The simFlight Network Forums

Problem with dead battery in FS2004

I bought the PMDG 737NG last week. Except for some bugs which are adressed by the team as we speak, I really have one annoying bug which seems to be caused by FSUIPC 3.04. (although im not really sure)

It seems that the 'extend battery live' function in the unregistered version of fsuipc does not work. Although i read somewhere that it should function whenever fsuipc is registered or not. After about 5 mins the airplane goes completely dark, whether on ground power or APU.

I bought the PMDG 737NG last week. Except for some bugs which are adressed by the team as we speak, I really have one annoying bug which seems to be caused by FSUIPC 3.04. (although im not really sure)

It seems that the 'extend battery live' function in the unregistered version of fsuipc does not work. Although i read somewhere that it should function whenever fsuipc is registered or not. After about 5 mins the airplane goes completely dark, whether on ground power or APU.

That's one of the many user facilities which is only operational in the registered version. Please check the documentation for FSUIPC. How are you even trying to switch it on when you have no access to the options pages for it?

This is not a "bug" caused by FSUIPC. Take FSUIPC out and the batteries will still drain. The user facility in FSUIPC is a "cheat" which keeps topping the battery voltage up, that's all.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks for the explanation, and my apologies for calling normal fsuipc behaviour a bug :) *grin*

Anyway i now also recall as of where I read about beeing it available in the unreg version. I read MagicBattery=Yes in the ini file :)

On a other note, it is (in my opinion ofcourse) a bit strange that although PMDG 737ng is a registered fsuipc application, I cannot use the pmdg normally because of the dead battery. I have to start the engines quickly, which is obviously not 'as real as it gets'. But oh whell that's just a thought :P

Thanks for the explanation, and my apologies for calling normal fsuipc behaviour a bug :) *grin*

No, you still have it wrong. Without the "magic battery" feature operative, FSUIPC simply doesn't touch the battery. It is not "normal behaviour" in this respect, it is no behaviour at all, just as if it was nor running. FSUIPC is simply not involved.

Anyway i now also recall as of where I read about beeing it available in the unreg version. I read MagicBattery=Yes in the ini file :)

That is probably carried over from an earlier version. FSUIPC deliberately does not destroy your previous settings, just because you haven't registered. that would be rather annoying. As soon as you register, all your previous settings will come to life, as it were. At least all those still applicable.

On a other note, it is (in my opinion ofcourse) a bit strange that although PMDG 737ng is a registered fsuipc application, I cannot use the pmdg normally because of the dead battery.

It is perhaps an oversight on their part. I'm sure the PMDG programmers could maintain the battery as easily as FSUIPC does if they wanted to. They may only use FSUIPC for the TCAS data in any case. That's what most add-on aircraft use it for.

Really the battery running flat so quickly is an FS bug, and I had hopes of it being fixed in FS2004. MS folks did say it was "better", but it doesn't seem that much better to me. It applies to all aircraft that don't otherwise take care of it.

Regards,

Pete

Ok you cleared up most of my questions, thanks

Still one thing I can't figure out: since the 737ng is an 'registered fsuipc' app, why can't we fly it normally without paying another 20 euro's for the registration of fsuipc. I know you're getting back at me for beeing de battery problem an fs2k4 bug, but the least thing that could be accomplished is enabling the dead battery fix for only the pmdg. (as the pmdg is a registered app)

Still one thing I can't figure out: since the 737ng is an 'registered fsuipc' app, why can't we fly it normally without paying another 20 euro's for the registration of fsuipc. I know you're getting back at me for beeing de battery problem an fs2k4 bug, but the least thing that could be accomplished is enabling the dead battery fix for only the pmdg. (as the pmdg is a registered app)

I'm not sure I can do that. It is much easier for them to fix the voltage themselves. Why should PMDG aircraft be special, what about those with the default 737, 777? What about all the other aircraft?

I really do not want to erode the difference between a full user copy of FSUIPC and the plain interface facility which is all any application should need. I provide the tools, the SDK, and good technical support to all accredited application developers, and still I am asked to give facilities away to get their program to work for them? There's really something there that doesn't add up. Sorry.

Regards,

Pete