The simFlight Network Forums

What are Rotor Brake codes

Hello,

I'm reviving my flightsim hobby based on FSX (and later probably FS2020). My focus is on A320, and my goal is to build my own cockpit (multi-year project). I'm still in the study phase. Luckily, a huge amount of info can be found on Google. But for some "basic" questions, I seem not to find any answer.

I'm tempted to buy the FSLabs A320-X add-on (looks like the best affordeable realistic A320 simulation). Although, it seems hard to integrate with a DIY cockpit, as they seem to be married with Skalarki, and not much "official" info seems to be found on offsets, LVars, etc... On their forum, they talk about "Rotor Brake codes"?

What are "Rotor Brake codes"? As far as I can read, these are "custom codes". But where does the name "Rotor Brake" comes from? Is this a "historical" name that has now been re-used in a complete different context?

Thanks!

Edited by Hans Billiet
Give reason for question

2 hours ago, Hans Billiet said:

What are "Rotor Brake codes"? As far as I can read, these are "custom codes". But where does the name "Rotor Brake" comes from? Is this a "historical" name that has now been re-used in a complete different context?

Well, I had to look it up:
The rotor brake assembly is a piston actuated, hydraulically operated braking device for stopping the helicopter rotor
So, it's only for helicopters --  FSL have evidently re-used controls which otherwise aren't in use.

The only relevant control listed for P3D is "ROTOR_BRAKE" (66587 ). for multi-use i guess they use the parameter value.

You really need to ask these questions on the FSLabs forum. Using sophisticated add-on aircraft like those from FSLabs and PMDG takes you away from standard built-in P3D/MSFS subsystems and therefore the control methods are different and need to be determined for the aircraft specifically. For this the aircraft makers are the best source of information.

Pete

For the FSlabs A3xx, they do indeed use the ROTOR BRAKE event/control as a custom control, with the parameter specifying the action. There is a tutorial on how to use these with FSUIPC over on the FSLabs forums:
https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/topic/22402-v440-update-in-depth-tutorial-to-bind-switches-and-push-buttons-to-keyboard-or-hardware-for-the-a3xx/

There was also a recent support question on these that may be of interest: 

John

• Upvote 1

On 8/26/2020 at 8:07 AM, John Dowson said:

For the FSlabs A3xx, they do indeed use the ROTOR BRAKE event/control as a custom control, with the parameter specifying the action. There is a tutorial on how to use these with FSUIPC over on the FSLabs forums:
https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/topic/22402-v440-update-in-depth-tutorial-to-bind-switches-and-push-buttons-to-keyboard-or-hardware-for-the-a3xx/

There was also a recent support question on these that may be of interest: 

John

Glad to see I’ve helped out a bit John