The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC free vs. registered

I would need to know if the "Virtual Buttons" (Offsets 29F0/3340) are usable with a free Version? Does that count as "access to Offsets" (=free) or "Joystick control facilities" (=registered)?

So Offsets & Controls are "free", Lua is only available when registered. Correct?

Therefor I'd assume Macros and Lvars are also only available with a registered Version (since using the same Offset), right?

3 minutes ago, Fragtality said:

So Offsets & Controls are "free", Lua is only available when registered. Correct?

Therefor I'd assume Macros and Lvars are also only available with a registered Version (since using the same Offset), right?

Yes - anything with lua/macros is only with registered versions, even for use by offsets.

4 minutes ago, Fragtality said:

I would need to know if the "Virtual Buttons" (Offsets 29F0/3340) are usable with a free Version

I think so, but not 100% without checking...best to try.

Just now, John Dowson said:
5 minutes ago, Fragtality said:

I would need to know if the "Virtual Buttons" (Offsets 29F0/3340) are usable with a free Version

I think so, but not 100% without checking...best to try.

Actually, maybe not. All assignment facilities are for registered versions only. but I'm not sure if this includes the button flags. As I said, best to check.

17 hours ago, Fragtality said:

I would need to know if the "Virtual Buttons" (Offsets 29F0/3340) are usable with a free Version? Does that count as "access to Offsets" (=free) or "Joystick control facilities" (=registered)?

The virtual buttons are part of the joystick scanning (real & virtual buttons are scanned each time). And assignments to the virtual buttons need registration in any case. So i don't know how you'd use the virtual buttons offsets: except from a program -- two programs, probably. One to set the button bits, the other to read them. So it would be the same, really, as using any user offsets.

Pete

Sorry but this Answer is confusing.

So the Virtual Buttons are only really usable (e.g. assignable in the FSUIPC UI) with a registered Version. But basically with a free Version it is still possible to write to this Offset(s).

How they are intended to be used is really simple: My StreamDeck Plugin writes to this Offset(s) to trigger the Buttons, so a User can have their Mappings/Bindings within FSUIPC (instead of directly assigning a Control/Lua/Macro via StreamDeck), if he/she prefers that.

9 minutes ago, Fragtality said:

So the Virtual Buttons are only really usable (e.g. assignable in the FSUIPC UI) with a registered Version. But basically with a free Version it is still possible to write to this Offset(s).

You can read/write to offsets using the free version. If you want to assign to them, you need the registered version.

11 minutes ago, Fragtality said:

My StreamDeck Plugin writes to this Offset(s) to trigger the Buttons,

So that is fine with the free version.

12 minutes ago, Fragtality said:

so a User can have their Mappings/Bindings within FSUIPC (instead of directly assigning a Control/Lua/Macro via StreamDeck), if he/she prefers that.

and this would require the registered version.

7 minutes ago, Fragtality said:

All offsets other than those protected against being written can be changed by an application program. Reading and writing offsets has always been the long term reason for FSUIPC's existence, right from 1998.  What the offsets are used for isn't relevant to that facility.

9 minutes ago, Fragtality said:

How they are intended to be used is really simple: My StreamDeck Plugin writes to this Offset(s) to trigger the Buttons, so a User can have their Mappings/Bindings within FSUIPC (instead of directly assigning a Control/Lua/Macro via StreamDeck), if he/she prefers that.

Mappings/bindings within FSUIPC imply assignment to some function or other in the Sim.  As I said, assignments in FSUIPC are part of the facilities registration of FSUIPC enable.

So you can certainly manipulate the virtual button offsets, but they cannot be used by an unregistered FSUIPC user for assignments. They could just be read by other programs as can any offsets.

Pete