The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC6 Will Not Recognize/Assign Axis (Resolved)

I am unable to get FSUIPC6 to recognize the axis movement of my yoke and pedals.  When I open FSUIPC6 and go to the Axis Assignment tab, the values flicker between 16383 and 0 (which could mean nothing, but I'm including as I have not seen this behavior before).  FSUIPC6 does not respond to movement for the yoke or pedals.  I can assign a button from the yoke to FSUIPC6.  I have uninstalled FSUIPC6 and reinstalled.  I have swapped out the cables and don't see issues w/ the USB ports when I check out the Device Manager.  Windows does see the devices and the axis movement as well (which I believe tells me the connection to the computer is OK).  

image.png.705a7d054e830c463990d72ee7847426.png

I have attached the install log and the Joyscan.csv in case that helps.  

Thank you.

Chuck

image.png

FSUIPC6.JoyScan.csv InstallFSUIPC6.log

Hi,

Windows does see the devices and the axis movement as well (which I believe tells me the connection to the computer is OK).  

did you calibrate the axis in Windows correct, not just seen? Without calibration in Windows first it will not work correct.

Did you start connection the axes to use from the first port of the device on, non unused ports in-between?

Thomas

Peter - logs attached.

3 hours ago, Thomas Richter said:

Hi,

did you calibrate the axis in Windows correct, not just seen? Without calibration in Windows first it will not work correct.

Did you start connection the axes to use from the first port of the device on, non unused ports in-between?

Thomas

I calibrated in Windows and now FSUIPC6 can see the assignment.  But every time I close out of P3D and/or restart my computer FSUIPC6 loses the ability to see the yoke (for example).  This may speak to an issue w/ my system and/or Windows - but I am not a computer expert.  One note, I have used many versions of FSUIPC prior w/o this issue.  I'm fine w/ calibrating in Windows each time it is needed as it's a simple process, my concern is if the FSUIPC6 assignment disconnects during a flight and I lose access to the yoke.  To know for sure I will have to take it out for a spin :).

What do you mean by 'ports'.  I will search the forum or if you could expand it would be appreciated.  If it's relevant I attached the joyscan log in my first post.

Thank you all!

Chuck 

"Edit"  - I may be overthinking this - by 'port' do you mean a USB port?  If so I'm still a bit confused on your comment.  Thanks again.

FSUIPC6.ini FSUIPC6.log

2 hours ago, kwompus21 said:

I have used many versions of FSUIPC prior w/o this issue. 

There's been no change in the assignments system and the way they are saved for a several years - certainly before FSUIPC5 was released for P3D4. ! How old was the FSUIPC you used previous to FSUIPC6?

2 hours ago, kwompus21 said:

my concern is if the FSUIPC6 assignment disconnects during a flight and I lose access to the yoke. 

The only way that is ever possible is if the actual USB connection fails. Assuming the hardware and wiring are okay, it might be to do with Windows power management. Make sure in Windows Device Manager that it is turned off on all USB entries where it appears in the Properties dialogue.

The FSUIPC6 files you've provided clearly shows that your three devices are recognised, and assigned IDs (0, 1 and 2), but you have absolutely no assignments, so FSUIPC isn't at all involved in using any of them!

Make some assignments first. There's no point in worrying about the numbers until you do.

If you had assignments in a previous install of FSUIPC why not copy in your previous FSUIPC INI file and rename it as FSUIPC6.INI, as suggested in the Installation guide?

Pete

42 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

There's been no change in the assignments system and the way they are saved for a several years - certainly before FSUIPC5 was released for P3D4. ! How old was the FSUIPC you used previous to FSUIPC6?

I used FSUIPC5 for P3D4.5.

The only way that is ever possible is if the actual USB connection fails. Assuming the hardware and wiring are okay, it might be to do with Windows power management. Make sure in Windows Device Manager that it is turned off on all USB entries where it appears in the Properties dialogue.

Will do - thank you.

The FSUIPC6 files you've provided clearly shows that your three devices are recognised, and assigned IDs (0, 1 and 2), but you have absolutely no assignments, so FSUIPC isn't at all involved in using any of them!

Make some assignments first. There's no point in worrying about the numbers until you do.

I agree that the numbers don't matter until the assignment is made - I handle that in the Joystick Calibration tab.   The way in which I have assigned (for example) the yoke is to move the yoke while on the Axis Assignment tab (the values move accordingly) so FSUIPC knows what I'm trying to assign then tick 'direct to FSUIPC' and assign the yoke to (in this case) the elevator - then I go back and do the same for the ailerons. My issue is when I move the yoke the values do not change - as if it isn't seeing the yoke move.

Per your suggestion, I tried as follows:  I opened FSUIPC6 - I ticked 'direct to FSUIPC' and assigned to the elevator.  The yoke movement was not recognized (when I push the yoke back and forth the values did not change - they remain static).  I closed FSUIPC and reopened.  This time the the yoke axis movement was recognized by FSUIPC (values do change) but the elevator assignment was not there. I assigned the elevator - closed and reopened and the same elevator assignment was there.

In the end, between the other suggestion of calibrating in Windows (which I would need to do each time) and/or if this is a potential fix as long as it stays consistent during flight I'm ok.

If you had assignments in a previous install of FSUIPC why not copy in your previous FSUIPC INI file and rename it as FSUIPC6.INI, as suggested in the Installation guide?

Great point - but I cleaned up my drives when I installed P3DV5.

Thank you very much for your time!

Chuck

32 minutes ago, kwompus21 said:

I agree that the numbers don't matter until the assignment is made - I handle that in the Joystick Calibration tab.   The way in which I have assigned (for example) the yoke is to move the yoke while on the Axis Assignment tab (the values move accordingly) so FSUIPC knows what I'm trying to assign then tick 'direct to FSUIPC' and assign the yoke to (in this case) the elevator - then I go back and do the same for the ailerons. My issue is when I move the yoke the values do not change - as if it isn't seeing the yoke move.

But your initial post showed that the Assignments tab HAD recognised Joystick 0, Axis Z. So you could assign to it. As I said, worry about the numbers afterwards. Obviously the numbers must have changed somehow or FSUIPC wouldn't have picked that axis to show.

And now you say you assigned to the elevator then went back and assigned the ailerons, yet that isn't recoded. Did you perhaps press ESCapre or cancel instead ofg OK?

The problem is that we cannot help solve any problems about what values are being received from an axis without actually seeing them logged, and that cannot happen until you assign them to something.

32 minutes ago, kwompus21 said:

I cleaned up my drives when I installed P3DV5.

With no backups at all?  Wow! What a risk!

Anyway, something has evidently gone badly wrong with that, because there is no change in any of this between your installation of FSUIPC5 for P3D4 and FSUIPC6 for P3D5. You would have been far better off installing P3D5 in parallel with P3D4, transferring things over, then, when happy with P3D5, cleaning up the remails of P3D4. This is what I am doing, and it is working out well. 

I repeat: FSUIPC5 and FSUIPC6 have not changed in any area to do with control recognition and assignment.

Please actually do some assignments, then show the results.  Remember that if you assign "direct to FSUIPC calibration" you do need to actully calibrate there. That will be the better test to see what is going on. Once calibrated, even with bad values, the logging will show at least some useful information. Really it would be better first to assign to the normal fS controls as then the calibration won't be necessary for the logging we need to see.

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Dowson said:

Obviously the numbers must have changed somehow or FSUIPC wouldn't have picked that axis to show.

In this example below - when I push the yoke forward and backwards the In/Out values do not change - they both stay at '0'.  I agree that it is showing an assignment (I probably used the wrong word in my depiction of what was going wrong) but trust me - they do not move up or down.  It sounds to me that is counter intuitive as they have been assigned, but that's what is happening. I can close FSUIPC and reopen and they do move and I can set up the functions.

image.png.1f685ddbc0bb1c8da42278401e4229c4.png

1 hour ago, Pete Dowson said:

With no backups at all?  Wow! What a risk!

Yep - not my best move, but that's what I did.

Thank you for your time.  At this point we can consider this issue closed.  Chuck

Hi,

What do you mean by 'ports'.  

It is in relation to the FDS-FC1 (same is true for Bodnar cards). It means those with cards you have to connect your potis starting on the first port and then with the second, but never leave one free in between to poti connections. If you do leave one free in between or start not to connect on the first port then the behaviour of the card in relation to see the axis correct is very unstable.

FDS-FC1の配線 | スカイクル-ザ-のブログ

Thomas

21 hours ago, Thomas Richter said:

Hi,

It is in relation to the FDS-FC1 (same is true for Bodnar cards). It means those with cards you have to connect your potis starting on the first port and then with the second, but never leave one free in between to poti connections. If you do leave one free in between or start not to connect on the first port then the behaviour of the card in relation to see the axis correct is very unstable.

First of all - thank you for taking the time to post the photo - it was very helpful.  It appears that the FDS-FC1 is causing the conflict.  When I disconnect FDS-FC1 my issue w/ FSUIPC goes away.  Per your suggestion I tested (see below) connecting to both Axis 1 (which is the X Axis) and then Axis 7 (which is the dial assignment and the recommended axis) - in both cases there is a conflict w/ FSUIPC.  Also, in both cases I re-calibrated in Windows prior to the test.

image.png.f46daa7b003372f888016dbd04689dfa.png

image.png.69d1284fd1cfb634b44abed1320e2dde.png

In going over my thread I note the the title is misleading.  I explained in my comments, but calling this an issue of not 'recognizing an axis' was misleading.  This issue must have more to do w/ a conflict as you note that prevents FSUIPC from seeing the movement of the addon or it is locking up.

I'm stumped- any thoughts would be appreciated.

Chuck

Got some help from my friends at Jetline Systems.  I had reinstalled V5 and reset Windows w/ no change.  We reinstalled FSUIPC and Jetline suggested running 'Delete Generated Files' in the root folder of P3D - that seems to have cleared everything up.  Back in action.

Thank you all.

Chuck