The simFlight Network Forums

Button Assignment Elevator Trim

Hi Pete

This is just a general question I do not have any problems just need some info/feedback. As you are probably aware I have set up my CH Yoke, TQ and Pedals using only FSUIPC, with excellent results On the CH Yoke there are 2 "rocker" switches one of which I have always to set Elevator Trim Up (KB - NP1) [NOSE UP] and Elevator Trim Down (KB-NP7). (The other set I use for aileron trim left and right) So in FSUIPC I went into button assignments and pressed the relevant button on the yoke, chose "Select for FS Control" but then in that very comprehensive list I could not find Elevator (NOSE) TRIM Up or Down. (The Aileron trim left and right is present). [Elevator UP and DOWN and ELEV UP ELEV DOWN are there but they are not what I want].

[in the end I used your "Offset SWord Increment/decrement" using xBC0 as per your instructions p28 of the manual - Equally successful was using "Select for key press" and set the values (NP1/NP7) that way]

So, I was just wondered if I have missed something simple as all the other "trim" settings seem to be there? I have checked the version 3.705 and the dll file is dated 25/08/06)

Regards

PeterH

HI Frank

Thanks. Yes I was aware of the names as you state, but what I am saying is that the elevator trim settings seem to be missing from the button assignment drop down in FSUIPC. PeteD only shows ELEV UP, ELEV DOWN and ELEVATOR UP & ELEVATOR DOWN, both of which actually move the elevator (or YOKE) and not the trim wheel. I just wondered where the trim for elevator was in Pete's excellent program. Pete mentions the elevator trim on p28 of his manual and its easy to set using the "offset SWord" commands and that works perfectly. I was just curious as to why I couldn't find it in the drop down menu

Thanks again

PeterH

I was aware of the names as you state, but what I am saying is that the elevator trim settings seem to be missing from the button assignment drop down in FSUIPC. PeteD only shows ELEV UP, ELEV DOWN and ELEVATOR UP & ELEVATOR DOWN, both of which actually move the elevator (or YOKE) and not the trim wheel.

FSUIPC doesn't have its own list (except for the special additions and the PM stuff). The main list of FS controls is grabbed directly from FS's "CONTROLS.DLL" for the drop-down.

I've just checked, and there's "Trim Down" and "Trim Up" listed in the drop down -- i.e. without the "Elev" in front.

Strange, I thought. So I dug into the codeand I found that the actual internal names in FS for these used to be "Numpad 7" and "Numpad 1" -- i.e. they were named after the default keys which you used for them. This must have been back in FS98 and FS2000 days. Looks like I deliberately check for the two control numbers and replace these rather inappropriate names by "Trim down" and "Trim Up".

Odd no one has mentioned this before in all these years!

Anyway, in the very next version of FSUIPC I will re-name them "Elev Trim Dn" and "Elev Trim Up". Okay? ;-)

Thanks,

Pete

• 1 month later...
Anyway, in the very next version of FSUIPC I will re-name them "Elev Trim Dn" and "Elev Trim Up". Okay? ;-)

Should this be the case in 3.709? I was assigning the trim functions to two joystick buttons with this version and found them listed as "Elev Tr" and "Elev Trim" in the list. I _think_ I guessed correctly which is trim up and which is trim down.

Should this be the case in 3.709? I was assigning the trim functions to two joystick buttons with this version and found them listed as "Elev Tr" and "Elev Trim" in the list.

Ooops! Good catch! In my haste (I've had so much to do for FSX of course) I didn't change the lengths from my previous names.

They'll be okay in the formal release, 3.71, which I'll get to as soon as I have the first FSX version (FSUIPC4) out the door.

Thanks,

Pete