The simFlight Network Forums

New 3D airports

hartleecub

There's a reason large airports like JFK and ATL have multiple controller positions. I think a better alternative would be a smaller airport with a high mix of GA and airline traffic with multiple runway configurations like DCA or BUR. You wouldn't need binoculars and the smaller size demands a very creative approach to managing both departures and arrivals, especially on the ground. SAN would be very challenging as well, and I think even more popular than its first iteration with Tower.

Mike

7 hours ago, hartleecub said:

There's a reason large airports like JFK and ATL have multiple controller positions. I think a better alternative would be a smaller airport with a high mix of GA and airline traffic with multiple runway configurations like DCA or BUR. You wouldn't need binoculars and the smaller size demands a very creative approach to managing both departures and arrivals, especially on the ground. SAN would be very challenging as well, and I think even more popular than its first iteration with Tower.

Mike

First, I just want to emphasize that I am stating my personal opinions/observations and do not speak for FeelThere.  I too would enjoy some small but congested fields like KDCA, KLGA, and KMDW, but that does not mean that I do not want to have a few monsters like KJFK and KATL, and KORD in my arsenal as well.  Each type of airport has its place, and I am sure that some airports along the lines of what you suggest will be developed. The sim is still pretty new, and it will take time before there is as large a selection as we have with Tower2011.  Especially now that it is confirmed that a couple of 3rd parties will be developing add-on in addition to FeelThere, I am sure that it will happen, and probably faster than with the last sim, which in my mind really only came into its own in the last year or two with so many 3rd party airports being released.

As for breaking up the airport management into sectors, yes this would be more realistic, but it would also likely make the sim less entertaining, IMHO.    Remember, that in the real world, the goal is to make controlling a more regimented and bureaucratic process that reduces the chance of accidents.  In a game, that would be fairly boring.  For example how much fun would it be in Tower3D, if your only job was clearing planes for takeoff and landing on a single runway in an airport with a parallel layout like KLAX or KATL?  I suppose it is a mater of personal preference.  Either way, FeelThere has implied that the Pro version will have mutiplayer, and so your will likely get you wish eventually.