The simFlight Network Forums

Failure Offsets

I'm working on a small persistent failure script, and wondering if there are some undocumented ones not listed in the documentation.

If I look in the FSX failures menu there are individual failures for engine components (cylinders, magnetos, fire, oil leak), and a lot of other things (individual gears, static system, individual ailerons, fuel leak etc.), that don't seem to be available as offsets.

Is this because they're unavailable to you? Would it be possible to add them all?

I'm working on a small persistent failure script, and wondering if there are some undocumented ones not listed in the documentation.

The FSUIPC SDK offsets lists provide all that FSUIPC can create. Folks who've implemented more extensive failures have done so by manipulating those values in the simulation which can be manipulated in order to generate the correct symptoms.

If I look in the FSX failures menu there are individual failures for engine components (cylinders, magnetos, fire, oil leak), and a lot of other things (individual gears, static system, individual ailerons, fuel leak etc.), that don't seem to be available as offsets.

Is this because they're unavailable to you? Would it be possible to add them all?

These are the ones supported by Simconnect:

TOGGLE_VACUUM_FAILURE

TOGGLE_ELECTRICAL_FAILURE

TOGGLE_PITOT_BLOCKAGE

TOGGLE_STATIC_PORT_BLOCKAGE

TOGGLE_HYDRAULIC_FAILURE

TOGGLE_TOTAL_BRAKE_FAILURE

TOGGLE_LEFT_BRAKE_FAILURE

TOGGLE_RIGHT_BRAKE_FAILURE

TOGGLE_ENGINE1_FAILURE

TOGGLE_ENGINE2_FAILURE

TOGGLE_ENGINE3_FAILURE

TOGGLE_ENGINE4_FAILURE

Where these match offset usage in previous releases of FS I've mapped to them, otherwise you can of course use them as FS controls, or via offset 3110.

There are some SimConnect variables which deal with failures and which are mapped to offsets:

RECIP ENG TURBOCHARGER FAILED:index ==> Offsets 36B8 etc

PARTIAL PANEL ADF

PARTIAL PANEL AIRSPEED

PARTIAL PANEL ALTIMETER

PARTIAL PANEL ATTITUDE

PARTIAL PANEL COMM

PARTIAL PANEL COMPASS

PARTIAL PANEL ELECTRICAL

PARTIAL PANEL AVIONICS

PARTIAL PANEL ENGINE

PARTIAL PANEL FUEL INDICATOR

PARTIAL PANEL HEADING

PARTIAL PANEL VERTICAL VELOCITY

PARTIAL PANEL TRANSPONDER

PARTIAL PANEL NAV

PARTIAL PANEL PITOT

PARTIAL PANEL TURN COORDINATOR

PARTIAL PANEL VACUUM

All of the PARTIAL PANEL ones are not system failures only gauge failures, or blanked gauges. Virtually all of these are mapped to FSUIPC offsets 0B64 to 0B73 inclusive, for compatibility. The ones that aren't are, I think, read-only in any case.

There's nothing more accessible programmatically.

Regards

Pete

In the current SimConnect docs (http://msdn.microsof...y/cc526981.aspx) under "Racing" there appear to be some additional things related to engine cylinders. These do not apply to FSX?

There's only the one, giving a count of the number of failed cylinders, and it isn't writeable. I don't know where these apply -- presumably only to the Red Bull racing aircraft scenarios?

On a separate note, there appears to be a limit on Lua script names. "PersistentFailure.lua" is truncated to PersistentFailur. Can it be expanded to more than 16, maybe 64?

No, sorry. It has to fit into a table which is used for all assignments. 16 characters gives an enormous number of possibilities. Computers in DOS days had a limit of 8 characters on filenames and that period lasted many years without anyone running out! ;-)

I thought the 16 character limit had been mentioned in the documentation. Sorry if it hasn't, I'll correct that.

Pete

• 2 years later...

Do these r/w offsets actually work in SimConnect? I set up my application to put the Airspeed gauge in fail mode (value = 1) by using the "PARTIAL PANEL AIRSPEED" sim variable but it does not seem to do anything at all.

I set it to 1 (FAIL) and the gauge keeps on working, showing the same airspeed (I expected it to wind down to zero). I tried by blanking it (value = 2) but the gauge is not blanked, remains operational.

I am using SimConnect with FSX.

Do these r/w offsets actually work in SimConnect? I set up my application to put the Airspeed gauge in fail mode (value = 1) by using the "PARTIAL PANEL AIRSPEED" sim variable but it does not seem to do anything at all.

I set it to 1 (FAIL) and the gauge keeps on working, showing the same airspeed (I expected it to wind down to zero). I tried by blanking it (value = 2) but the gauge is not blanked, remains operational.

I am using SimConnect with FSX.

FSUIPC uses the same Sim Vars so if you have found they don't work directly, they won't work via FSUIPC either, but it is easy enough to try using, say, FSInterrogate or a little Lua plug-in . Is this with default aircraft? All of them? It may depend on specific gauge implementation.

[LATER]

I just tested offset 0B65, which uses the PARTIAL PANEL AIRSPEED simvar, and certainly in the default FSX 737 is cuases the ASI readout to freeze at its current value, so it does work at least in a fashion, though you were presumably expecting it to simply read zero instead of freezing?

It is probably okay in the other default aircraft too -- it was just that I had the 737 loaded at the time.

Pete

• 3 years later...

Sir, i managed to put engine fail function on our virtual airline application. It is activated on a random base during the take off or approach, which is the simulation of a birdstrike. Now i am trying to find a way to apply "tire blow" event if the pilot lands with or higher than a specific vertical speed. Is it possible via FSUIPC? 

On 9/24/2011 at 2:14 AM, pilotjohn said:

On a separate note, there appears to be a limit on Lua script names. "PersistentFailure.lua" is truncated to PersistentFailur. Can it be expanded to more than 16, maybe 64?

Sorry, the limit on Lua names is 16 characters, and it is table related. It has provided sufficient for the whole time FSUIPC and WideFs has supported Lua. Just try using more succinct or abbreviated names. You won't run out.

Pete

On 9/8/2017 at 11:24 PM, buick552 said:

Now i am trying to find a way to apply "tire blow" event if the pilot lands with or higher than a specific vertical speed. Is it possible via FSUIPC? 

I don't think any Sim FSUIPC supports can simulate these as such. Can you not simulate the reaults of such an event, whatever they are?

Pete