The simFlight Network Forums

Steering Set vs Steering Tiller?

Hello Pete, FSL A320 requires that steering set be used in lieu of the steering tiller. My question is, I assign steering set as FS Normal Axis because it is not in the list for Direct FSUIPC Calibration.

I would like to calibrate steering set in fsuipc as another user did, but my IN and OUT values dont move when I move my axis, any idea why.

See this thread here for more detail.

http://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/topic/11288-steering-tiller-vs-steering-set/#comment-89459 

3 hours ago, AngeloCosma said:

My question is, I assign steering set as FS Normal Axis because it is not in the list for Direct FSUIPC Calibration.

Yes, "steering set" is an FS control, not an FSUIPC direct control, which uses the rudder still for direct compatibility across all versions of FS. Steering Set was new to FSX.

3 hours ago, AngeloCosma said:

I would like to calibrate steering set in fsuipc as another user did, but my IN and OUT values dont move when I move my axis, any idea why.

It works fine here, at least in P3D with FSUIPC 4.961. Are you sure your tiller input axis is working correctly? Do the numbers change in the assignment tab? Check with a default aircraft loaded in case something is preventing it.

(I see Thomas already got in and asked the last question).

Pete

11 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Yes, "steering set" is an FS control, not an FSUIPC direct control, which uses the rudder still for direct compatibility across all versions of FS. Steering Set was new to FSX.

It works fine here, at least in P3D with FSUIPC 4.961. Are you sure your tiller input axis is working correctly? Do the numbers change in the assignment tab? Check with a default aircraft loaded in case something is preventing it.

(I see Thomas already got in and asked the last question).

Pete

I should of clarified, the IN OUT is moving in Axis Assignment, but in Joystick Calibration the calibration values don't move as I want to create a wide dead zone at neutral. 

That did the trick thank you! Can you think of any reason why the sim or fsuipc may be interpreting the signal from the joystick rather slowly?

Example I will move the joystick hard to the left stop, however the values will keep changing for almost a second or two before matching up with my physical hardware? Almost like a bit of lag, yes I have it calibrated in Windows, and the Slope is zero.  

27 minutes ago, AngeloCosma said:

Example I will move the joystick hard to the left stop, however the values will keep changing for almost a second or two before matching up with my physical hardware? Almost like a bit of lag,

Steering Set, unlike my built-in tiller, is only an FS control. For every change more than the Delta (as shown on the FSUIPC axis assignments tab) it has to send a message to FS's window. That message goes through to the simulation system and, if you calibrated in FSUIPC, gets trapped by FSUIPC for calibration. Then the calibrated value gets sent on.

The delay will be due to the large queue of messages awaiting attention, along with all of the others (and if you are using an add-on like PMDG planes, there are a lot!).

Check that your Delta has not been set low. 256 is the normal default -- don't set it less than that. 512 would give half the messages and still give enough resolution. The full range is something like 32768, so 512 still gives it 64 distinct positions.

The FSUIPC tiller would be more efficient.

Pete

4 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Steering Set, unlike my built-in tiller, is only an FS control. For every change more than the Delta (as shown on the FSUIPC axis assignments tab) it has to send a message to FS's window. That message goes through to the simulation system and, if you calibrated in FSUIPC, gets trapped by FSUIPC for calibration. Then the calibrated value gets sent on.

The delay will be due to the large queue of messages awaiting attention, along with all of the others (and if you are using an add-on like PMDG planes, there are a lot!).

Check that your Delta has not been set low. 256 is the normal default -- don't set it less than that. 512 would give half the messages and still give enough resolution. The full range is something like 32768, so 512 still gives it 64 distinct positions.

The FSUIPC tiller would be more efficient.

Pete

Yes I agree but for some reason the FS Labs 320 provides specific instruction to NOT use the FSUIPC Tiller and to use Steering Set. I know I much prefer the tiller also, but I think the devs stance on it (Rudder not moving whilst turning) and the fact that the aircraft barely turns at all is why I have no choice but to use steering set.  

2 minutes ago, AngeloCosma said:

Yes I agree but for some reason the FS Labs 320 provides specific instruction to NOT use the FSUIPC Tiller and to use Steering Set. I know I much prefer the tiller also, but I think the devs stance on it (Rudder not moving whilst turning) and the fact that the aircraft barely turns at all is why I have no choice but to use steering set.  

Well try increasing the Delta. You can do that in Axis Assifgnments, or easier by changing the 256 (or whatever) in the assignment in the INI file. You can change it whilst FS is running, then just go to the axis assignments tab and click the reload button.

Pete