The simFlight Network Forums

Runway Holding Position

DomYul

Anyone know how to create a runway holding position? Looked at the manual but couldn't figure it out.

KORD is missing a holding position at 32L when aircraft approach from taxiway T. I opened the editor and it shows one coming from taxiway M only. Therefore all aircraft taxiing from T continue to a Line up and Hold position without instructions.

If you know how to create one on editor, I would greatly appreciate step by step instructions.

Thanks All!

Dom

Open up the editor and the airfield, Select the taxi way in the right hand list, select edit, you should see a load of black dots along the length  of the taxiway, select the closest dot to where you want the aircraft to stop, I think it's right click on the dot, it will change colour when selected, hold and drag into position, then in the edit box for the taxiway, at the bottom is a field called gate, select two way, and in the field below that type 14R,32L. You should then see the blue hold line on that dot/knot.

Gareth

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure I understand this FIX...  I followed the instructions up to where I was supposed select a taxiway in the "right hand list" (???).  I selected "T" on my list and hit 'edit' and RED dots showed up along the taxiway, not black ones.  By this point I'm confused about what I'm supposed to do.  I selected and clicked on a red dot near taxiway "N".  The dot turned GREEN..  I dragged that GREEN dot to the entry of taxiway "N".  It was the only dot nearby that would drag.  At that point I selected "two way" and entered "14R,32L".  There was no way to 'enter' that information, so I checked "ADD".  When I went back to the game, I had the same problem.  Every airplane taxiing to 32L taxied right onto the runway from taxiway "T" without stopping at the gate..   I tried this 3 different time without success.

Roy

29 minutes ago, kickerpicker said:

I'm not sure I understand this FIX...  I followed the instructions up to where I was supposed select a taxiway in the "right hand list" (???).  I selected "T" on my list and hit 'edit' and RED dots showed up along the taxiway, not black ones.  By this point I'm confused about what I'm supposed to do.  I selected and clicked on a red dot near taxiway "N".  The dot turned GREEN..  I dragged that GREEN dot to the entry of taxiway "N".  It was the only dot nearby that would drag.  At that point I selected "two way" and entered "14R,32L".  There was no way to 'enter' that information, so I checked "ADD".  When I went back to the game, I had the same problem.  Every airplane taxiing to 32L taxied right onto the runway from taxiway "T" without stopping at the gate..   I tried this 3 different time without success.

Roy

Don't click add, when you have moved the dot to where you want the hold and have entered the two way gate and the trigger, the runway numbers, just click the "x" to close. 

Then you can save and exit

Gareth

Gareth,

I have a holding post on TW "T" now, and the airplanes stop there, but it is too far from the runway.  There is also a holding post on TW "M" which serves the purpose of holding the traffic from taxiing onto the runway (32L) just fine.  I have tried to figure out how to REMOVE or DELETE the holding gate on TW "T", but I've had no luck and I'm afraid I'll screw something up with my limited knowledge.  Is there a way to eliminate the hold on TW "T" at 32L?  I'm really learning as I go here, and you guys have been a wealth of information for me.  

Roy

Hi

As before get yourself to the point where you head the taxiway open in the editor. Select the dot with hold line you want to remove, and where you added the two way gate, change it to n,/a , "x" and save

Gareth

I am totally frustrated with this holding problem on 32L at KORD!!  First of all, the black dots.. I am not sure about the black dots.  I have RED dots, but I don't believe that is what you are referring to. I have magnified the area in question.  I have about 5 blue lines crossing TW "M" near the entry to RW 32L, none of which halts the traffic going to that RW.  When I try, as you suggested, to remove these blue lines (GATES????) they do not go away.  Nor do they stop any traffic!  Now I have blue lines on TW "M" between TW "T" and RW 32L..  Some go straight across the runway and some are at an angle.  That doesn't seem correct.  Is there no way to "UNDO" a mistake here? I hesitate to try and fix it again, because I would hate to ruin the airport with an erroneous fix.  I'm thinking that I may have to reload the Chicago airport and start afresh.  What are your suggestions?

Roy

OK I,ll walk you though a fix,

Get the airport loaded in the editor, find the taxiway with the blue lines, highlight it and click delete. Hopefully the entire yellow taxiway path has gone.

Now to add a new path, click add and an edit box should open, at the top change the "set name" to the taxiway name in capitals.

Now on the map use your right mouse button and draw a new taxiway following the center line jacking sure each end Crosse's the center line of the joining taxiway showing with  a black dot or knot. Whilst your drawing the new taxiway make sure you put a right click on each hold line as you pass it.

When you get to the end go back and left click the dot on the hold line so it changes green, then in the edit box at the bottom right, select a two way gate from the drop list and a single blue line should appear. Then you need to assign the runway to the gate , so add 14R,32L in the bottom field in the edit box, repeat that for each of the hold,s you want to add.

Let me know  how you get on

Gareth

On 6/18/2016 at 3:21 PM, mc16v said:

Your quote:  " Now on the map use your right mouse button and draw a new taxiway following the center line jacking sure each end Crosse's the center line of the joining taxiway showing with  a black dot or knot. Whilst your drawing the new taxiway make sure you put a right click on each hold line as you pass it. " 

THIS is the part that is NOT working for me, for whatever reason..  I do OK up to this point.  I place the cursor at the extreme west end of where taxiway "M" used to be, to prepare to drag the cursor to my right, down the taxiway. I click the RIGHT mouse button and a red light comes on there, but that light is not always lined up on the taxiway center line. So I delete that effort and start all over.  I've started all over at least a dozen times. On those one or two occasions when I DO get a yellow line appearing on the entire length of the taxiway, that's all I get.  A thin yellow line!!!  It has a green dot at one end and a red dot at the other.  I try to "SAVE" that, but the taxiway is still gone.  No new taxiway and certainly no holding post.    The dexterity required to try and draw a line with a mouse while I'm trying to hold the right click button down the entire length of the taxiway is next to impossible for me, or I am misunderstanding the entire procedure. 

I hate to be a pest, and I really do appreciate that you are truly trying to help me, but there is a lot about this that I just don't know.. 

Roy

Sorry, my fault, should have been clearer, don't drag the mouse, use the right button and click along the taxiway center line making sure to click on the hold lines as you pass them,

as you go along you'll end up with red dots like this, you can see the black dots where it passes other taxiway's, make sure there is a black dot or the aircraft cant follow the route. see the second dot from the top, (which is on a hold line at KLAX) is green, left click a dot and it is selected and shown in green

if you left click on a dot where you want to add a hold with the left button, the dot will change green to show its selected, then fill in the edit box as below with the appropriat runway numbers.

Name is the taxiway ID, for example "M"

It needs to be a simple two way taxiway at adount 70 to 80 foot wide.

Hopefully that helps.

Gareth

In the gate trg you have to put the runways they are arriving from or departing to, not the crossing runway and the gate type is where you can choose which directions the trigger will work, so looking at your upper picture, planes will hold short if they have arrived or is taxiing to runway 7L or 25R both ways , the lower picture no planes will stop

4 minutes ago, Henrik Norgaard said:

In the gate trg you have to put the runways they are arriving from or departing to, not the crossing runway and the gate type is where you can choose which directions the trigger will work, so looking at your upper picture, planes will hold short if they have arrived or is taxiing to runway 7L or 25R, the lower picture no planes will stop

my pictures are just to give example to Roy aka kickerpicker who is editing KORD

Gareth

Gareth,

Many thanks for all the instruction and most of all, your patience with me.  With your last message, the procedure made sense and I DID successfully get it to make a new taxiway with a holding post in the correct spot!!!  After saving it, I went in and worked a northwest flow from KORD and the traffic routed to RW 32L for takeoff stopped at the gate, AS THEY SHOULD, making the exercise realistic. 

Again, thank you!

Roy