The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC + WIDEFS 7 Compatibility with old FSUIPC

Hi good day

I am running a TRC Simulator controller on an old 32 bit win XP computer. This PC controls my instruments.

on a gaming PC I am running MSFS 2020 .

right now I am using XPUIPC to connect my X-Plane 11 and it works prefect.

Now I want to connect my MSFS 2020 to the panel as well.

As far as I researched I should buy FSUIPC 7 and WideFS 7 on my gaming PC. and my client (Win XP) should connect to my FSUIPC 7

I am worrying about compatibility problems. Is it possible to have FSUIPC 7 on my gaming PC and the older version (FSUIPC + WideFS version 4) on my winXP PC? since it is old 32 bit windows.

19 hours ago, alireza787b said:

I am worrying about compatibility problems. Is it possible to have FSUIPC 7 on my gaming PC and the older version (FSUIPC + WideFS version 4) on my winXP PC? since it is old 32 bit windows.

It's only WideClient you need on the WinXP PC. And then, as it is 32-bit, you need an older WideClient --yes, perhaps the one from WideFS6. But the business end of WideFS is the WideServer component which is built into FSUIPC7, and it is that part which needs licensing.

So, you purchase WideFS7 but download an old version of WideClient.  The protocol used is compatible, just some of the facilities in WideClient won't be there.

Pete

3 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

It's only WideClient you need on the WinXP PC. And then, as it is 32-bit, you need an older WideClient --yes, perhaps the one from WideFS6. But the business end of WideFS is the WideServer component which is built into FSUIPC7, and it is that part which needs licensing.

So, you purchase WideFS7 but download an old version of WideClient.  The protocol used is compatible, just some of the facilities in WideClient won't be there.

Pete

thanks for the reply..quite a mess... Can you please correct me if I am wrong

should purchase FSUIPC 7 + WideFS 7 and download WideFS6(Free Download).
install FSUIPC 7 on my win 10 PC Only and don't need anything else on it(Wide server is built in)? then only run WideClient (From WideFS6 ) on my win XP? They are
compatible

if Wideserver is built in in FSUIPC7 and wideFS 6 is free, why I still need to buy WideFS 7?

Edited by alireza787b

On 12/25/2021 at 1:58 PM, alireza787b said:

quite a mess

Why do you think that?

On 12/25/2021 at 1:58 PM, alireza787b said:

if Wideserver is built in in FSUIPC7 and wideFS 6 is free, why I still need to buy WideFS 7?

Because WideFS7 is a payware option. Just because you need an older version of the Client (by staying on WinXP) doesn't mean you get the FSUIPC part free. You'll still be using WideFS7 main code.

Pete

18 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Why do you think that?

Because WideFS7 is a payware option. Just because you need an older version of the Client (by staying on WinXP) doesn't mean you get the FSUIPC part free. You'll still be using WideFS7 main code.

Pete

just kidding:) its headache to keep 2021 sim still functional with old win XP 🙂
Thanks for the help. I just wanted to make sure so Won't buy it and endup being useless...
I will buy FSUIPC7 + WideFS7 and download old wideClient and give it a try...

Thanks for the help sir

Thanks for the help
Sure... I am configuring my sim panels and gauges , after that I will use the FSUIPC7 Trial( Its said to be valid until end of 2021) 

Then I will ask you for a trial of WideFS here as well just below this post.
Again Thanks for the kind support

39 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

You should try the trial license for FSUIPC7 before purchasing, available here: 

I can also provide you with a trial license for WideFS7 if needed.

John

• 4 months later...

Hello again sir

Just to follow up this post..
I am almost finished with my hardware setup.
can you please create a trial license for wideFS7 for me so I can test it with my system .(I got the FSUIPC7 trial which is valid till end of may but didnt found any widefs trial license)

1 hour ago, alireza787b said:

can you please create a trial license for wideFS7 for me so I can test it with my system .(I got the FSUIPC7 trial which is valid till end of may but didnt found any widefs trial license)

What do you need WideFS7 for? As FSUIPC7 can now be ran on a client PC, this could possibly be used instead, so I would suggest you try this first.

Details on how to use FSUIPC7 on a client PC are in the Advanced User guide, Appendix 4 on page 64.

John

hi thanks for your reply

it was your own advice (in this topic) . since my client (the old PC that connects to an old TRC Panel) must run on 32 bit. you advised me to install fsuipc7 and widefs7 on net Win10 PC (running the MSFS) and instal wideclient (old version from FSUIPC4) on the old 32 bit PC.

Yes, sorry - didn't re-read the whole thread...
If your old PC is 32-bit, you will need to run the WideFS6 version of WideClient, and a license for WideFS7 on the server PC.
I'll see if I can generate you a time-limited license for WideFS7, but this will be tomorrow at the earliest.

John

hello again and thanks for the help
I tried to run WideClient.exe on my Win XP SP3 system. but it fails to start and gives the error " this is not a valid win32 application" . What does it mean? Is WideFS 32 bit? Wideservercloser.exe runs OK but wideClient.exe fails.

8 hours ago, alireza787b said:

I tried to run WideClient.exe on my Win XP SP3 system. but it fails to start

I'm sorry, but WinXP has not been supported by our software for a very long time. Try updating to at least Win7. If that isn't possible, you could try this old version of WideClient (5.500 dating back to 2003). It should still work even with FSUIPC7, but the facilities won't all be as documented in the current WideFS documents. Sorry, I don't have any old documentation to go with it.

Pete

WideClient5500.zip

8 hours ago, alireza787b said:

I tried to run WideClient.exe on my Win XP SP3 system. but it fails to start and gives the error " this is not a valid win32 application" . What does it mean? Is WideFS 32 bit? Wideservercloser.exe runs OK but wideClient.exe fails.

Is this the WideClient.exe in the WideFS6 release? If so, that message is strange...

3 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

I'm sorry, but WinXP has not been supported by our software for a very long time. Try updating to at least Win7.

There should be a WideClient that is compatible with windows XP (we think!). Pete will take a look and possibly post you a version to try - we cannot verify this here as neither of us have a win XP system anymore.

John

Later: Pete has amended his previous post with a version for you to try...

Edited by John Dowson
Later added

Thanks Pete and John for your great helps...
I will test the 5500 version version tomorrow morning and will update you with the result. if it didnt work perhaps I should try Win 7 
Thanks again  for the help I will update this post.

10 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Yes - I just tried and it tells me the (compressed) folder is empty. I think Pete must have made a mistake zipping it - can you check @Pete Dowson?

It downloads and opens fine here ... I've no idea why you both can't get it downloading correctly!??? 😞

I've attached the EXE file extracted from that same downloaded ZIP!

Pete

WideClient.exe

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

It downloads and opens fine here ... I've no idea why you both can't get it downloading correctly!??? 😞

We can download it correctly, just can't unzip it. However, I just tried with 7zip and it worked with that, just not with the windows default extraction program.

John

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

We can download it correctly, just can't unzip it. However, I just tried with 7zip and it worked with that, just not with the windows default extraction program.

John

Strange. Perhaps I inadvertently set a different option in 7zip, as I’ve been using it for years with no such problems.

???

Pete

Yeah It worked with 7zip. but not with WinRAR and mac extractor 

Just to update the main subject thread

thanks for your great help
after a little of struggle (with old win XP Networking :D) it started working and I am expressed with great compatibility and consistency of your products after 20 years.

There are a few things I want to mention help others who might want to do sth similar:
1- I feel noticeable lag compare to XPUIPC. Since I am using the same panel with XPUIPC and Xplane 11. This should be a problem with old wideclient and win XP. So at the end I will use Win 7 32bit (if it wont make more incompatibility)  but overall its great and its working. Maybe I will post a short video of how it works in YouTube.

2- I found some glithes and bugs that are not that much important. (specially in autopilot modes)

But there is a major problem that I think is a bug with FSUIPC7 and MSFS and setting the offsets.  NDB ADF Frequency SWAP button doesn't work properly in FSUIPC. when I push swap, it changes the standby freq only and active wont change. It means active Freq is always the same and wont respond to the command from panel. Sometimes the value even changes by 0.5 . Since I am using this panel with XPlane and XPUIPC and it works ok there, I believe there is small problem in FSUIPC 7 and MSFS. So I just wanted to report this problem. I attached the video showing this problem as well. 

After all thanks both of you for your great helps. I will continue check my peripheral compatibility this week and buy the FSUIPC 7 and WideFS license from your market... Thanks for the great help

Sincerely 

2 hours ago, alireza787b said:

So at the end I will use Win 7 32bit

If you switch to Win7 I would recommend the 64-bit version. It is compatible with 32 bit programs too, and there's no point in restricting yourself unnecessarily.

By default WideClient uses TCP protocol. You might find it slightly faster using UDP. But either way, its speed depends on the Server.  It's 'frame rate' is limited deliberately to 24-30fps so it doesn't affect the Sim's performance, but MSFS tends to be a heavier load on the server than either P3D or XPlane, and the need to have FSUIPC7 as an external process from MSFS (unlike FSUIPC6 with P3D) will add to the latency.

Pete