The simFlight Network Forums

Virus downloading FSUIPC4

Can you send me the file by mail?

Can't you simply disable or override your virus checker? It shouldn't stop you doing things you want to do with your own computer. I don't know any system like that.

And surely you are not telling me that the virus checker stops you downloading but not receiving email copies of exactly the same file? That's a bit of a waste of a program isn't it -- surely the need is more vital in emails which you may receive involuntarily rather than in downloads which you are deliberately choosing? It seems to be designed backwards!

Regards

Pete

If you get it from the official source (which you mentioned) it's clean.

If you get it from elsewhere, there's of course a risk (though if it's a trustworthy place like Avsim that risk is minimal).

My file is signed in any case. Before running the EXE the downloader can just check the Certificate (right-click, Properties-Version-Signatures. If that shows a valid signature in my name, issued by GlobalSign (going into details now!) and timestamped by Verisgin, then that is total assurance that the file has not been tampered with. That's the point of signatures.

Regards

Pete

Why I receive virus alert if the file is clean??

Marco

Because the file effectively contains random strings of bytes formed by Zipping a compressed EXE containing an encrypted set of files. Evidently your virus checker things one of those strings of bytes represents something in its list as a virus. It is not. It should be reported as an incorrect identification to your virus checking authority (though I doubt they'll do much).

I use Norton Antivirus which is kept bang up to date.

The EXE file in the ZIP is signed in any case. It cannot be tampered with without nullifying the signature, so just check the signature before running it. See my other reply.

Pete

I decided to bypass antivirus, but when I try to unzip Install.exe to a folder, unzipped file appear momentary in a folder and subsequently deleted and another antivirus message appear " File was putted in quarantine".

By the way, I cannot acces the certificate. Version under Properties dont exist, only General and Protection.

Marco

I decided to bypass antivirus, but when I try to unzip Install.exe to a folder, unzipped file appear momentary in a folder and subsequently deleted and another antivirus message appear " File was putted in quarantine".

By the way, I cannot acces the certificate. Version under Properties dont exist, only General and Protection.

Marco

If I were you I'd ditch your antivirus program and get something that works properly.

Sorry, there is no way that I can solve your problems from here. You need to stop your program preventing you from installing a completely valid program.

Pete

Some explanation.

The anti irus could rely in signatures (see if inside the exe there is a match for the vírus pattern) or can also rely in heuristics. Heuristics is simply a nice word for common sense. The signature approach has some disadvantages, it only catch the virus after you update the database with that particular virus. The heuristic approach tries to overpass this problem by trying to guess if the file contains a virus, couldn’t find any information of how this is done. NOD32 is usually considered one of the best anti virus (maybe only surpassed by Kaspersky) however it can also raises the false alarms.

In this case what you have to do is:

- Temporarily disable IMON and AMON;

- D/L FSUIPC

- Unzip it (if you have problem right click, properties and unblock);

- Install FSUIPC

Enable AMON and IMON. You will notice that AMON will not detect FSUIPC.dll has a virus after install.

José Oliveira