The simFlight Network Forums

MakeRwys 5.11 and new ORBX/MK-Studios LPPD Ponta Delgada addon path

Hi,

I've noticed that Makerwys 5.11 does not like Portuguese special character used in the folder name of latest ORBX/MK-Studios LPPD addon.

In runways.txt all is OK:

Area.414 "Ponta Delgada" (Layer=414)
Path(Local/Remote)=L:\ORBX\p3dv5\LPPD Ponta Delgada - João Paulo II Airport\ORBX\MKStudios\MK_LPPD
=============================================================================
L:\ORBX\p3dv5\LPPD Ponta Delgada - João Paulo II Airport\ORBX\MKStudios\MK_LPPD\scenery\LPPD_ADEP4_MK.bgl
=============================================================================

But in runways.xml the 'ã' is coded 'xE3':

<ICAO id="LPPD">
<ICAOName>Joao Paulo Ii</ICAOName>
<Country>Portugal</Country>
<City>Ponta Delgada</City>
<File>L:\ORBX\p3dv5\LPPD Ponta Delgada - JoxE3Paulo II Airport\ORBX\MKStudios\MK_LPPD\scenery\LPPD_ADEP4_MK.bgl</File>

As a consequence some tools like Super Traffic Board are not able to read the path correctly. Of course it's easy to edit runways.xml to fix the problem each time Makerwys is executed but is there a way to change this?

Thanks, Skip.

10 hours ago, Skipy33 said:

I've noticed that Makerwys 5.11 does not like Portuguese special character used in the folder name of latest ORBX/MK-Studios LPPD addon.

It isn't just MakeRwys. The Lorby-Si AddOnOrganizer doesn't like the ã character either, saying the path is illegal.  I suspect something similar occurs in the Lorby-Si scenery list exporter which MakeRwys uses.

In my case I have edited the path name to change the ã to an a. If I don't do that I can't use AddOnOrganizer to manage my scenery library.

When MakeRwys produces XML files it takes care to "escape" those characters not defined for XML use, but ã should be left as is. The escaped characters are just:

& => &amp;
"  => &quot;

'  =>  &apos;

< => &lt;
> => &gt;

and those are all. So I'm not sure what is converting the ã -- there's nothing in MakeRwys doing it.  Are you sure it isn't the editor you are using? I'll check here next time my system is up and running, but if you rename the file as test.txt instead of runways.xml does it still show the ã as xE3? If not then it is the XML reader being used which is converting it.

If this is the case then can you try changing the first line in the file to

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

Perhaps that encoding instruction will stop this happening. If so it's an easy change in MakeRwys.

Pete

I noticed you were using MakeRunways version 5.11.  The latest one, which I was checking is 5.126, and that is the currently supported one. Possibly version 5.11 has got code in to show the hex value of non-ASCII characters, as I added such code when working with Pelle Liljendal to try to determine how bad characters were getting into an airport name (not a scenery path).

So please try 5.126 and let me know:. It is certainly available in the DownLoad Links subforum (Useful Additional Programs thread).  I notice the text on FSUIPC.com still says 5.11 even though it does link to the same version.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Yes it's because 5.11 was written that I didn't try to download Makerwys again :-).

I've made the test with 5.126 with the same result (I'm using Notepad++ to view/edit xml files).

Adding encoding <?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?> in runways.xml header fixed the problem with Super Traffic Board scenery scan :-). 

Regards, Skip.

10 minutes ago, Skipy33 said:

Adding encoding <?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?> in runways.xml header fixed the problem with Super Traffic Board scenery scan :-). 

Okay. I'll update MakeRunways to do that.

Meanwhile there's already an update for LPPD released on Orbx and updating it via Orbx Central seems to have worked with the ã replaced by a.  I'd guess that MK Studios or Orbx have realised the problems with strictly illegal characters in pathnames and have changed it already!

Pete