The simFlight Network Forums

KJFK - traffic volume seems very low ?

Tullaian

I am playing KJFK with RT 6v30 @ 100% traffic and am getting around 24-30 total movements per hour between 8-10am at a few points in the hour there is no traffic at all. Just wondering if this is by virtue of RT building a schedule based sometime during COVID when nothing much was flying or if there is another problem as i was expecting something more like 60-80 movements an hour. 

A total of 97 flights are set for these two hours in the original schedule. (8am: 53 - 9am: 44) You may get fewer flights because you load the entire schedule and quite some gates are blocked. A look into the log file will give you some information of what is going on. It is generally useful to play snippets of 2 to max 6 hours, depending on schedule and airport.

Thanks Eli, perhaps something to do with the gates in the morning or maybe JFK doesn't really have a large morning peak in real life either 🙂 . I played the 7pm to 9pm block and it was averaging around 53 movements which was better but still on the low side for JFK. Any ideas when the actual busiest time in the schedule is ?

JFK is set for 75 per hour in instrument conditions or 85 per hour in peak visual weather as far as I know in real life. 

Maybe though after playing Atlanta everything else just seems slow or maybe it is that JFK's setup is pretty friendly for moving things around. It seems way easier at JFK to alternate your landings and takeoffs versus Heathrow where the clearance between each arrival seems much tighter.

31 minutes ago, Tullaian said:

It seems way easier at JFK to alternate your landings and takeoffs versus Heathrow where the clearance between each arrival seems much tighter.

How are you operating EGLL?
If you are familiar with operations, then one runway for arrivals and the other for departures
Combinations are
27L for arrivals and 27R for departures
27R for arrivals and 27L for departures
09L for arrivals and 09R for departures (although this is rare as the program hardly ever gives this wind direction) 
Time Based Separation has been in use for several years now, so there should be up to 6 departures and 6 arrivals per 5 minutes
Once a landed aircraft has been passed from the arrivals controller the departing aircraft is cleared for take off

1 hour ago, Tullaian said:

Looks like I have been doing it wrong. I have been using both runways for both arrivals and departures simultaneously

You would use both runways 27L and 27R before about 07:30, then for a short period around 16:15 to 17:15
There is also a runway change at 15:00
Example
05:00 to 07:15 27L and 27R
07:15 to 14:59 27L
15:00 to 16:20 27R
16:20 to 17:10 27L and 27R
17:10 to 23:00 27R

9 hours ago, Tullaian said:

I just checked a few YouTube videos and they all were using both runways for T/L and assumed for a busy airport like Heathrow that made sense. 

This suggests you viewed either early morning dual runway operations, or during 2020 when only one runway was in use