The simFlight Network Forums

Help for MFD map range operation using encoder

japermac

Hello,

I would like to know if it would be possible to use an encoder in order to control the range of the MFD map on the default TBM aircraft (MSFS).

I'm using a Leo Bodnar card and encoders for controlling heading, alt, v/s, etc. That was easy to do, because I found all these assignments in the configuration menu in MSFS. But I couldn't find any assignment for operating the range of the map.

Is there any way to do this via FSUIPC? If the answer is yes, could you please tell me how to proceed? I have been user of FSUIPC for years, because some addons needed to have FSUIPC installed. So I installed it, and it has been there all the time, doing its job automatically. I know that FSUIPC is a very powerful tool, even much more than just being installed there. But the fact is that I have never used FSUIPC actively. I have heard about offsets, but I don't know how to handle that.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards, 

Javier

1 hour ago, japermac said:

I'm using a Leo Bodnar card and encoders for controlling heading, alt, v/s, etc. That was easy to do, because I found all these assignments in the configuration menu in MSFS. But I couldn't find any assignment for operating the range of the map.

A rotary encoder provides two button indication, one for clockwise, the other anti-clockwise. Thos are usually assigned to Increment and Decrement fuctions, either via controls or keypresses. But going back to your main question:

1 hour ago, japermac said:

I would like to know if it would be possible to use an encoder in order to control the range of the MFD map on the default TBM aircraft (MSFS).

Is it currently possible using keypresses, or keypress assignment in MSFS? If so, that's they way to go in FSUIPC -- assign the encoder buttons to the keypresses. (Re-assign the keypresses in MSFS if you find that not acceptable).

Otherwise, please read on.

In all previous versions of FS (and P3D for that matter) the control of the range (and other options) on the MFD/PFD has been a facility local to the gauge software doing the display. The only provision made by MS and L-M was for mouse click type control.

In FSX we got around that by hacking into the code and accessing functions specific to the cockpit panel concerned so we could provide facilities which we call "mouse macros" -- basically a way of doing mouse actions using joystick buttons. With P3D4 and P3D5 we had persuaded L-M to implement functions to allow this in a more tidily and legal way.

With MSFS such facilities are on the list of needs provided to MS/Asobo.  They could, alternatively, look at providing the controls needed through their SimConnect interface, But there's still no many more basic things missing from that it might be a long time coming.

So, sorry, it doesn't look likely that this will be feasible for a while yet.

Pete

Oh... those are not good news, then. It's gonna be a hard way to get a physical cockpit with MSFS for a long time. Let's wait.

40 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Is it currently possible using keypresses, or keypress assignment in MSFS? If so, that's they way to go in FSUIPC -- assign the encoder buttons to the keypresses. (Re-assign the keypresses in MSFS if you find that not acceptable).

I didn't understand that. In case it was possible to assign this function to keypresses, why should I assign it via FSUIPC? Why not assigning it directly via the MSFS menu?

My Leo Bodnar is currently recognized by MSFS as a joystick and it allows me to assign encoders for heading or course functions. Maybe you mean I should use FSUIPC in case the card is not recognized by MSFS as a joystick, for example Pokeys cards? I have Pokeys cards connected, and MSFS can see them, but I can't assign anything to them. Can I assign pokeys inputs with FSUIPC?

Thanks a lot for your answer, Pete.

Regards, 

Javier  

2 hours ago, japermac said:

I didn't understand that. In case it was possible to assign this function to keypresses, why should I assign it via FSUIPC? Why not assigning it directly via the MSFS menu?

I thought you wanted to assign to a button, and were using FSUIPC for your controls. If not, just use MSFS assignments, of course. But then why post in this forum?

My Leo Bodnar is currently recognized by MSFS as a joystick and it allows me to assign encoders for heading or course functions. Maybe you mean I should use FSUIPC in case the card is not recognized by MSFS as a joystick

No, not at all. Leo Badnar cards should be usable directly in MSFS.

What are you using FSUIPC for?

Can I assign pokeys inputs with FSUIPC?

I don't know Pokeys, sorry.  Maybe post a new thread asking about that with Pokeys in the title. Then others who know my help. for that, probably best to post in the main forum where it will be seen by many other FSUIPC users, not just those on MSFS.

Pete

Sorry, Pete. I still don't know how does exactly FSUIPC work. 

Yes, my idea was to assign some buttons trying to use FSUIPC, because I can't do it directly via MSFS menu. And I posted on this forum in order to find out about how to do that.

I thought I could assign via FSUIPC all those functions (or some of them) which are not possible or available to assign directly by the assignment list on the configuration menu of MSFS. I just thought it worked like that. As you can see, I'm completely lost about the use of FSUIPC😅

I guess I need to read again all documentation about FSUIPC or search for some kind of  "first steps tutorial" and try to understand how it works and what can I do with FSUIPC.

Thank you for your answers.

Regards,

Javier

5 hours ago, japermac said:

I thought I could assign via FSUIPC all those functions (or some of them) which are not possible or available to assign directly by the assignment list on the configuration menu of MSFS. I just thought it worked like that.

That is pretty much the case in Prepar3D and FSX, but, because FSUIPC interfaces exclusively to MSFS via the facilities of "SimConnect", we are dependent upon Asobo exposing all the switches, dials, etc, via that interface, as mostly  happened with those previous sims. Unfortunately, functions programmed internally to particular aircraft gauges have mostly never been exposed via assignable controls or keypresses. We managed to use other facilities which unfortunately are not (yet?) implemented in MSFS -- access to local panel variables ("L:Vars") and "Mouse Macros" (a way of activating switches otherwise only accessible by mouse).

Fpr SimConnect controls, more coverage is happening slowly but is nowhere near complete, and many of those they have provided do not work yet. MSFS is an evolving product, it just is nowhere near complete yet, and especially not in its support of external programs. There is a list of the state as we know it in your FSUIPC Documents folder.  We put in requests to Asobo for more, and hope. 

Pete

Hi, it seems like mobiflight was able to configure switches via the arduino board to trigger event id like, for example,  pfd direct to button which is not working via fsuipc button assignments.

Is there any ways to make this work via the mobiflight wasm module ?

Regards,

Daniel

10 hours ago, SAC002 said:

Is there any ways to make this work via the mobiflight wasm module ?

I'm sorry, what do you mean by this? FSUIPC does not use Mobiflight, although Mobiflight may use FSUIPC. I am not familiar with Mobiflight. What does the WASM module do?

10 hours ago, SAC002 said:

pfd direct to button which is not working via fsuipc button assignments.

Is this for a particular aircraft, or generally for the G1000?  How does mobiflight handle this? Maybe log the events to see if you need to set something else first, such as one of the _SLOT_INDEX_ events. 
Does mobiflight communicate directly to MSFS or via FSUIPC (or both)?