The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC v5.155 keyboard commands cease functioning

Hello Pete and Thomas, 

I am unsure, but I recently updated my FSUIPC copy to the latest listed in the title. I am now noticing certain keyboard commands are no longer working in sim. I cannot zoom via +/-, “B” for altimeter doesn’t work, “Y” for slew does not work, and Alt+Enter does not work is what I have noticed so far. Even the GSX menu via Ctrl+Shift+F12 isn’t functioning, I have to open the menu via the menu bar drop down. I am able to control zoom and slew from a 3rd party instructor platform so I know it still functions in the sim. All my keyboard keys do work as I checked in notepad. 

I googled around and it seems another user is experiencing the same issue. He fixed it by removing this version and going back down to prior build. Can you comment on this? I am sticking with 5.155 for now and am happy to test anything if need be.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/553617-keyboard-commands-not-working/

EDIT: I can verify if I remove the FSUIPC.dll my key commands return to normal and all functionality is restored. I will await your reply. This is P3D v4.5.

Hi Angelo,

I've just checked this with 5.155 and P3D key commands  seem to be working as expected...

5 hours ago, AngeloCosma said:

That is an old post from April 2019 and references FSUIPC 5.151. Not sure what the issue was there, but its certainly not relevant any more.

You could try activating logging for Buttons and key operations and  Events (non axis controls) to see what FSUIPC is receiving/sending.

Cheers,

John

13 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Hi Angelo,

I've just checked this with 5.155 and P3D key commands  seem to be working as expected...

That is an old post from April 2019 and references FSUIPC 5.151. Not sure what the issue was there, but its certainly not relevant any more.

You could try activating logging for Buttons and key operations and  Events (non axis controls) to see what FSUIPC is receiving/sending.

Cheers,

John

Here is the log as requested. During the sim session, I pressed "B" no result, "Y" no result, "Ctrl+Shift+F12" no result, "Alt+Enter" no result, and finally "Ctrl+C," even that did not work. 

FirstFSUIPC5.log

Hi Angelo,

Pete just pointed out to me that you are running a lua plugin:

103562 LUA.0: beginning "C:\Games\Prepar3D v4\Modules\ipcReady.lua"
   103562 LUA Asks: "Laap first start - Actual language is French - Do you want the English version ? (Y/N)"

This is waiting for a response from an ipc.ask request which looks like its blocking keyboard input. Try renaming that lua script to see if that solves your issue.

John

4 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Your keypresses are not being recognised for some reason, but I don't think this is an issue with FSUIPC, and certainly nothing in the latest build. If you remove the FSUIPC5.dll (just rename it temporarily), does P3D see your keypresses?

John

Yes, If I remove the FSUIPC.dll from the modules folder, my key presses return to normal. The moment I re-add it, the problem surfaces. 

4 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Hi Angelo,

Pete just pointed out to me that you are running a lua plugin:

103562 LUA.0: beginning "C:\Games\Prepar3D v4\Modules\ipcReady.lua"
   103562 LUA Asks: "Laap first start - Actual language is French - Do you want the English version ? (Y/N)"

This is waiting for a response from an ipc.ask request which looks like its blocking keyboard input. Try renaming that lua script to see if that solves your issue.

John

I will look into this. 

1 hour ago, AngeloCosma said:

Well thank you very much John, turns out that that ipc.ask was the culprit. What was odd, was that there was nothing onscreen anywhere prompting user input. Quite frustrating, I have since removed that.

Have you perhaps suppressed such displays in the P3D options?  I think it's the last option on the right in the General options in P3D -- to suppress information text. This option is intended for use when the user (like me) has a cockpit and uses WideFS or similar to divert on-screen messages and menus to a screen on a client PC inside the cockpit.

If that option is enabled you'd never see the question which you needed to answer.

John, going forward, perhaps there should be some sort of timeout placed on responses to the ipc.ask waiting period? This is the first time i've heard of such an incident, but you never know.  The mouse macro making facility uses the same mechanism. You can escape from that with ESC or ENTER, and i think you can from ipc.ask, but folks might not think of such obvius keypresses to try.

Pete

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

This is the first time i've heard of such an incident

This has happened before! 

I could add an (optional) timeout parameter, but the script developers must then use this and provide a default for the question to continue.

Could it be that he is not seeing the question as this script is being started in the ipcReady.lua? Maybe if the script is initially assigned to a button or key press, you could activate the script once P3D is up and fully running to set the language. Once done, you could remove the assignment and add back to the ipcReady.lua? Just a thought...

John

39 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Could it be that he is not seeing the question as this script is being started in the ipcReady.lua?

No. ipcready is only run when the system is ready for flight. so message displays should be visible -- if permitted. i think he must have disabled messages, as I do (because i redirect them to a display in my cockpit).

The problem is, because ipc.ask can accept any answer type, word, name, or number, or whatever, it can't be displayed as a Simconnect menu (which would still be displayed as those are not suppressed bt the P3D option). Menus only accept 0-9 in answer.

Pete

In the P3D display red text information,  my only selections were SLEW and BRAKES. All other check boxes were un-ticked. I removed the dll it was too much hassle. The idea was good, it looks at what frequency is set in your COMM1 and tunes LiveATC.net to that freq and enables real world atc audio which I thought was neat. But not for this  amount of effort. Thanks again for the help. I can also confirm that no text message was displayed, although I am not sure if it was suppressed due to my config mentioned above.

20 hours ago, AngeloCosma said:

In the P3D display red text information,  my only selections were SLEW and BRAKES. All other check boxes were un-ticked.

Look in the bottom right section of the "Information" options, the section entitled "Miscellaneous Text". The entry called "Information Text" should be enabled or messages from many add-on programs (not just FSUIPC's plug-in facility) won't be seen.

It's really only desirable to turn that off if you are redirecting them to another display, possible via WideFS.

20 hours ago, AngeloCosma said:

But not for this  amount of effort.

I don't understand how you would expend much effort re-enabling an option in P3D (which is actually on by default). You must have expended effort turning it off!

Pete

23 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Look in the bottom right section of the "Information" options, the section entitled "Miscellaneous Text". The entry called "Information Text" should be enabled or messages from many add-on programs (not just FSUIPC's plug-in facility) won't be seen.

It's really only desirable to turn that off if you are redirecting them to another display, possible via WideFS.

I don't understand how you would expend much effort re-enabling an option in P3D (which is actually on by default). You must have expended effort turning it off!

Pete

Thank you for that, yup it was unticked! I didn't even think twice about it, I will reinstall the dll and test. Thank you.