increase centre sensitivity whilst reducing it at the extremes. (One good use of that is for more sensitive steering via the steering tiller facility in FSUIPC version 3.617, available above).

The filter facility is intended to reduce jitter, it has nothing whatsoever to do with sensitivity or null zones. It applies a low pass digital filter to the values, that's all.

Pete

Thanks a lot Peter, I use CH devices (joke, throttle quad, pedals usb) and FS9.1 as a training device, so I need to obtain the max I can; saying that which is the best way to reach that result? (axis assignment speaking, fs or FSUIPC without any restart get mad to fixing automatic fs assignment?)

Secondly the sens response is reached by changed the curve (not negatively as you wrote before right?), so getting the center part more flat :idea:

Andy

Thanks a lot Peter, I use CH devices (joke, throttle quad, pedals usb) and FS9.1 as a training device, so I need to obtain the max I can; saying that which is the best way to reach that result? (axis assignment speaking, fs or FSUIPC without any restart get mad to fixing automatic fs assignment?)

The purpose of providing direct axis assignment in FS was really to allow clever things to be done, like assignment to axes not supported directly by FS (reversers, steering tiller, rudder and aileron trims, and so on) -- previously you'd need to "pinch2 a real FS axis and assign it to one of these in the FSUIPC INI file. A bit messy to say the least.

The other major purposes of FSUIPC assignments was to allow different assignments for different aircraft types -- for instance, to support those with a separate prop and jet or prop and helo control system -- and to provide direct "raw" value assignments for programmable hardware systems such as EPIC to directly control other FS values.

I really think it is overkill for what you need. Just do a full and proper calibration, with null zone and suitable slope, all in FSUIPC after assigning axes in FS and setting FS's sensitivity to max and null zone to min. The step by step instructions in the FSUIPC manual should get you exactly what you want.

Secondly the sens response is reached by changed the curve (not negatively as you wrote before right?)

Go take a look. You can move the slider both ways from the linear (straight) default response. One way is less sensitive in the centre (more horizontal), the other is more sensitive in the centre (more vertical). In both cases the compensation is then the opposite in the extremes. If you look at it it becomes obvious.

Regards

Pete

• 14 years later...

The null zone I need for the maddog 82, On the saitek throttle quadrant push lever forward for thrust bring it down to stop area then press again for reverse thrust but before I get to the stop area the reverse thrust comes on how do you stop this happening everything else is setup correctly, It works ok on the 737 but not the maddog

18 hours ago, daveflyer said:

The null zone I need for the maddog 82, On the saitek throttle quadrant push lever forward for thrust bring it down to stop area then press again for reverse thrust but before I get to the stop area the reverse thrust comes on how do you stop this happening everything else is setup correctly, It works ok on the 737 but not the maddog

You are posting in a topic that is over 15 years old...

I will close this. If you have an issue, can you please start a new topic. And, if you do this, please give enough information for us to investigate. Please, at least  read this before posting again:

Your location is from 'WestMidlands'. I am from Stoke-on-Trent, but cannot understand your posts....

John

3 minutes ago, daveflyer said:

speak to me on the my mobile so can fully explain what is going wrong John, 07814262804 ring me anytime ok David Haynes.

Erm...no...why would I do that? If I was still contracting, you could pay me to call you - would cost you £100 for an hour, but I ain't doing that no more...

Please read that link I posted, and if you have an issue then post with a relevant topic title, that is of course you cannot find an existing topic for your issue.

John

2 hours ago, daveflyer said:

what are you on about John, The phone call is free give me you mobile i will phone you, i need to explain about reverse thrust in fsuipc don't ask me to message you just give me you mobile ok dave.

OMG, I just can't help it, I have to laugh as loud as I can! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! SORRY ALL!!

1 hour ago, daveflyer said:

send me to a proper forum

This is the proper (and only) forum for FSUIPC and WideFS support. If you want assistance try starting again, explain your needs clearly, and don't insist on personal phone calls. That is not the way things do or should work.

I'm closing this thread. If you decide to be more reasonable please start another thread and provide the information we need to help you.

Pete