The simFlight Network Forums

Keeping settings when updating module

Hey guys,

With P3D 2.3 now out, i know i need to update my FSUIPC when it is released soon...

What files do i keep in order to avoid setting up my joysticks and buttons etc... i have them right where needed at the moment and would hate to have to do it all again...

Any clues?

Thanks chaps

Doug

The FSUIPC4.ini file contains all the settings.

When updating, that is preserved. At least I have never had any issues when

doing the incremental or full upates.

If new lines are needed in the General section they are inserted without disturbing

the rest of the file.

That said, it is always good practice to save a backup copy periodically,,,,just in case :)

Paul

Hi,

Starting with the version below you should also save your Profiles directory.

Rgds

Reinhard

FSUIPC version 4.934a, for those with at least 4.931 already installed FSUIPC 4.934a

-- Adds facilities for Profiles in separate files

-- Fixes display of parameter value -2147483648 or x80000000

Interesting, I just dropped in my P3D v.2.2 ini and it looks like settings were not retained?  My throttle is now my brake on several aircraft.  I switched over to the Profiles folder (which is a great improvement), but I wonder if that broke my settings?  Anybody else losing setting sdespite having a custom ini?  This is using the FSUIPC beta 2.3 dll by the way.

Interesting, I just dropped in my P3D v.2.2 ini and it looks like settings were not retained?  My throttle is now my brake on several aircraft.  I switched over to the Profiles folder (which is a great improvement), but I wonder if that broke my settings?  Anybody else losing setting sdespite having a custom ini?  This is using the FSUIPC beta 2.3 dll by the way.

FSUIPC does not change settings. If your assignments got crossed between different joysticks it will be only because the joystick ID assigned by Windows changed. That can happen if you unplug USB cables, or update Windows versions. Best to use FSUIPC's joystick lettering facilities so it can keep track -- there's a chapter about this in the User Guide.

I see P3D 2.3 was released whilst I was away. I shall be working on an FSUIPC update tomorrow (Monday 18th).

Pete

Ah.... that must be it Pete (welcome back by the way), as I did perform a new fresh install Win7 on a new SSD.  Is there a way to get it back?  I do still have the old Win7 OS on my old SSD and I was using the FSUIPC's joystick lettering facilities.  Can I grab a file there (fingers crossed) or somewhere and move it over to the new OS?

Ah.... that must be it Pete (welcome back by the way), as I did perform a new fresh install Win7 on a new SSD.  Is there a way to get it back?  I do still have the old Win7 OS on my old SSD and I was using the FSUIPC's joystick lettering facilities.  Can I grab a file there (fingers crossed) or somewhere and move it over to the new OS?

If you were using the joystick lettering already, then the same INI file from the FSX Modules folder should still work okay. But then, if you weren't using your original INI file I don't understand how things got crossed because you would have had no existing assignments to get crossed! Obviously I am misunderstanding your original report!

Pete

Ok, let me explain what I did:

1. Copied my entire P3D 'Modules' over to a temp folder 

A. Had custom assignments for each aircraft within FSUIPC and had created the [JoyNames] section in there.  Just double-checked the FSUIPC4.ini file.

B.  I was not using the 'Profiles' folder as of yet when tested.  But changed to that to see if that made a difference.  No difference in assignments).

2. Formatted my OS drive

3. Formatted my P3D drive

4. Fresh install of Windows 7 on OS drive.

5. Full install of P3D v2.3 on my P3D drive.

6. Copied the Modules folder into the new P3D installation.

That's all I've done really.

Now I noticed there is no [JoyNames] in the newly created Profiles folder but there is still that section located in the newly created FSUIPC4.Ini file. 

Hope that helps.

Now I noticed there is no [JoyNames] in the newly created Profiles folder but there is still that section located in the newly created FSUIPC4.Ini file. 

JoyNames is nothing to do with Profiles, it is part of the way FSUIPC keeps track of devices, that's all.

The Profiles facility is simply one way of keeping different assignments and/or calibrations for different aircraft, so only sections appertaining to those things will get separated once you opt to use the separate folder.

Pete