The simFlight Network Forums

Destination winds

Hi,

I'm using the latest Beta version of ASE on a client machine, with latest FSUIPC, and the latest Beta of WideFS. I have the hook in my .ini file for UseASEWeather, etc..

The latest version of ASE incorporates a mode called "Smooth Cloud Transitions." I have found that this provides the most pleasing experience, but, as the ReadMe warns, there are some discrepancies between what ASE reports the weather to be versus what FSX ATIS says. I have found that the FSX ATIS, in this mode, reflects the actual "smoothed" conditions on the ground, within FSX, at the destination airport. (The ASE voice ATIS is pretty well useless when flying in this mode.)

The problem with using the FSX built in ATIS is that I can only aquire it less than 100 miles out...which causes some flight planning problems with the fast jets.

Is there a way, through FSUIPC, (perhaps LUA??) that I could acquire the Destination Temp/Winds/Baro by creating a pop-up, and typing in the ICAO identifier of my destination airport or weather station???

If so, then where do I begin?

I'm using the latest Beta version of ASE on a client machine, with latest FSUIPC, and the latest Beta of WideFS. I have the hook in my .ini file for UseASEWeather, etc..

"UseASEweather, etc."?. What's the "etc" part? And you shouldn't need to add UseASEweather, as it is defaulted to do so if ASE is in DWC (Direct Weather Control) mode. If it isn't using DWC there's really no need.

The latest version of ASE incorporates a mode called "Smooth Cloud Transitions." I have found that this provides the most pleasing experience, but, as the ReadMe warns, there are some discrepancies between what ASE reports the weather to be versus what FSX ATIS says. I have found that the FSX ATIS, in this mode, reflects the actual "smoothed" conditions on the ground, within FSX, at the destination airport.

That makes sense except in DWC mode, because in that mode ASE sets FSX into "global" weather mode, in which the weather is the same all over the world, with ASE changing it as you fly. That's the whole reason for the aSE link-up in FSUIPC!

So are you saying you are NOT using DWC and that's why you added the UseASEweather parameter, to force the connection?

The problem with using the FSX built in ATIS is that I can only aquire it less than 100 miles out.

That's actually a greater range than I thought you could receive ATIS broadcasts. Mostly I thought it was less than 80 nm.

.which causes some flight planning problems with the fast jets.

Er. Why? Surely for planning purposes you should be obtaining the predicted en route weather before even taking off. In the real world you'd get that in the planning room on or ACARS. In the Sim world you get it from ASE direct.

Is there a way, through FSUIPC, (perhaps LUA??) that I could acquire the Destination Temp/Winds/Baro by creating a pop-up, and typing in the ICAO identifier of my destination airport or weather station???

You could do it by using the Weather request via offsets in the CC0x range. You'd be able to read the ATIS as an FSX-encoded METAR string in another offset. All the details you need are provided in the FSUIPC SDK. Yes, you could do it via a Lua plug-in. It's only a sequence of offset writes and reads.

I actually get weather via "Its Your Plane". Usually it matches ASE. I assume they get the weather from similar Internet sites.

Pete

So are you saying you are NOT using DWC and that's why you added the UseASEweather parameter, to force the connection?

That is correct: I am NOT using DWC. The latest Beta build of ASE now has three depiction modes. In addition to "Standard" and DWC, there is a new thing called "Smooth Cloud Transitions". I am using the latter. Like, DWC, the Smooth Cloud also exhibits discrepancies between what is actually in the Sim versus what is displayed on the ASE report screen.

Er. Why? Surely for planning purposes you should be obtaining the predicted en route weather before even taking off. In the real world you'd get that in the planning room on or ACARS. In the Sim world you get it from ASE direct.

In this mode, I can't get it from ASE directly because the weather on the Reports screen or the ASE voice Atis, doesn't correspond to what is actually in the Sim. In this mode, the weather is apparently not exactly like what is in the real world at any given time, it apparently has been smoothed in such a way as to provide less abrupt transitions. The FSX ATIS, though, accurately reflects what is in the sim.

You could do it by using the Weather request via offsets in the CC0x range. You'd be able to read the ATIS as an FSX-encoded METAR string in another offset. All the details you need are provided in the FSUIPC SDK. Yes, you could do it via a Lua plug-in. It's only a sequence of offset writes and reads.

Okay, thanks, I'll look into this. I never programmed anything in LUA before, but I can try.

• 8 months later...