The simFlight Network Forums

Auto-Throttle not stable at turbulent flight conditions

antoniointini

Hi there,

I would like to report an issue that I observed in the 3 flights I've flown with v3 E195:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JOf71snqqka-ejTAyqLv3hMOmjqNUVGq/view?usp=sharing

(watch the video at full HD 1080p)

In this video, the speed is set to 180 kt, with AT on, and aircraft leveled at 4000 ft. Nonetheless, the aircraft does not deaccelerate (remains above 190 kt). You can observe N1 completely unstable.

This issue is causing a lot of trouble when I'm at approaches. The only way to avoid this is to disarm the AT and fly manually. 

I did not checked other aircrafts. I don't fly the E175, and I don't own the E170 and E190.

I'm using Active Sky as my weather engine. The flight was close to DAAG (around 12z-13z, today), so you may be able to recover this weather history from Active Sky if you want (but, apparently, any turbulence is enough to reproduce it).

Best regards

Hi

Not sure about what you mean with "slower". Can you confirm with the pilots if the AT problem that is observed in the video above is observed in the real aircraft? Even if that is, I would be surprised if that would be a common issue in E-Jets. Basically all flights I flown with v3 presented this behavior. It really sounds like a bug.

Best regards

3 hours ago, antoniointini said:

Hi

Not sure about what you mean with "slower". Can you confirm with the pilots if the AT problem that is observed in the video above is observed in the real aircraft? Even if that is, I would be surprised if that would be a common issue in E-Jets. Basically all flights I flown with v3 presented this behavior. It really sounds like a bug.

Best regards

I think what he is saying is that the AT reacts to wind changes slowly so pilots tend to compensate by overriding it.

• Upvote 1

Two things here - firstly, as mentioned above, the real autothrottle is slower so does not respond instantaneously and spends time 'hunting'. Secondly, MSFS / P3D weather is truly abysmal with blocks of sudden wind changes that give the sim autothrottle no chance and (along with the entire weather system) are far too abrupt in their depiction. The autothrottle is just trying to maintain the speed, and within the sim you are seeing those two effects above rather obviously as the 'required' throttle setting shows and then the actual setting chases it.

Paul.

8 hours ago, FeelThere said:

What I meant is according to our pilots, they disconnect the AT during turbulence. The real thing is even slower acting than ours (in fact we are testing a slower AT for the upcoming Sp)

I look forward to a slower AT as I think the current one jumps about too much too fast.

9 hours ago, Delta558 said:

Two things here - firstly, as mentioned above, the real autothrottle is slower so does not respond instantaneously and spends time 'hunting'. Secondly, MSFS / P3D weather is truly abysmal with blocks of sudden wind changes that give the sim autothrottle no chance and (along with the entire weather system) are far too abrupt in their depiction. The autothrottle is just trying to maintain the speed, and within the sim you are seeing those two effects above rather obviously as the 'required' throttle setting shows and then the actual setting chases it.

Paul.

I believe your second thought shouldn't be of a major importance. I have tenths of other aircrafts with AT, and none of them display this behavior under turbulence. As per the answer from Feelthere above, I understand that it was deliberately modeled like that, and that this is a situation observed in the real aircraft.

As someone who flies the actual aircraft, the autothrottle needs work on this aircraft. I have never disconnected the autothrottle in the aircraft for the above purpose...but we do override it. We need to help it sometimes when you change to a lower speed and it has trouble maintaining it (usually not more than 5-10 knots off). It seems like in this aircraft, the autothrottle likes to respond to the input way too early.

2 hours ago, KCpilot15 said:

As someone who flies the actual aircraft, the autothrottle needs work on this aircraft. I have never disconnected the autothrottle in the aircraft for the above purpose...but we do override it. We need to help it sometimes when you change to a lower speed and it has trouble maintaining it (usually not more than 5-10 knots off). It seems like in this aircraft, the autothrottle likes to respond to the input way too early.

With all due respect we have a couple of pilots who are also flying this airplane. We will reduce the speed of the AT, but they confirmed real pilots do disconnect the AT in turbulent conditions.

22 hours ago, FeelThere said:

With all due respect we have a couple of pilots who are also flying this airplane. We will reduce the speed of the AT, but they confirmed real pilots do disconnect the AT in turbulent conditions.

I would double check with these pilots regarding the severity of the turbulence upon which they disconnect the AT. I observe the problem even at minor turbulence (like in the video). I think for severe turbulence it could make sense, but the aircraft appears to be oversensitive. Like I mentioned above, I have tenths of aircrafts, and the E-Jets v3 are the only ones which do that. Even v2 (in FSX at least) don't have this issue. 

2 hours ago, antoniointini said:

I would double check with these pilots regarding the severity of the turbulence upon which they disconnect the AT. I observe the problem even at minor turbulence (like in the video). I think for severe turbulence it could make sense, but the aircraft appears to be oversensitive. Like I mentioned above, I have tenths of aircrafts, and the E-Jets v3 are the only ones which do that. Even v2 (in FSX at least) don't have this issue. 

Show off 🙂

1 hour ago, antoniointini said:

Sorry, it was not my intention 😂😂😂

15 years simulating, it is not a really impressive figure... 

HaHa only joking I've been doing simming for 17 years too.

1 hour ago, scoobflight said:

Only 15 ... My first FS was for a Mac in 1986.

MAC? did it trim well? haha its soo late