The simFlight Network Forums

P3Dv4.5 Lua Script Display Question

Hi Pete or John,

I am using Win10, P3Dv4.5, and FSUIPC5.15

A lot of my Lua scripts display values either on the 'green bar' display, or in a simconnect window.  For a particular Lua script, I am trying to find a way so that the value it displays remains displayed and is not overwritten by the displays of my other Lua scripts. In FSX there was the 'setowndisplay' option, but unless something has recently changed my understanding is this does not work in FSUIPC5 because there is only one simconnect display window shared by all scripts.  Is this still the case or is there a way to prevent a value displayed from one particular Lua script from being overwritten by the displays of other Lua scripts?

Thx,

Al

13 hours ago, ark1320 said:

there is only one simconnect display window shared by all scripts.  Is this still the case or is there a way to prevent a value displayed from one particular Lua script from being overwritten by the displays of other Lua scripts?

Sorry, yes it is still the case that there's no 'protected' own display.

There is really no way with the single line display to prevent it being overwritten by others.  However, much less use is made of the multi-line display facility (which is a different window facility in SimConnect).   This is used if you include more than one line (or just a "\n" (new line) code maybe followed by a space).

The only other way would be to keep re-displaying your text, regularly (e.g by a function called by an event.timer function).

Pete

Ok, understand. My scripts do make good use of both the single line and multi-line display facilities.

As an aside, although there is almost  no meaningful information available yet, I fully expect the ability to write scripts will be just as important in the new MSFS sim as it is in P3D. So I'm really hopeful that in about a year or so from now I will be able to go on line and BUY the new FSUIPC6 for MSFS at SimMarket!!

Best,

Al