The simFlight Network Forums

Joystick Button count limit?

David Brewster

Ok, so I've read that there's a joystick button count limitation which is why LUA has to be used for the Mags.

But, I don't understand why not. Why can't FSUIPIC detect all the joystick buttons above 32?

I mean ... other programs can access those buttons so why not FSUIPC?

Other programs including flight sims themselves of course, but outside of that... even FS_Tool which I just discovered detects those joystick buttons out of the box.

FS_Tool can't replace FSUIPC, as it doesn't fix the 10 degree bug and all that... but I just bring it up to demonstrate my confusion.

21 minutes ago, David Brewster said:

But, I don't understand why not. Why can't FSUIPIC detect all the joystick buttons above 32?

This was a limit imposed by early design decisions, and when DirectInput only supported up to 32 buttons.

DirectInput now supports up to 128 buttons. We are working on an update to enable 128 buttons for assignment without Lua.

John

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

when DirectInput only supported up to 32 buttons.

Actually, a minor correction to that:  the original design used the old "joy" interface in Windows. That was far simpler to code and much more compact, so it was a reasonable design choice. It was that which had the 32-button limit. I don't know what "DirectInput" was like back then, apart from being much more complex and bulky.  The appearance of devices with more than 32 buttons has been quite recent in the history of FSUIPC. Back in the day you were lucky to find devices with more more than 8 or 9 buttons!

Pete