The simFlight Network Forums

Vista Ultimate 64Bit and FSUIPC 4.07

Hello!

I have both FSUIPC and WideFS installed and registered thanks to this forum. But, FSUIPC is unable to comunicate with my CHProducts (yoke, pedals, throttle) through the "axis" tab. The rest of the FSUIPC interface works correctly.

Is this a known issue with Vista and FSUIPC 4.07? If so, will there be a fix posted? Or, if one of you have 64Bit Vista and FSUIPC working perfectly, can you let me know?

Thanks!

Murray Wheten

Murray,

you need to be a little bit more patient. Pete is away at the moment and many of the users don't have vista already.

I don't have it and I even don't have FSX but I seem to recall there was an option implemented into FSUIPC to disable the axis handling.

You don't have this option switched on by accident?

Regards,

Frank

Murray,

you need to be a little bit more patient. Pete is away at the moment and many of the users don't have vista already.

I don't have it and I even don't have FSX but I seem to recall there was an option implemented into FSUIPC to disable the axis handling.

You don't have this option switched on by accident?

Regards,

Frank

Thanks for your response Frank... patients is a "virtue" that I don't seem to have. :lol: But, I really do appreciate your response.

It would seem that the install (or the) registration problem associated with Vista (mentioned by others) seems to have corrupted FSUIPC 4.07 on my system. I uninstalled and reinstalled it and now it is "seeing" my axises (spelling?). But, unfortunatly, it is not "saving" the axis assignments I enter. It does seem to be saving the calibrations though... but I cannot test there effectiveness because of the afore mentioned problem.

I am able to use FSUIPC 3.72 correctly (for the most part) when I boot to my Windows XP/FS2004 partition. I say for the most part becuase FSUIPC 3.72 does not always "see" the indent on the throttle axises (spelling?). This could be "my" error though as I have never used FSUIPC in this way... even though I have had a registered copy for many years ...no patients you know :D

Anyway, thanks again! If you have any other tips, please don't hesitate to let me know. I am a willing student.

BTW, I am in the process of re-installing ALL of my software as I had a motherboard die on me. I decided to go "BIG" and spent EDIT:$3000.00 CDN on the following components...

ASUS P5B motherboard

INTEL Core 2 Duo "Conroe" E6600 2.4GHz 4MB CPU

EDIT: 2 Super*Talent DDR2-800 4G(2x1Gx(2 kits)) DUAL Channel RAM

EVGA nVidia 8800GTX 768MB DDR3 Video Card

SeaSonic 650X PSU

2 WD 320Gb SATA2 Hard Drives

Windows Vista Ultimate 64Bit

I can now run FS9 (in Windows XP Pro) and FSX (in Vista 64bit) with all sliders one notch from the top, and with "no tweaks", locked at 30 FPS.

EDIT: I have applied the most popular "tweaks" (from the PMDG blog) and now have FSX locked at 20 FPS. I had to do this in order to have FSX run smooth in areas in and around large cities/airport combinations. By having it tweaked to run smooth in these areas, it runs smooth everywhere... kinda makes sense huh!?! Doh!

BTW, I used KJFK/New York city at 1500 feet to do the testing... lots of stuff to tax your system in that area of FSX!

Murray Wheten

Vista (mentioned by others) seems to have corrupted FSUIPC 4.07 on my system. I uninstalled and reinstalled it and now it is "seeing" my axises (spelling?). But, unfortunatly, it is not "saving" the axis assignments I enter.

My gut tells me that the user you're running FSX/FSUIPC as doesn't have permissions to write to the file where FSUIPC saves its settings. Have you tried switching to Administrator before you run FSX and calibrate the axes?

I can now run FS9 (in Windows XP Pro) and FSX (in Vista 64bit) with all sliders one notch from the top, and with "no tweaks", locked at 30 FPS.

It's reassuring to know that a) there are systems that can run FSX well, and b) the mystery of higher than normal HST receipts has been explained. :)

Cheers!

Luke

Thank you very much Luke for your replies.

I believe you are correct. I fixed the problem earlier today by re-installing FSX, than running the FSX.exe (the shortcut actually) "as administrator" and registered both FSUIPC 4.07 and WideFS. I then re-started FSX and ran the axis assignments, calibrations, buttons, and clicked OK. VISTA poped-up a "warning" and shut down FSX. I restarted FSX thinking that the assingments would be lost... they were not.

I will now go into the "modules" directory and do as the fellow did in the link you provided... add write/modity rights. I will test things and report back here.

Thanks again Luke for your help... and your humour! :lol:

Murray

Hi All

My setup

Vista 64bit Home Premium. FSUIPC4 4.07.

Installed FSX as administrator in default directory.

Changed FSX Default directory permission for all users to full, (took i/2 an hour to complete).

Install FSUIPC4 as amin'.

All joysticks calibrated under vista.

All references in FSX for joysticks removed to be handled by FSUIPC4.

My Problem:

All buttons on all joysticks work fine.

NO Axis are registering at all anyone got any ideas?

Many Thanks

All references in FSX for joysticks removed to be handled by FSUIPC4.

My Problem:

All buttons on all joysticks work fine.

NO Axis are registering at all anyone got any ideas?

Do the axes respond in FSX? FSUIPC4 now uses the standard DirectInput facilities, same as FSX and FS2004, to read the axes. I have no idea why that should be different in a 64-bit system compared to a 32-bit one, unless the drivers are wrong -- but that should affect FSX as well.

FSUIPC4 still uses the old Windows joystick API for the buttons. If that's working but the axes are not then it seems like the DirectInput (HID) driver for the joystick isn't correct.

[LATER]

On checking my code, I identify DirectInput joysticks by reading certain parts of the Registry. Perhaps you could look for me?

First I look under this Key:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_xxxx&PID_xxxx\Calibration\

where the two batches of 'xxxx' are values I get from the older Windows joystick API. Within this key I need the 'Joystick Id" 1 value for the GUID. The GUID uniquely identifies the device and then I can read its axes.

I'm suspecting that the Registry structure has been changed. I'll finish installing my Vista 32-bit Ultimate and see if I can find out. Otherwise all I can think of doing it to revert back to the old Windows interface for Vista, losing two axes.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have set the axis in FSX in the settings and they register as x and y for the joystick. Then in FSX nothing on external view of the aircraft.

I have tried using FSUIPC after setting the joystick axis and again nothing.

The only bit I found was this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_044F&PID_A012]

"OEMData"=hex:41,00,00,10,08,00,00,00

With the vid and pid bit at the end, there were another 33 entries.

This was one I recognise as it is one of my joysticks, the sidewinder usb none feedback.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_045E&PID_003C]

"OEMData"=hex:01,00,00,10,08,00,00,00

"OEMName"="SideWinder Joystick"

[later]

Just deleted the modules directory and the joystick works okay.

Check the calibration in control panel/game adapters and all ok.

Puzzling....

If you need a guinea pig for testing under 64bit, just let me know what you want to try?

In the mean time... back to XP to play in FSX, good job I made it a dual boot system just in case of problems.

Regards,

p.s. found something and sent it to you in a pm.

I have set the axis in FSX in the settings and they register as x and y for the joystick. Then in FSX nothing on external view of the aircraft.

Is this with a Registered copy of FSUIPC4 still? There's a parameter in the INI file to disable FSUIPC4 axis interception, in case SimConnect isn't working correctly. For unregistered installs that is defaulted. If FSX doesn't work with its axis assignments (not FSUIPC4 axis assignments) then it is likely to be a Simconnect problem. We may need a Log.

The only bit I found was this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_044F&PID_A012]

"OEMData"=hex:41,00,00,10,08,00,00,00

With the vid and pid bit at the end, there were another 33 entries.

This was one I recognise as it is one of my joysticks, the sidewinder usb none feedback.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_045E&PID_003C]

"OEMData"=hex:01,00,00,10,08,00,00,00

"OEMName"="SideWinder Joystick"

I need to find the entries giving the "GUID", as this is needed to actually select the device in DirectInput.

I'll be able to check myself (but in the 32-bit version) tomorrow.

Just deleted the modules directory and the joystick works okay.

Check the calibration in control panel/game adapters and all ok.

See above about Simconnect.

If you need a guinea pig for testing under 64bit, just let me know what you want to try?

I'll check here in 32-bit first. Thanks.

Okay, I'll look there. But I'm out tonight so I'll be looking at this in more detail tomorrow.

Regards

Pete

Okay, I'll look there. But I'm out tonight so I'll be looking at this in more detail tomorrow.

The Registry extract you sent does contain the exact information I need -- seems there are 3 known joystick connections listed, IDs 0, 1 and 2, with your sideWinder at #0.

My present problem looks to be that the HKEY_USERS section is user-dependent (surely the joysticks aren't?), and there's that weird semi-numerical string to find.

In my WinXP Registry there are such weird strings in the HKEY_USERS section, but certainly nothing in the CurrentControlSet inside those relating to joysticks. It's very odd. I can see me poring over a hot registry all day tomorrow! :-(

Regards

Pete

Okay, thanksI think I can fix it now. It seems the joystick identity Registry Entries in Vista ARE the same as those in WinXP, except instead of being in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE they are in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Here are the three from your Registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_045E&PID_003C\Calibration\0]
"GUID"=hex:90,af,4f,0f,77,c6,db,11,80,01,44,45,53,54,00,00
"Joystick Id"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_0583&PID_2032\Calibration\0]
"GUID"=hex:a0,7c,5e,0f,77,c6,db,11,80,04,44,45,53,54,00,00
"Joystick Id"=hex:01,00,00,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_06A3&PID_0107\Calibration\0]
"GUID"=hex:e0,18,5f,0f,77,c6,db,11,80,05,44,45,53,54,00,00
"Joystick Id"=hex:02,00,00,00

Seems that Vista treats joystick connections as personal to the user, not as part of the PC's configuration. Understandable I suppose now that folks often disconnect and reconnect them.

I will make the changes to FSUIPC4 and test them here. Look out for FSUIPC4 version 4.08 which I should be able to release either later today, or certainly before the weekend is out.

Thanks for your help,

Pete

Thanks Pete

Version 4.08 works like a dream.

Just one little question. Did you intend moving the fsuipc4.ini file from the modules folder of FSX to the Users saved file directory in my case to:

Tony Ward\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

Just asking?

Many Thanks again Pete.

Regards,

Tony

Just one little question. Did you intend moving the fsuipc4.ini file from the modules folder of FSX to the Users saved file directory in my case to:

Tony Ward\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

Yes, exactly as clearly documented -- also the KEY and LOG files, also as documented! Viz:

If FSUIPC4 detects that FS is running on Windows Vista, it moves, and subsequently maintains the LOG, INI and KEY files, to/in the Documents “Flight Simulator X Files” folder—the same place that FS saves the user’s Flights and Plans.

If FS is installed in its default place in Program Files, Vista prevents FSUIPC from altering files even though it created them in the first place! So, if they are left there you get no settings saved, ever!

Pete