The simFlight Network Forums

WideClient FS98 Eliminator - Waiting for connection.

I have linked my Main PC to a Client PC wirelessly using Win 7. The Main PC is running FSX and a registered copy of FSUIPC v 4.20 downloaded this pm. Additionally, I have registered the copy of WideFS, also downloaded today.

The Client PC is networked to the Main PC and shows FSX on the X Drive and Documents on the Y Drive. Both PC's are connected to the internet as well as each other

I have copied WideFS to the Client PC and opened it on the desktop; the ReadMe says I only need to run WideClient.exe. In the WinZip window I have double clicked this file. An empty window titled "WideClient FS98 Eliminator - Waiting for a connection" has appeared.

It has been waiting now for the past 5 mins and nothing has happened, what needs to be done to make WideFS run, please?

Thank you,

Tregarth

I have linked my Main PC to a Client PC wirelessly using Win 7. The Main PC is running FSX and a registered copy of FSUIPC v 4.20 downloaded this pm.

Where did you get version 4.20? It is years out of date and unsupportable. Please get a currently supported version such as 4.70. Only download from the proper sites.

The Client PC is networked to the Main PC and shows FSX on the X Drive and Documents on the Y Drive.

Having mapped drives is not relevant to WideFS, though you might want to do that for other programs.

I have copied WideFS to the Client PC and opened it on the desktop; the ReadMe says I only need to run WideClient.exe. In the WinZip window I have double clicked this file. An empty window titled "WideClient FS98 Eliminator - Waiting for a connection" has appeared. It has been waiting now for the past 5 mins and nothing has happened, what needs to be done to make WideFS run, please?

Have you read any of the WideFS user guide? Please do so, especially the section on configuring your network. There's a RED note there strongly advising you to do so.

But first get a current version of FSUIPC installed.

Regards

Pete

OK.

I now have FSUIPC v 4.703 installed in FSX. It is a registered version. The WideClient file is dated 11/4/2011, this too, has been registered.

I have opened WideFS.zip on my client PC and extracted both WideClient.ini and WideClient.exe to a folder called WideFS files. The folder is now in my Flight Sim Commander folder. I then created a shortcut which I have placed on my desktop.

FSX is running and the 2 PC's are connected. I have closed and re-started FSX then run the WideClient shortcut.

On the client PC I see an empty window "WideClient FS98 Eliminator - Waiting for a connection." On the Blue FSX title bar I see "MS FSX with WideServer: Waiting for details"

This message has shown for the past 2-3 mins, nothing else has happened.

What happens next?

Where did you get version 4.20? It is years out of date and unsupportable. Please get a currently supported version such as 4.70. Only download from the proper sites.

Having mapped drives is not relevant to WideFS, though you might want to do that for other programs.

Have you read any of the WideFS user guide? Please do so, especially the section on configuring your network. There's a RED note there strongly advising you to do so.

But first get a current version of FSUIPC installed.

Regards

Pete

What happens next?

I can't diagnose problems with no information.

Are both PCs in the same WorkGroup, as advised in the documentation? If not, have you added the WideClient.INI parameters suggested in the documentation? (Have you even read any of the documentation?)

If you've followed instructions and still have problems, I need to see the Logs so I can tell what the problem might be. There will be a WideServer.LOG in the FS modules folder, and a WideClient.LOG in the folder in which you placed WideClient. Paste both into a message here.

Regards

Pete

The problem was related to networking. I have changed my network set up and the problem has gone.

Yes, I do read your manuals; unfortunately words like "turgid" come to mind. Your somewhat arrogant style in your responses does not help much either.

I fully accept you are extremely clever at writing computer code, unfortunately humans do not react in the same way as machines so your "machine code" prose is less than memorable. You need a "human interface".

Never the less, thank you for your help and prompt replies.

I can't diagnose problems with no information.

Are both PCs in the same WorkGroup, as advised in the documentation? If not, have you added the WideClient.INI parameters suggested in the documentation? (Have you even read any of the documentation?)

If you've followed instructions and still have problems, I need to see the Logs so I can tell what the problem might be. There will be a WideServer.LOG in the FS modules folder, and a WideClient.LOG in the folder in which you placed WideClient. Paste both into a message here.

Regards

Pete