The simFlight Network Forums

MSFS

david_wi1952

1 hour ago, david_wi1952 said:

can't see it in the sim(including Alt 7)

Its Alt + F (not 7). If its running, you should see an icon in the system tray (maybe hidden). Did you see the FSUIPC splash screen at all?

also if the desktop icon is used, it opens the Steam main screen

Steam main screen? Does it start MSFS?
You should see an MSFS splash screen for 30 seconds or so, then the MSFS window should appear. The FSUIPC splash screen should appear after two minutes, then sit in your system tray.

Can you tell me what you see please? If the created link doesn't start it, can you try:
    - running the MSFSwithFSUIPC7.bat file directly (from you FSUIPC7 installation folder)
    - starting MSFS manually, then running the FSUIPC7.exe

3 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Its Alt + F (not 7). If its running, you should see an icon in the system tray (maybe hidden). Did you see the FSUIPC splash screen at all?

Steam main screen? Does it start MSFS?
You should see an MSFS splash screen for 30 seconds or so, then the MSFS window should appear. The FSUIPC splash screen should appear after two minutes, then sit in your system tray.

Can you tell me what you see please? If the created link doesn't start it, can you try:
    - running the MSFSwithFSUIPC7.bat file directly (from you FSUIPC7 installation folder)
    - starting MSFS manually, then running the FSUIPC7.exe

Attaching the screen I get when using the desktop icon. Also tried directly from the application itself but no glory there...

BTW, after the Steam screen and MSFS logo shows up, a small black screen with no text shows up but no data.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmx077t86ziqatk/Screenshot 2020-11-06 21.31.57.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksviz7hsvcc85jf/Screenshot 2020-11-06 21.43.47.png?dl=0

I got at some point the screen on top left indicating the application is wafting for sim to connect...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpwcm4pgzvrv1ko/PETER.png?dl=0

Edited by david_wi1952

3 minutes ago, david_wi1952 said:

Tried Alt+7 in the simulator but nothing appends

Sorry, what is Alt+7 supposed to do? What do you mean by "nothing appends"?

As I previously said, the hot key to display FSUIPC7 is Alt+F. You can also access via the icon in the system tray.

Please read the provided README.txt file and User manual.

So it looks like its not starting MSFS, but starting FSUIPC7. Your last image shows FSUIPC7 but expanded to fit the entire screen.
The black box is nothing to worry about - that's just the command window that the bat is running (which is hidden when you use the link)

Not sure why its not starting MSFS for you. Could you attach your MSFSwithFSUIPC.bat file please, together with your FSUIPC7.log file and I'll take a look.

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

Sorry, what is Alt+7 supposed to do? What do you mean by "nothing appends"?

As I previously said, the hot key to display FSUIPC7 is Alt+F. You can also access via the icon in the system tray.

Please read the provided README.txt file and User manual.

So it looks like its not starting MSFS, but starting FSUIPC7. Your last image shows FSUIPC7 but expanded to fit the entire screen.
The black box is nothing to worry about - that's just the command window that the bat is running (which is hidden when you use the link)

Not sure why its not starting MSFS for you. Could you attach your MSFSwithFSUIPC.bat file please, together with your FSUIPC7.log file and I'll take a look.

The Alt+F did work after I connected the web server in the FSUIPC7 application. Attaching the files you requested.

Thanks for all your help.

InstallFSUIPC7.log MSFSwithFSUIPC7.bat

8 minutes ago, david_wi1952 said:

after I connected the web server in the FSUIPC7 application

What does this mean? The hot key has nothing to do with the web socket server. You should not start that unless you intend to use it.

The bat file looks fine. Could you right-click on the link you use to start MSFS (if you use one), and let me know what the URL is (in Web Document tab). It should match the one in the bat file:
    start "" steam://rungameid/1250410

If it matches, I've no idea why it isn't working. If it doesn't, edit the bit in bold (in your bat file) and replace with the URL.

And btw, I asked for your FSUIPC7.log file, not your InstallFSUIPC7.log file.

46 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

What does this mean? The hot key has nothing to do with the web socket server. You should not start that unless you intend to use it.

The bat file looks fine. Could you right-click on the link you use to start MSFS (if you use one), and let me know what the URL is (in Web Document tab). It should match the one in the bat file:
    start "" steam://rungameid/1250410

If it matches, I've no idea why it isn't working. If it doesn't, edit the bit in bold (in your bat file) and replace with the URL.

And btw, I asked for your FSUIPC7.log file, not your InstallFSUIPC7.log file.

My MSFS is not a Steam version but a Microsoft one. Secondly there is no link as it is an application not .exe file.

FSUIPC7.log

Edited by david_wi1952

9 hours ago, david_wi1952 said:

My MSFS is not a Steam version but a Microsoft one. Secondly there is no link as it is an application not .exe file.

I'll need to let John investigate why the installer identified your install as a Steam one rather than MS-Store, but meanwhile, with my MS-store version the BAT file it generated contains this:

:: MS Store Installation: start MSFS with FastLaunch
cmd.exe /C start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App -FastLaunch

Maybe something similar will work for you?

Pete

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

I'll need to let John investigate why the installer identified your install as a Steam one rather than MS-Store, but meanwhile, with my MS-store version the BAT file it generated contains this:

:: MS Store Installation: start MSFS with FastLaunch
cmd.exe /C start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App -FastLaunch

Maybe something similar will work for you?

Pete

Dear Pete your remarks made the trick. Added the line in my batch file and it started the sim and your logo appeared also. Now all is fine.(Alt+F working fine now)

About the Steam issue, it is installed on my machine but not for MSFS.

Thanks a lot for you excellent work.

10 hours ago, david_wi1952 said:

As Pete identified, the installer thinks you are running a steam version. However, FSUIPC7 itself knows you are using an MS Store version (that's why I needed your FSUIPC7.log file!).

The installer determine the installation type by the location of your MSFS UserOpt.cfg file. It first checks in the steam location, which is (for you)
     C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\UserOpt.cfg
Do you have such a file?
For MSFS installs, it should be (for you):
    C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt

The latter is the one FSUIPC7 uses, so I don't understand why the installer finds the first (or what it is doing there). Did you maybe buy the steam version, return it, then buy the MS Store version instead?

13 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

As Pete identified, the installer thinks you are running a steam version. However, FSUIPC7 itself knows you are using an MS Store version (that's why I needed your FSUIPC7.log file!).

The installer determine the installation type by the location of your MSFS UserOpt.cfg file. It first checks in the steam location, which is (for you)
     C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\UserOpt.cfg
Do you have such a file?
For MSFS installs, it should be (for you):
    C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt

The latter is the one FSUIPC7 uses, so I don't understand why the installer finds the first (or what it is doing there). Did you maybe buy the steam version, return it, then buy the MS Store version instead?

I always had the Market Place version not a Steam version 😀

6 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Ok. But what is the location of your UserOpt.cfg file? Do you have them in both locations?

I can't find it anywhere with the hidden file checked. I remember this file when I installed my first addon to MSFS.

I know I've seen it in the past, but now it is gone. maybe the latest updates changed it, god knows...

6 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

You could try Everything - its a very useful little utility for finding files.
I'd like to know what's happening so I could maybe improve the installer.

For the time being, if you re-install you will have to edit the .bat file each time as it will be removed and re-written.

BTW, the correct file name is UserCfg.opt and it is located on my machine here : G:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-3630179266-323178033-1425774245-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt

UserCfg.opt

46 minutes ago, david_wi1952 said:

BTW, the correct file name is UserCfg.opt and it is located on my machine here : G:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-3630179266-323178033-1425774245-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt

On my system it is actually here:

E:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-3630179266-323178033-1425774245-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt

because I chose drive E: for the MSFS install.  However there is a link to it in the C drive too, in the place John mentions. I don't think that Everything program finds it either.  In fact on my system most of MSFS is on my E driver but there are the same folders on my C drive all with links to the E folders.

Oddly the UserCfg.opt file, though sited in E actually points back to the C drive where the links take me back to the E drive. Very convoluted. Something is very weird about MS-Store installs.  It looks lke your installation is similar -- you UserCfg.opt actiually points to:

C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages

Perhaps you could try my MakeRunways program (MakeRwys.zip), which also uses a search also involving UserCfg.opt. See if that gives proper results please. If so then my way (if different) might help with John's installer. If not, then I'm not sure how we can proceed without manual intervention. We have been nagging MS/Asobo for proper Registry entries identifying important paths, but no joy so far! 😞

Pete

BTW, the correct file name is UserCfg.opt

Yes of course, sorry.

I don't understand why the installer is finding this file under C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\UserCfg..opt - this check is returning true for you for some reason:
          IfFileExists "$APPDATA\Microsoft Flight Simulator\UserCfg.opt" steamInstall
So its installing a steam-install bat. Very strange....

Just posting on here, since I got the latest FSUIPC and I'm trying to see if I can make a smooth workflow to have FSUIPC and MSFS start.

I bought MSFS on Steam. Prior to installing FSUIPC, I could start MSFS via a shortcut in the taskbar that launches the game directly without having to open the Steam window, which is very handy. Steam of course is still running in the background, and boots automatically when my computer starts.

However, now with FSUIPC installed, the intended method appears to be to launch FSUIPC directly through the "MSFS with FSUIPC" shortcut on the desktop. Launching this shortcut does the following:

1. Opens a splashscreen with something to the effect of "Loading cabin, please wait"
  2. Opens a command prompt screen a few moments later
  3. The MSFS window launches and loads
  4. Halfway through loading, the command prompt screen disappears

And FSUIPC can be confirmed to be running with the icon in the System Tray:

This seems very convenient, barring some minor feedback I have which would make this far more elegant:

• It would be nice if there was an option to not show the splashscreen. Some people may want it so they're certain that the launcher is doing something, but I think it looks a bit ugly, and I would rather not see any windows appear except for the primary MSFS window: if it's not the main sim window I don't want to see it.
  • The command prompt screen appearing and disappearing a minute later is a bit confusing. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to close it (sure enough, the first time I tried to run the MSFSwithFSUIPC .bat, I closed the command prompt window out of confusion, and I don't think FSUIPC ran at all that time)

And the three I think are more important to note:

• There's an ounce of care that's required now that it's a separate script that runs MSFS and FSUIPC, meaning that one can't use the Steam window launcher anymore (doing so would launch the sim without FSUIPC). It would be nice if there was a way to set up a Launch Option within Steam that would launch the game with certain parameters (I think it's possible to set the parameters up so it launches a separate exe as well? I tried looking around and it appears to be possible).
  • The script shortcut is an icon on the Desktop. It can't be transferred to the task bar, which means I need to either have Desktop Icons on and select it there, or have to navigate to the C:\FSUIPC directory to run MSFS. Neither are very convenient. Is there any better option, or a way to run the .bat file from the taskbar?
  • Of course, in a perfect world, it would be nice if the MSFS .exe would have a list of scripts to automatically launch at start (similar to FSX). I suppose that option has already been exhausted with Asobo and MS?

Are any of the suggestions I presented feasible? It would just make it that much more convenient to us Steam users rather than having some ugly patchwork of exe's and scripts...

Edited by efortier
(additional bullet point)

7 hours ago, efortier said:

However, now with FSUIPC installed, the intended method appears to be to launch FSUIPC directly through the "MSFS with FSUIPC" shortcut on the desktop.

This is not the 'intended' method. It is just another method provided if you so wish to use it.

• Opens a splashscreen with something to the effect of "Loading cabin, please wait"
  • Opens a command prompt screen a few moments later
  • The MSFS window launches and loads
  • Halfway through loading, the command prompt screen disappears

It opens a command prompt for you when using the desktop link? That's very strange. You get the command prompt if you run the .bat file directly, but using the created desktop shortcut should omit this command prompt. I don't know why this isn't working for you.

This seems very convenient, barring some minor feedback I have which would make this far more elegant:

• It would be nice if there was an option to not show the splashscreen. Some people may want it so they're certain that the launcher is doing something, but I think it looks a bit ugly, and I would rather not see any windows appear except for the primary MSFS window: if it's not the main sim window I don't want to see it.

To remove the splash screen (or text display), just open and edit the MSFSwithFSUIPC7.bat file located in your installation folder. It should be  pretty easy to adjust to your needs. I'll add some flags and simple instructions on how yo adjust to run without the text and/or splash screen in the next installer update. I think I'll also add an FSUIPC7 ini parameter to skip the FSUIPC7 splash as well if needed.
Note the splash was added as there is around a 30 second delay when starting MSFS until any window appears.

The command prompt screen appearing and disappearing a minute later is a bit confusing. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to close it (sure enough, the first time I tried to run the MSFSwithFSUIPC .bat, I closed the command prompt window out of confusion, and I don't think FSUIPC ran at all that time)

As I said, this shouldn't happen when starting using the link. It is a known issue with windows bat files, with using a link to start the bat one way around this.

There's an ounce of care that's required now that it's a separate script that runs MSFS and FSUIPC, meaning that one can't use the Steam window launcher anymore (doing so would launch the sim without FSUIPC). It would be nice if there was a way to set up a Launch Option within Steam that would launch the game with certain parameters (I think it's possible to set the parameters up so it launches a separate exe as well? I tried looking around and it appears to be possible).

In no way does installing FSUIPC7 interfere with any previous methods you use to start MSFS. You can continue to start it how you previously did, and start FSUIPC7 however you wish. You can easily create a shortcut to start FSUIPC7 (only) and drag it to the desktop, or add a windows menu entry item if so required (it pretty straight-forward to do this - try google).
I could add another option to do this in the installer I guess  (but it would be pretty low priority!).

Of course, in a perfect world, it would be nice if the MSFS .exe would have a list of scripts to automatically launch at start (similar to FSX). I suppose that option has already been exhausted with Asobo and MS?

The question has been asked repeatedly but still no response, that I am aware of, from Asobo on this issue.

John

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 10:20 AM, John Dowson said:

To remove the splash screen (or text display), just open and edit the MSFSwithFSUIPC7.bat file located in your installation folder. It should be  pretty easy to adjust to your needs. I'll add some flags and simple instructions on how yo adjust to run without the text and/or splash screen in the next installer update. I think I'll also add an FSUIPC7 ini parameter to skip the FSUIPC7 splash as well if needed.

Hello John,

I searched, but can't find any flags or entries to remove the splash screen.

Could you just give a little hint how I can disable it easily?

thanks!

8 minutes ago, guenseli said:

Could you just give a little hint how I can disable it easily?

Go to your FSUIPC7 installation folder (if you don't know where that is, use the File -> Open Installation Folder... option in FSUIPC7). Open the file MSFSwithFSUIPC7.bat in an editor (e.g. Notepad++), find the following line:
    start mshta "%splash%"
and uncomment, i.e. change to
    :: start mshta "%splash%"

John