The simFlight Network Forums

Thrustmaster Throttles Not Recognized... Please Help.

Hello,

After replacing a faulty USB Hub (to which all my FS devices were plugged into) I now have a problem getting FSUIPC to recognize my Throttles. (Windows & Chaseplane see it just fine) I was hoping you could take a look and point me in the right direction to a fix.

I've attached the ini file, log, and csv that I'm currently using. I've also attached my old ini file from about two years ago. My untrained eye sees what I think may be part of the problem in my current ini but I cant figure out how to fix it...

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=Yes
0=Joystick - HOTAS Warthog
0.GUID={6F3BE990-5696-11E7-8001-444553540000}
2=Mad Catz Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
2.GUID={882C2890-5906-11E6-8005-444553540000}
3=Razer Tartarus V2
3.GUID={50E9F090-52E4-11E8-8001-444553540000}
4=Joystick - HOTAS Warthog
4.GUID={50F980F0-52E4-11E8-8005-444553540000}
6=Wireless Controller
6.GUID={F2B66560-1B43-11EA-8002-444553540000}
A=Joystick - HOTAS Warthog
A.GUID={6F3BE990-5696-11E7-8001-444553540000}
B=Mad Catz Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
B.GUID={882C2890-5906-11E6-8005-444553540000}
C=Razer Tartarus V2
C.GUID={50E9F090-52E4-11E8-8001-444553540000}
D=Joystick - HOTAS Warthog
D.GUID={50F980F0-52E4-11E8-8005-444553540000}
E=Wireless Controller
E.GUID={F2B66560-1B43-11EA-8002-444553540000}

Device D is listed as  Joystick - HOTAS Warthog with a GUID that matches Razer Tartarus V2. I think D should actually be my throttles. (Throttle - HOTAS Warthog, 4.GUID={7C5DBA90-5696-11E7-8002-444553540000} as pulled from my old ini file)

I would also like to say, I WASN'T using letters until today. When the problem occurred, I did a little reading and changed AutoAssignLetters from No to Yes in hopes of avoiding these problems in the future, but I realize I still need to fix today's problem.

I'm heading to work soon, so I won't be able to troubleshoot from my PC for some time, but I'll check throughout the day to answer whatever I can. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Emerson

FSUIPC5.ini.off FSUIPC5.JoyScan.csv FSUIPC5.ini FSUIPC5.log

Hi Emerson,

there are no assignments in your ini, so I guess all your assignments are done through Linda, no? 

Your problem looks to be caused by duplicated registry entries. Could you add the following to the [General] section of your FSUIPC5.INI file, generate another log and post that:

Debug=Please
LogExtras=x200000

Thanks,

John

7 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Hi Emerson,

there are no assignments in your ini, so I guess all your assignments are done through Linda, no? 

Your problem looks to be caused by duplicated registry entries. Could you add the following to the [General] section of your FSUIPC5.INI file, generate another log and post that:

Debug=Please
LogExtras=x200000

Thanks,

John

I had several buttons mapped, but when I moved from the faulty hub to the new one, I lost them (before I knew about assigning device letters). Once I get my throttles issue worked out, I plan to remap all my buttons. I’ve stepped out to run a quick errand for a moment. I’ll try this in an hour or so when I get home.

Thank you!

Emerson

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

Hi Emerson,

Debug=Please
LogExtras=x200000

Thanks,

John

As requested...

FSUIPC5.log

John asked me to look, but he also pointed out that you are not assigning anything in FSUIPC.

So, my question is, where and how are you assigning? Also if you are not assigning in FSUIPC how are you detecting that FSUIPC is not seeing your throttles? where are you looking to decide this?

Pete

53 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

John asked me to look, but he also pointed out that you are not assigning anything in FSUIPC.

So, my question is, where and how are you assigning? Also if you are not assigning in FSUIPC how are you detecting that FSUIPC is not seeing your throttles? where are you looking to decide this?

Pete

I was trying to rebuild my assignments when I noticed this. (Because of my NOT using device letters earlier, I had to stay from scratch. I know better now)

When I open the Axis Assignment tab or the Buttons + Switches tab in FSUIPC I can see that axis and button inputs are register from my joystick, but inputs from my throttle are not recognized. That lead me to open my ini file and see that my throttles are not listed but my joystick is listed twice, once though is with the Razer Tartarus V2’s GUID.

43 minutes ago, emersonbattle said:

When I open the axis tab or the button assignment tab (names may not be exact… I’m replying from a mobile device) in FSUIPC I can see that axis and button inputs are register from my joystick, but inputs from my throttle are not recognized. That lead me to open my ini file and see that my throttles are not listed but my joystick is listed twice, once though is with the Razer keybad’s GUID.

Ah, so you ARE trying to assign in FSUIPC, but FSUIPC doesn't see the Throttles?

Right ...

Is the throttle the "HOTAS Warthog"?  If so ...

A check in the logging shows the Hotas Warthog showing up in two places, with two different GUIDs one of which is the one FSUIPC has used Here's the being used, but note these lines:

203        NB: not valid for this device according to GetConfig!
      203    1st registry entry has Joystick ID=0
      203    WARNING: Joystick ID 0 is duplicated in Registry

Maybe that's a clue to some sort of Registry corruption.

203 ****** Registry scanning: VID=044F, PID=0402 ******
      203 Trying: "HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_044F&PID_0402\Calibration\0"
      203    ... and a "GUID" value
      203    GUID= {6F3BE990-5696-11E7-8001-444553540000}
      203    1st registry entry has Joystick ID=0
      203    WARNING: Joystick ID 0 is duplicated in Registry
      203    Attempting to acquire this device for checking ...
      203    Acquired device, GetDeviceState to check values
      203    ... Okay so far
      203    Finding name in "HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_044F&PID_0402"
      203    Joy Name = "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog"

the other entry for the same device is:

203 ****** Registry scanning: VID=044F, PID=0404 ******
      203 Trying: "HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_044F&PID_0404\Calibration\0"
      203    GUID= {7C5DBA90-5696-11E7-8002-444553540000}
      203    1st registry entry has Joystick ID=1
      203    Attempting to acquire this device for checking ...
      203    Acquired device, GetDeviceState to check values
      203    ... Okay so far
      203    Finding name in "HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_044F&PID_0404"
      203    Joy Name = "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog"

and that gives no errors and is probably the correct device.

How this can happen I don't know.  The PID (Product ID) is one case is 0404 whilst in the second it is 0402. Two different devices .. ???

Anyway, take a simple step first before I consider something more drastic. Delete the entire contents of the [JoyNames] section in the INI file -- excepting the AutoAssignLetters=Yes line, as with so many devices it is best to have that enabled unless you want to choose letters manually (before making assignments).

If you had assignments already which you didn't wish to lose I'd instead suggest manually editing the GUID in the INI, but the safest way for you is to just delete them all. If that works, well and good. If not please show the newly generated JoyNames section (just paste that section into your message).

Pete

20 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Delete the entire contents of the [JoyNames] section in the INI file -- excepting the AutoAssignLetters=Yes line, as with so many devices it is best to have that enabled unless you want to choose letters manually (before making assignments).

Pete

No joy. Still the same result. : - (

What are the drastic steps you had in mind?? I'm willing to dig into regedit if you can talk me through it.

2 minutes ago, emersonbattle said:

No joy. Still the same result. : - (

Can you paste the new JoyNames section here please?

3 minutes ago, emersonbattle said:

What are the drastic steps you had in mind?? I'm willing to dig into regedit if you can talk me through it.

Let me see the resulting Joynames first -- or is it completely identical?

Pete

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=Yes
2=Mad Catz Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
2.GUID={882C2890-5906-11E6-8005-444553540000}
3=Razer Tartarus V2
6=Wireless Controller
6.GUID={F2B66560-1B43-11EA-8002-444553540000}
A=Joystick - HOTAS Warthog
A.GUID={6F3BE990-5696-11E7-8001-444553540000}
B=Mad Catz Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
B.GUID={882C2890-5906-11E6-8005-444553540000}
C=Razer Tartarus V2
C.GUID={50E9F090-52E4-11E8-8001-444553540000}
D=Joystick - HOTAS Warthog <--------- I suspect this to be a part of the problem
D.GUID={50F980F0-52E4-11E8-8005-444553540000}
E=Wireless Controller
E.GUID={F2B66560-1B43-11EA-8002-444553540000}

Okay. I think that FSUIPC is choosing the later entry in the Registry over the first. Not sure why -- it theoretically should actually choose both.  However, the Scan CSV record you posted orinially is very confusing. For the Warthog nothing makes sense.

So I now do think something has screwed up its registry entries. I'll work out what to edit and get back to you.

Pete

Just now, Pete Dowson said:

Okay. I think that FSUIPC is choosing the later entry in the Registry over the first. Not sure why -- it theoretically should actually choose both.  However, the Scan CSV record you posted orinially is very confusing. For the Warthog nothing makes sense.

So I now do think something has screwed up its registry entries. I'll work out what to edit and get back to you.

Pete

Thanks! I'll be standing by. In the meantime, can I move forward with adding button and axis assignments to my joystick, or is that a waste of time? Is the work I do between now and your reply likely to be overwritten with the fix?

I'm quoting this from John's reply in the thread just below this one, but I've edited the REG file for your Warhog entries, both sets:

1. Find the device in the Control Panel – System – Device Manager, right click and uninstall, including driver if option presented.

2. Unplug the device.

3. Create and Execute a .reg file containing the text highlighted below, then run this “as administrator”:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_044F&PID_0404]

[-HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_044F&PID_0404]

4. Power off.
5. Re-connect the device
6. Re-boot and test again.

Pete

7 minutes ago, emersonbattle said:

In the meantime, can I move forward with adding button and axis assignments to my joystick, or is that a waste of time? Is the work I do between now and your reply likely to be overwritten with the fix?

The deletions in the Registry (see edited copy) should only affect the Throttle.

Pete

19 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

I'm quoting this from John's reply in the thread just below this one, but I've edited the REG file for your Warhog entries, both sets:

1. Find the device in the Control Panel – System – Device Manager, right click and uninstall, including driver if option presented.

2. Unplug the device.

3. Create and Execute a .reg file containing the text highlighted below, then run this “as administrator”:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_044F&PID_0402]

[-HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_044F&PID_0402]

4. Power off.
5. Re-connect the device
6. Re-boot and test again.

Pete

Stuck on step 1... Can you help me find an adress or some sort of unique identifier for my Warthog devices please? Windows is listing everything in very generic terms. I need to figure out which ones to uninstall from the lengthy list. View photo to see what I mean. I know I should be removing 2 HID-compliant game controllers and two USB input devices. I just don't know which ones.

Device Manager.jpg

3 minutes ago, emersonbattle said:

Stuck on step 1... Can you help me find an adress or some sort of unique identifier for my Warthog devices please? Windows is listing everything in very generic terms.

Yuck! Thrustmaster entries don't show as such? That's very bad. I see that the others declare themselves okay: Loogitech, Mad Catz and Razer.

The screw up is worse that I thought. If the entries are there, and it looks not, you'd need to open each and see what it says. Or just assume that Windows hasn't recognised either Throttle or joystick ...? but that doesn't seem right.

If you can't locate it there, just carry on. But it's worrying.

Do you have any Thrustmaster software installed? If so you should probably uninstall that (windows Control Panel Programs and Features.

BTW please read my instructions again -- I changed the REG file. I realised i was removing the Throttle too.

Be away from PC for a while -- dinner time!

Pete

1 minute ago, Pete Dowson said:

Yuck! Thrustmaster entries don't show as such? That's very bad. I see that the others declare themselves okay: Loogitech, Mad Catz and Razer.

The screw up is worse that I thought. If the entries are there, and it looks not, you'd need to open each and see what it says. Or just assume that Windows hasn't recognised either Throttle or joystick ...? but that doesn't seem right.

If you can't locate it there, just carry on. But it's worrying.

Do you have any Thrustmaster software installed? If so you should probably uninstall that (windows Control Panel Programs and Features.

BTW please read my instructions again -- I changed the REG file. I realised i was removing the Throttle too.

Be away from PC for a while -- dinner time!

Pete

I know windows recognizes the devices. some of the buttons on my throttle are used used to manipulate Chaseplane and that works with no problem. I am not above just removing all input devices and starting over from scratch if you (a) think that would solve the problem and (b) can talk me through at least enough of it to not break anything else. I found some Thrustmaster drivers. I'm removing them now.

Enjoy your meal!

35 minutes ago, emersonbattle said:

I am not above just removing all input devices and starting over from scratch if you (a) think that would solve the problem and (b) can talk me through at least enough of it to not break anything else. I found some Thrustmaster drivers. I'm removing them now.

Okay, but no need to remove everythiing.

Please accept a delay now, maybe for a few hours. I have to flake out at my age. evening rest time ...

Pete

12 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Okay, but no need to remove everythiing.

Please accept a delay now, maybe for a few hours. I have to flake out at my age. evening rest time ...

Pete

No worries! I actually need to get going too. I'll be back later tonight but it'll be early morning in Europe. I have good news and bad news though.

Good: In the Device Manager window I was eventually able to distinguish between devices plugged directly into the computer, linked via bluetooth and those running through USB hub. From there I just disconnected everything from the hub EXCEPT the throttles. Then I was able to locate the proper HID-compliant game controller and USB input device. I removed them and continued with the instructions as posted.

Bad: It didn't fix my problem and now I can't get my joystick to register inputs in FSUIPC either. While running the steps you called for earlier, I did realize that Thrustmaster updated their drivers, so when I re-installed the drivers they were a newer version but that was unavoidable. I don't have copies of the older drivers. I ddon't know that that was a contributing factor, I just thought I'd mention it to you.

I've also included the lastest FSUIPC.ini file as well as the latest log file. I'm not sure where to go from here but I really need to find a fix. Even if it means starting over/loosing data or settings. At this point P3D is almost unusable until I get this fixed. : - (

FSUIPC5.JoyScan.csv FSUIPC5.ini FSUIPC5.log

3 hours ago, emersonbattle said:

Bad: It didn't fix my problem and now I can't get my joystick to register inputs in FSUIPC either. While running the steps you called for earlier, I did realize that Thrustmaster updated their drivers, so when I re-installed the drivers they were a newer version but that was unavoidable. I don't have copies of the older drivers. I ddon't know that that was a contributing factor, I just thought I'd mention it to you.

We don't really need or want their drivers. I'm pretty sure that they are standard UDB HID joystick type devices and standard Windows drivers should work fine and without problems.

I've also included the lastest FSUIPC.ini file as well as the latest log file.

But, see:

3=Joystick - HOTAS Warthog

The Joystick is still detected and listed okay, so its disappearance makes no sense. Though previously it was actually listed twice 9I never noticed that before as I was only really looking at Throttle):

So that was wrong then.  The first of those two was bad in any case:

187 ****** Registry scanning: VID=044F, PID=0402 ******
      203 Trying: "HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_044F&PID_0402\Calibration\0"
      203    GUID= {6F3BE990-5696-11E7-8001-444553540000}

Anyway, on the Throttle problem,  if you followed the instructions you've actually made no changes which would delete anything to do with the Joystick device, only the Throttle unit. So the only change which could affect the joystick is that "driver".

If re-installing Thrustmaster devices doesn't get them working correctly, if their own driver updates (which could happen any time anyway and, in fact, is designed to happen, else why do they bother?) stops other of their devices working properly, i can only suggest using Thrustmaster support.

FSUIPC uss standard DirectInput, nothing more nothing less. I am sure there must be many Thrustmaster users who don't have these problems.

I'm afraid i have no more ideas about how to fix your problems. there's something very very odd going on.

At this point P3D is almost unusable until I get this fixed.

You cannot assign there either? Then it is truly unmistakebly a Thrustmaster problem. 😞. Could their new "driver" be inompatible with your version of Windows? something to ask them, though if that were the case it shouldn't have installed.

Pete