The simFlight Network Forums

fuel levers idle/cutoff for the new PMDG 737-700 MSFS

Cuantreau

8 hours ago, Cuantreau said:

Is there a way to assign fuel levers idle/cutoff for the new PMDG 737-700 for MSFS?

I don't know - if the standard controls don't work, check the PMDG SDK to see if any custom controls are provided. You could also try logging what events are used when you move the fuel levers to idle/cut-off in the UI. According to the following post, Throttle Cut is being used, so have you tried that?

Do you have your throttle assigned and working in FSUIPC? It seems that many people are currently having difficulties with this (again, see that post above).

Not having this add-on, I cannot really advise on how the throttle should be assigned. You should check the PMDG forums.

8 hours ago, Cuantreau said:

Or we should wait for an update of your add-on?

There may be an update to make the specific PMDG offsets available - if the MSFS version is providing this data (I am awaiting a response from PMDG to see if this is available). But I don't think there will be any update to help with the throttle assignment. This should really be assignable using the currently available controls/events, but I don't really know not having this add-on, sorry.

John

3 hours ago, John Dowson said:

There may be an update to make the specific PMDG offsets available - if the MSFS version is providing this data (I am awaiting a response from PMDG to see if this is available). But I don't think there will be any update to help with the throttle assignment. This should really be assignable using the currently available controls/events, but I don't really know not having this add-on, sorry.

John

Let's just wait and see what happens then. I kept on trying to assign the throttle in the same way as I did under P3D/FSX as it worked perfectly there with the help of FSUIPC of course, till I found out this to be impossible in MSFS' 737. I now will use my joystick's throttle in such a way that I only can use thrust idle and up to max thrust forward. The reversers I will activate through the F2 key. When I will be using the 737 that is, I still do prefer the FBW A320Neo 🙂 . Thanks, John

Hi John , firstly thanks for the quick reply, you and your brother are awesome. Secondly, I have no issues with throttles assignment and calibration through FSUIPC, it's the fuel cutoff and idle lever in the new aircraft and the impossibility to assign them to a button that could trigger them, but that would need an SDK release by PMDG I suppose. Hope you can get it before we do and work to add the off-sets. Thanks again very much!

6 minutes ago, hvw said:

Let's just wait and see what happens then. I kept on trying to assign the throttle in the same way as I did under P3D/FSX as it worked perfectly there with the help of FSUIPC of course, till I found out this to be impossible in MSFS' 737. I now will use my joystick's throttle in such a way that I only can use thrust idle and up to max thrust forward. The reversers I will activate through the F2 key. When I will be using the 737 that is, I still do prefer the FBW A320Neo 🙂 . Thanks, John

I could do it the exact same way I did it in p3dv5 and fsx as you said. Had no issues whatsoever to make them work with MSFS and the 737-700.

5 minutes ago, Cuantreau said:

I could do it the exact same way I did it in p3dv5 and fsx as you said. Had no issues whatsoever to make them work with MSFS and the 737-700.

The "weird" thing is that "my" way of assignment/calibration does work great for MSFS' stock 747 and A320, but it really is a royal PITA in PMDG's 737-700. So I decided to live with the fact that when I use the PMDG 737 I will have to use the F2 key to get the reversers to work. Can you let me know what your throttle setup is in MSFS' control options for the joystick? I perhaps may have overlooked something. Thanks.

21 minutes ago, Cuantreau said:

I could do it the exact same way I did it in p3dv5 and fsx as you said.

But many people can't! People used various different methods for the throttle assignments in FSX/P3D. Perhaps you could share what you use as this could possibly help others who are having issues with this in MSFS.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cuantreau said:

Is there a way to assign fuel levers idle/cutoff for the new PMDG 737-700 for MSFS?

Does the F1 key work for throttle cut? If that works, but not sending the Throttle Cut control via the SDK (FSUIPC), then you could assign to send the F1 keypress instead.
Similarly, if Throttle Dec (when idle) doesn't go into reverse, then try the F2 key instead and if that works assign to that.

This is my throttle quadrant (throttletek with button reversers not axis) config through FSUIPC. Note on the last pic, that's how i configure the button reversers to my liking, what throttle set with -1 on parameters give me is the ability to set reversers and choose whether to leave them and they'll increase to max (81% aporx), or release them as soon as i set them, that keeps them in idle until i vacate the runway, then when i want them off i set the thrust a bit and they retract/close. Hope it helps. Will try your suggestions John and let you know. Thanks a lot.

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

• Like 1

Thanks @Cuantreau - that looks like a pretty standard throttle config for jets with a button to activate reversers (rather than using an axis), so I am surprised others are having difficulties. The only difference to a standard set-up is in using Throttle Set with a parameter of -1 rather than Throttle Cut, but I guess that does the same thing...

3 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Does the F1 key work for throttle cut? If that works, but not sending the Throttle Cut control via the SDK (FSUIPC), then you could assign to send the F1 keypress instead.
Similarly, if Throttle Dec (when idle) doesn't go into reverse, then try the F2 key instead and if that works assign to that.

Yes, they both work (F1 and F2) and yes I could set them to the buttons of my joystick, but I just wanted to use my joystick's throttle to handle the 737's thrust (throttle in the  middle=idle, throttle all the way forward=full thrust, throttle all the way back=full reverse). I guess I have to make do with thrust controlled by buttons 🙂 

Thanks, John

Later: Holding F2 depressed gives full reverse, F1 cuts the engine, so I can fly around with the PMDG 737s.

3 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Thanks @Cuantreau - that looks like a pretty standard throttle config for jets with a button to activate reversers (rather than using an axis), so I am surprised others are having difficulties. The only difference to a standard set-up is in using Throttle Set with a parameter of -1 rather than Throttle Cut, but I guess that does the same thing...

You are welcome, the idle/cutoff for the start levers was a no go unfortunately. Tried all fuel and mixture MSFS keyboard assignments but none worked, so couldn't assign them to FSUIPC obviously.

6 minutes ago, hvw said:

I just wanted to use my joystick's throttle to handle the 737's thrust (throttle in the  middle=idle, throttle all the way forward=full thrust, throttle all the way back=full reverse).

If you want to use reversers on an axis, they are usually assigned on a separate reverser axis. I am not sure if this would work with the PMDG aircraft, but the way to do this (with a separate axis for reversers), would be to try assigning the forward thrust throttle levers to the normal "AXIS THROTTLEn SET" controls, and either don't calibrate (calibration can mess up things with PMDG aircraft), or if you try calibration in FSUIPC set the "No reverse zone" option so the whole axis is for forward thrust. Reversers can then be assigned the FSUIPC-added controls "REVERSERn".

You could try using the "AXIS THROTTLEn SET" control and calibrating with a reverse zone, but this has previously always given issues with PMDG aircraft due to priority levels.

PMDG aircraft have always had issues with reverse control on an axis - I don't know about the MSFS version but it looks to be the same...

John

15 hours ago, John Dowson said:

If you want to use reversers on an axis, they are usually assigned on a separate reverser axis. I am not sure if this would work with the PMDG aircraft, but the way to do this (with a separate axis for reversers), would be to try assigning the forward thrust throttle levers to the normal "AXIS THROTTLEn SET" controls, and either don't calibrate (calibration can mess up things with PMDG aircraft), or if you try calibration in FSUIPC set the "No reverse zone" option so the whole axis is for forward thrust. Reversers can then be assigned the FSUIPC-added controls "REVERSERn".

You could try using the "AXIS THROTTLEn SET" control and calibrating with a reverse zone, but this has previously always given issues with PMDG aircraft due to priority levels.

PMDG aircraft have always had issues with reverse control on an axis - I don't know about the MSFS version but it looks to be the same...

John

Good morning John,

Unfortunately this, too, didn't work. It was worth giving it a shot, thanks a lot for all your help. 

Hans

Hello,

Struggling with the 737 as well..:-)

The reverser works for me when i assign it on an Axis as described above (direct to FSUIP Calibration). Setting a button to Engine 1 dec does not work for me (which normally works on other planes). I will experiment some more when i have the time.

The fuel lever / idle cutoff can be toggled through the Rotor brake function.
Fuel lever 1 is 688
Fuel lever 2 is 689.

To assign a toggle function for this, assign the Rotor Brake to a button with the parameter 68801 or 68901.
The 01 means left mouse click.

You can download an Excel file with all the event numbers here:
https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/pmdg-737-for-msfs/182499-737-lvars-simevents-etc-list

Kind Regards,
Andre

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Andre92 said:

Setting a button to Engine 1 dec does not work for me (which normally works on other planes). I will experiment some more when i have the time.

Do you mean Throttle 1 Dec? Try Throttle Dec instead (although this is for both throttles/engines).

59 minutes ago, Andre92 said:

Fuel lever 1 is 688
Fuel lever 2 is 689.

To assign a toggle function for this, assign the Rotor Brake to a button with the parameter 68801 or 68901.

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/pmdg-737-for-msfs/182499-737-lvars-simevents-etc-list

Ok, so the MSFS PMDG uses the rotor brake control with the parameter indicating the actual custom control being used. Good to know, thanks.

John

So had some spare 30 minutes to try again.
The Throttle 1 Dec (and #2) does work. I believe you have to add a parameter (not 0), for it to work.

I've now set it up on my Honeycomb Throttles to have a single Throttle 1 dec when the reverse levers are pulled, this gives you idle reverse. When pulling the throttles through the detent, Throttle 1 dec is pressed repeatedly, so you get full reverse. This allows you to choose between idle and full reverse.
When the reverse lever is released Throttle 1 cut stows the reverser.

I programmed the fuel lever (idle cutoff) on the detent of axis 2 and 5. On press and release of the detent button they are toggled.

André

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andre92 said:

Hello,

Struggling with the 737 as well..:-)

The reverser works for me when i assign it on an Axis as described above (direct to FSUIP Calibration). Setting a button to Engine 1 dec does not work for me (which normally works on other planes). I will experiment some more when i have the time.

Fuel lever 1 is 688
Fuel lever 2 is 689.

Kind Regards,
Andre

Andre, you're the man !!!!!!!!! Thanks so much man, how did you find this?. Fuel levers where the last buttons that I was missing in my throttle quadrant assignments.

4 hours ago, Andre92 said:

So had some spare 30 minutes to try again.
The Throttle 1 Dec (and #2) does work. I believe you have to add a parameter (not 0), for it to work.

I've now set it up on my Honeycomb Throttles to have a single Throttle 1 dec when the reverse levers are pulled, this gives you idle reverse. When pulling the throttles through the detent, Throttle 1 dec is pressed repeatedly, so you get full reverse. This allows you to choose between idle and full reverse.
When the reverse lever is released Throttle 1 cut stows the reverser.

I programmed the fuel lever (idle cutoff) on the detent of axis 2 and 5. On press and release of the detent button they are toggled.

André

Andre, so your fuel levers a axis or a single button for each lever like mine? Didn't get how you did it? Could you elaborate a bit more please, thanks man.

52 minutes ago, Cuantreau said:

Andre, so your fuel levers a axis or a single button for each lever like mine? Didn't get how you did it? Could you elaborate a bit more please, thanks man.

I use the a button for the fuel levers. The honeycomb throttle has a detent at the bottom part of all throttles/axis which triggers a button.

125=PL,24,C66587,68801 	-{ROTOR_BRAKE}-
126=UL,24,C66587,68801 	-{ROTOR_BRAKE}-
127=PL,27,C66587,68901 	-{ROTOR_BRAKE}-
128=UL,27,C66587,68901 	-{ROTOR_BRAKE}-

It looks like this in my ini file (Buttons section), where L is the letter assigned to my Honeycomb throttle on my setup.

Andre

38 minutes ago, Andre92 said:

I use the a button for the fuel levers. The honeycomb throttle has a detent at the bottom part of all throttles/axis which triggers a button.

125=PL,24,C66587,68801 	-{ROTOR_BRAKE}-
126=UL,24,C66587,68801 	-{ROTOR_BRAKE}-
127=PL,27,C66587,68901 	-{ROTOR_BRAKE}-
128=UL,27,C66587,68901 	-{ROTOR_BRAKE}-

It looks like this in my ini file (Buttons section), where L is the letter assigned to my Honeycomb throttle on my setup.

Andre

Thanks a lot Andre, will make it work