The simFlight Network Forums

makerwys.exe vanishing from FSX folder ?

Several of my utility FSX programs require executing makerwys.exe (in the FSX folder) to update their Nav databases.

Before I restart the update process (checking the FSX folder after each program DB update) I thought I'd post this issue to

see if anyone else knows more about this issue than I do now.

FYI, three of the DB updates (RCV4, FS Flightkeeper, and VAFS5) are being run via WideFS. One DB update (Flight Sim Commander V9)

is being run on the primary (FSX) PC. I'm wondering if perhaps the makerwys executable is being moved (vice copied) to another

folder (..\windows\Prefetch perhaps) during the update process.

Regards,

Ken Boardman

Best way to check is open FS folder and watch the Makerwys.exe file. Run each applications database rebuild option. If the file disappears when a certain application is being run then that is culprit. I don't see why any of the applications would move/delete the file though. I have never seen this problem with any of the utilities I have run and I run it across a network too.

EDIT - Misread your post; it appears you are already doing the above.

Several of my utility FSX programs require executing makerwys.exe (in the FSX folder) to update their Nav databases.

Before I restart the update process (checking the FSX folder after each program DB update) I thought I'd post this issue to

see if anyone else knows more about this issue than I do now.

FYI, three of the DB updates (RCV4, FS Flightkeeper, and VAFS5) are being run via WideFS. One DB update (Flight Sim Commander V9)

is being run on the primary (FSX) PC. I'm wondering if perhaps the makerwys executable is being moved (vice copied) to another

folder (..\windows\Prefetch perhaps) during the update process.

I've also never heard of such an odd thing occurring. It doesn't make any sense. Anyway, it's easy enough to correct -- just put it back. The latest version is always available here in the Download Links subforum.

Pete

Thank you for the fast replies.

Pete,

I've needed to perform your suggested action several times to get my updates done.

When I've figured out what's going on I'll follow up here. If I can't figure it out I'll just

run all my updates from a custom bat file >> guess what the final action will be ~: )

Just joking of course (certainly shouldn't come to that).

Best to all,

Ken

I've discovered that the culprit is the VAFS5 client on the secondary laptop (connecting via WideFS). I've uploaded a message to the

VAFinancials forum to find out if it's a known issue and (perhaps) what can be done to remedy it.

So every time you run this VAFS5 program it deletes the MakeRunways executable from the FS folder? I wonder why? It surely cannot be accidental!?

What happens if you make it read-only -- i.e. afford it some protection?

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thank you for the suggestion. Setting the makerwys file to Read Only caused VAFS5 to yield an error message

in the VAFS5 log file when I tried to update it's DB via WideFS (excerpt below). Haven't received a reply as yet to

the message I submitted about this to the VAFinancials forum. I'll let you know when / what I hear from them.

Best regards,

Ken

[iNFO ] 2012-09-23 11:31:56 - Starting VAFS

[iNFO ] 2012-09-23 11:31:58 - VAFS Initialization Complete.

[iNFO ] 2012-09-23 11:31:59 - Login Button Clicked.

[iNFO ] 2012-09-23 11:32:02 - Starting FSUIPC Comm Timer

[iNFO ] 2012-09-23 11:32:07 - VAFS Options Button Clicked.

[ERROR] 2012-09-23 11:32:14 - Runway Database Creation Error: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '\\KENS-PC\Flight Simulator X\MakeRwys.exe' is denied.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.File.Delete(String path)

at g.c(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)

Setting the makerwys file to Read Only caused VAFS5 to yield an error message

in the VAFS5 log file when I tried to update it's DB via WideFS (excerpt below).

[ERROR] 2012-09-23 11:32:14 - Runway Database Creation Error: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '\\KENS-PC\Flight Simulator X\MakeRwys.exe' is denied.

Wow! So it IS deliberately trying to delete it! What an unfriendly thing to do! That's the sort of thing invading virus software tries to do (but with more critical parts of course)!

Pete

• 1 year later...

I suspect they are moving it to a folder of their choosing and running it there rather than just deleting it, they probably want to build a database somewhere in their own folders rather than mess around with the files in the FSX root folder. Why not simply mark the MakeRwys.exe as read only like Pete said earlier then this other software cannot move it.

Hi,

is it possible that you didn´t read the thread correct?

Setting the makerwys file to Read Only caused VAFS5 to yield an error message
in the VAFS5 log file when I tried to update it's DB via WideFS (excerpt below).