The simFlight Network Forums

Propellor Pitch_Axis

After 30-odd years as a virtual aviator, I splashed out and bought myself a Goflight TQ6 throttle and a set of Saitek Pro Rudder pedals. The improvement in realism has been astonishing. That said, I felt that the calibration of the throttles using GF software left something to be desired even though I did all the correct things about disabling assignments in FS9 to prevent dual inputs. I've been experimenting with FSUIPC joystick and throttle quadrant assignment and calibration.

My aim was to set up controls for the Dreamwings Q400 Dash 8 specifically in FS9. This aircraft has customised vasFMC panel gauges. I have the throttles calibrated so that approx the lowest 1/4 of travel is reverse thrust - once I have this exactly right I will make some sort of detachable detente.

The problem now is that I cannot assign an axis to prop pitch. When I go into page 1 the 'rescan' and 'clear' buttons are blanked out. Even when I 'reload all assignments', then rescan and move the pitch controls nothing happens. An axis is not assigned as it was with the joystick and the throttles. The Q400 relies on prop pitch to control taxi speeds and this is very well modelled in the Dreamwings version. Without it the aircraft roars off the stand at 40 knots or more at idle throttle.

I don't want to go back to keyboard controls so if someone can put me right on this I'd be grateful. Believe it or not I have read the manual - it's just that I don't understand all of it. :?

The problem now is that I cannot assign an axis to prop pitch. When I go into page 1 the 'rescan' and 'clear' buttons are blanked out.

They are only blanked is there is no joystick available with any axes -- i.e. no axes to be read.

What version of FSUIPC are you using? This information is always vital. If not the latest increment, from the Updates announcement above, it may be that your joystick is timing out (taking longer to respond than expected). The timeout system was changed a few weeks ago. Please check the Announcements.

Regards

Pete

Thanks.

I'm using 3.96. I made some progress since I posted. I had to close and re-open FSUIPC before I could set the 3rd and 4th assignments on the GF-TQ6 (axis propeller 1 and 2). When I re-opened FSUIPC again I could use the joystick calibration - page 5 prop pitch. I am still not sure that I used the calibration routine correctly. It was good for prop 1 but I could not calibrate prop pitch 2 separately. I just checked map 1 to 12; 2 to 34 and this seems to work quite well although sometimes it is not consistent - may indeed have something to do with timing. The Dreamwings Q400 models the real world FADEC system very faithfully so the manually controlled engine response curves are not a straight line - if that makes sense.

I am still not sure how to alter the sensitivity of the elevator/ailerons - is it simply by altering the slope function?

Thanks again for FSUIPC, WideFS and your help.

I'm using 3.96. I made some progress since I posted. I had to close and re-open FSUIPC before I could set the 3rd and 4th assignments on the GF-TQ6 (axis propeller 1 and 2). When I re-opened FSUIPC again I could use the joystick calibration - page 5 prop pitch.

It still certainly sounds like you are suffering from the rather over-strict timeout checks I put into FSUIPC 3.96. I would strongly advise you to replace the DLL with the later one from the Updates and other Goodies announcement above.

I am still not sure that I used the calibration routine correctly. It was good for prop 1 but I could not calibrate prop pitch 2 separately.

There's absolutely no difference. Are you sure you don't have interference occurring from assignments in FS? You must not have the same axes or buttons assigned in both FS and FSUIPC. Only one or the other, or they will certainly interfere with each other.

I am still not sure how to alter the sensitivity of the elevator/ailerons - is it simply by altering the slope function?

Sensitivity is rather a meaningless word without more context. The "slope" facilities allow you to make a control less responsive in the the centre areas and more in the extremes, or vice versa. For controls without centres the facility allows the response to vary along the range, more to less or less to more. Either way, the calibration ensures that all extremes can be reached. If by "less sensitivity" you mean "limited range" then, no, FSUIPC does not offer you that. It should never be needed. The range of a control is determined by the aircraft modeller.

Regards

Pete

Mr. Dowson,

Sorry to cut into the post, (not sure how else to contact you). Just wondering if you know if it is possible to adjust the airport lighting, in regards to making a 'pilot controlled' lighting program. Just want to know if I'm jumping at something that's not possible.

Thanks,

Jon

Sorry to cut into the post, (not sure how else to contact you). Just wondering if you know if it is possible to adjust the airport lighting, in regards to making a 'pilot controlled' lighting program. Just want to know if I'm jumping at something that's not possible.

It needs the scenery designed to work that way. There's no general solution.

Pete

It still certainly sounds like you are suffering from the rather over-strict timeout checks I put into FSUIPC 3.96. I would strongly advise you to replace the DLL with the later one from the Updates and other Goodies announcement above.

I did this and it did help I think. I have elevator, ailerons, throttles (2), prop pitch control (2) all functioning well - smoother inputs than when using FS9 calibration. I have assigned elevator trim and hat view buttons and these all work fine. I have also assigned rudder pedals and differential toe brakes.

I am beginning to understand the immense power and flexibility of FSUIPC but for now my remaining problem is with the brakes. I can operate differential brakes (shown by red indicators) with either toe brake but this is being over-ridden by a general brake command which does not respond to keyboard 'full stop'.

Are you sure you don't have interference occurring from assignments in FS? You must not have the same axes or buttons assigned in both FS and FSUIPC. Only one or the other, or they will certainly interfere with each other.

Yes, absolutely sure. In normal and slew modes. In fact, I have disabled joystick in FS9 Options/Controls.

Thanks again.

John

I can operate differential brakes (shown by red indicators) with either toe brake but this is being over-ridden by a general brake command which does not respond to keyboard 'full stop'.

What "general brake command" could that be? The full stop key by default operates the simple "BRAKES" control, which puts temporary pressure on both brakes simultaneously. The differential analogue brakes can be AXIS LEFT BRAKE SET and AXIS RIGHT BRAKE SET, or the older BRAKES LEFT and BRAKES RIGHT -- the latter two are usually assigned to F11 and F12 on FS9 and before, but I think that changed with FSX.

The only other braking actions are the parking brake and the AutoBrakes (the latter only on aircraft so equipped).

So which of these do you think is acting without you requesting it? Are you sure it isn't the simple matter of the brake action from your pedals needing reversing? Most pedals are wired so that unless you reverse the axis you get full braking with feet off and no braking only with full pressure on both.

As well as reversing (and re-calibrating afterwards), you will find you also need to calibrate the "brakes off" position with both pedals slighly pressed, otherwise you can find yourself inadvertently getting braking when simply using the rudders.

If in doubt as to what is going on, try using the Logging facilities in FSUIPC. You can log both normal and Axis events. The log (written to the Modules folder) will show their use and even name the control responsible.

Regards

Pete

As well as reversing (and re-calibrating afterwards), you will find you also need to calibrate the "brakes off" position with both pedals slighly pressed, otherwise you can find yourself inadvertently getting braking when simply using the rudders.

Joy! Reversing and recalibration cured the problem. I don't have exactly the same numbers for the Min ('brakes off') values but this doesn't seem to be critical.

Now that I have crept up the learning curve a little, I would like to delve deeper into FSUIPC. Without a knowledge of programming I find parts of the Users Guide a bit daunting, and the Advanced Guide is mostly incomprehensible. For example, now that I have set up a functioning, admittedly basic, Q400 profile, can I create 'generic' versions for GA singles, GA twins, twin engined jets, other twin turboprops, tail-draggers etc? Or is it better to set up individual aircraft? I have dozens!

Thanks very much again.

Now that I have crept up the learning curve a little, I would like to delve deeper into FSUIPC. Without a knowledge of programming I find parts of the Users Guide a bit daunting, and the Advanced Guide is mostly incomprehensible.

The advanced users guide is for advanced users doing more advanced things with their systems, like building and programming a cockpit. Don't look at it if it confuses you, just do the simple things you understand. And none of the User Guide is related to or about "programming", it is mostly about aircraft controls and how they relate to the way FS is made. If you can understand how to fly an aircraft AND how to work out what Flight sim is all about from Microsoft's "documentation", there will be nothing in the User guide which is beyond you.

My documentation is technical, yes, as an A.O.M. would be, because I try to be precise and to the point. And the subject is technical, after all. The SimSamurai guide, written by a chap who writes complete guides for FS users, may be more your style, more chatty and less technical. Take a look at that.

For example, now that I have set up a functioning, admittedly basic, Q400 profile, can I create 'generic' versions for GA singles, GA twins, twin engined jets, other twin turboprops, tail-draggers etc? Or is it better to set up individual aircraft? I have dozens!

Change the "UseProfiles" parameter in the FSUIPC INI file (in the FS Modules folder) from "No" to "Yes" before loading FS, then create a named Profile for each type. You shouldn't need any exceptions. The end result will be much easier to manage.

Regards

Pete

Thanks again. I like your precise way of doing things! I will take a look at the other website but I am pleased with my progress using your guides, especially now that I can 'profile' types of aircraft.

I am at the start of upgrading my controls and I do not really know where that will lead. I know that I would not have the expertise or the patience to design a cockpit but I could certainly build one if it came flat-packed. That is meant as a serious suggestion. A flat pack would just be a skeleton into which controls, switches and screens could be placed when or if required. Hopefully, there is some standardisation between different brands of switches etc. A cockpit like that would have to be adaptable to different aircraft types and would be designed for single seat operation only.

It is just that there would seem to be scope for a bare bones 'ready made' cockpit to fill a gap between the 'keyboard/joystick/monito-on-a-table' set up and the all-singing, all-dancing cockpits shown on the Project Magenta, PFC or GoFlight websites.

Just a thought. Probably unrealistic. :roll:

... but I could certainly build one if it came flat-packed. That is meant as a serious suggestion. A flat pack would just be a skeleton into which controls, switches and screens could be placed when or if required.

There are a few companies around these days making those, though whether they come flat-packed or pre-assembled I don't know -- most likely flat-packed as they're shipped world-wide. For 737NG especially you can get the MIP (main instrument panel, pilot only or both pilot and copilot) pre-cut and ready for glass screens and switches, also overheads and centre pedestals, all of which you can fit the switches and gauges and do your own wiring. Your choice of fittings and electronics, or they'll supply too, usually.

It is just that there would seem to be scope for a bare bones 'ready made' cockpit to fill a gap between the 'keyboard/joystick/monito-on-a-table' set up and the all-singing, all-dancing cockpits shown on the Project Magenta, PFC or GoFlight websites.

Sim-Samurai does such a middle-path cockpit, or even just the plans. Maybe you should look at his site after all?

Just a thought. Probably unrealistic. :roll:

No, you'll be surprised at what you can find if you look around. My eyes were opened when I first visited the Lelystad FS Weekend a couple of years ago. There's a tremendous variety of stuff available, and more, it seems, every day. Pay a visit to MyCockpits some time and scan through the variations there, for starters. http://www.mycockpit.org

Regards

Pete

There are a few companies around these days making those, though whether they come flat-packed or pre-assembled I don't know -- most likely flat-packed as they're shipped world-wide. For 737NG especially you can get the MIP (main instrument panel, pilot only or both pilot and copilot) pre-cut and ready for glass screens and switches, also overheads and centre pedestals, all of which you can fit the switches and gauges and do your own wiring. Your choice of fittings and electronics, or they'll supply too, usually.

No, you'll be surprised at what you can find if you look around. My eyes were opened when I first visited the Lelystad FS Weekend a couple of years ago. There's a tremendous variety of stuff available, and more, it seems, every day. Pay a visit to MyCockpits some time and scan through the variations there, for starters. http://www.mycockpit.org

Regards

Pete

Thanks, yet again. I've just been listening to your interview on the mycockpit site. Excellent stuff. I looked at the SimSamurai site too and will go through the FSUIPC tutorial as soon as I get a chance. I'm sure his FS9 guide is equally good - I might even buy it. Between these two websites, and the next Lelystad FS show (?) I've got plenty to chew on.