The simFlight Network Forums

Loss of WideFS coonection

WFH

All of a sudden I cannot get a WideFS connection between my PC and laptop. Everything else is fine. I can alter files etc on the other machine through the network so that would not seem to be the problem. The exceptions are set out correctly in the firewall and I am now stumped as to what the problem may be.

This is a copy of the log from the laptop

********* WideClient Log [version 6.75] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 23/02/08, Time 13:37:53.741: Client name is CLIENT

1438 Attempting to connect now

2125 Server = SERVER

2156 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVER" port 8002 ...

2156Okay, IP Address = 192.168.1.84

23156 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10060] Connection timed out

23156 Ready to try connection again

This is a copy of the log from the PC

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 7.25] *********

Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)

Date (dmy): 23/02/08, Time 13:23:06.963: Server name is SERVER

15319 Initialising TCP/IP server

15319 Initialising IPX/SPX server

15319 IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10047] Address family not supported by protocol family

15319 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

15319 Initialising UDP/IP server

16130 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

I am in no way a network expert or anywhere close to one and senior moments are becoming more frequent :oops: so be gentle if the error is blatantly obvious.

Using FSX with all service packs (but not Acceleration) and Vista Home.

Thanks

All of a sudden I cannot get a WideFS connection between my PC and laptop.

23156 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10060] Connection timed out

23156 Ready to try connection again

I've never actually seen a connection timeout reported by Windows. Something is blocking it for sure. Don't forget firewalls and things may be operating on both ends, stopping either direction. Here the Client can't get through to the Server -- but it could be either the Server stopping access in or the client stopping access out -- or something in-between.

All WideFS can tell is that Windows wouldn't connect after trying for whatever time it tries for.

WideClient will continue to quietly retry at several second intervals, just as it would do if waiting for WideServer to start.

Sorry, I have no other ideas than a firewall block of some sort. I assume you've left the INI files to default? Is that IP address it has been given (192.168.1.84) correct?

Regards

Pete

Is that IP address it has been given (192.168.1.84) correct?
How do I tell?

Not sure. If you haven't assigned fixed IP addresses to each PC (recommended), so don't know what you are using, then I assume you should be able to find out by looking in the Network configuration of your Server PC?

Pete

You were bang on the button Pete. The IP address for the PC was incorrect. It was shown as 192.168.1.84. Altering the ini file to ServerIPAddr=192.168.1.87 made it all work fine.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

• 4 years later...

Hallo Pete

I can see title bar 'Waiting for Clients', on fsx, and I start the Wide client on the other computer , I used to be able to connect to the fsx but now since the udate , I can not connected to fsx from my other computer what should I do?

by the way I am registerd user for FSUIPC and for the WIde FS

wide server.ini

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 7.827] *********

Blocksize guide = 8192 (double allowed)

Date (dmy): 18/05/12, Time 17:33:02.395: Server name is JOHNUK-PC

15663 Initialising TCP/IP server

15663 Initialising UDP/IP server

16131 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

wide server.ini

That is the WideServer LOG as it clearly states. It is also incomplete -- close FS first. The more important file is the WideClient log file, after you've closed WideClient. The Server isn't the part not connecting, it is the Client!

you say

but now since the udate

What update?

Regards

Pete

You were bang on the button Pete. The IP address for the PC was incorrect. It was shown as 192.168.1.84. Altering the ini file to ServerIPAddr=192.168.1.87 made it all work fine.

An alternative to using IP addresses is to use the machine name.

ie in the ini file add the name of the computer running FS.

In my case it is called FSX-PC so is listed as thus

ServerName=FSX-PC

as detailed on page 10 of the manual