The simFlight Network Forums

MakeRwys - Missing Airports

Just had a user complaining about a couple of missing airports, LECK and LEMQ

I checked the various output files produced by MakeRwys 5.13 for MSFS and discovered the following:-

LECK and LEMQ are NOT in Runways.csv, R5 or F5. But they are referenced in Runways.txt, Runways.xml, T5 and G5

I couldn't see anything obvious as to why this should be and would appreciate your thoughts/comments

Thank you

5 hours ago, Dave March said:

LECK and LEMQ are NOT in Runways.csv, R5 or F5. But they are referenced in Runways.txt, Runways.xml, T5 and G5

I would need to see the relevant sections of the Runways.txt file. That is the log of the analysis made. Are they default airports?

Pete

2 hours ago, Dave March said:

Yes they are default airports in MSFS

Well, there would be no F5 entries as there doesn't appear to be any airport frequencies in the BGL definitions.

It looks like MakeRwys cannot compute the actual start point, which involves the threshold offset.

Could you show me the relevant sections of Runways.xml?

My MSFS installation is not only out of date, but the PC it is on is out of commission at present pending some changes I was planning. So, it would help if you count ZIP and send me the file involved:

Official\OneStore\fs-base-genericairports\scenery\0502\APX46170.bgl

Pete

Here you go...

<ICAO id="LECK">
<ICAOName></ICAOName>
<Country></Country>
<City></City>
<File>\\?\F:\FS2020\Official\OneStore\fs-base-genericairports\scenery\0502\APX46170.bgl</File>
<SceneryName>fs-base-genericairports scenery 0502</SceneryName>
<Longitude>-3.934329</Longitude>
<Latitude>39.693424</Latitude>
<Altitude>2367.43</Altitude>
<MagVar>0.000</MagVar>
</ICAO>

<ICAO id="LEMQ">
<ICAOName></ICAOName>
<Country></Country>
<City></City>
<File>\\?\F:\FS2020\Official\OneStore\fs-base-genericairports\scenery\0502\APX46170.bgl</File>
<SceneryName>fs-base-genericairports scenery 0502</SceneryName>
<Longitude>-3.874286</Longitude>
<Latitude>39.898067</Latitude>
<Altitude>1602.32</Altitude>
<MagVar>0.000</MagVar>
</ICAO>

Right. I should have noticed -- the runway length is less than 1500 feet in those two airports (and in several others in the same BGL).

See this in the MakeRunways README document:

MINIMUM RUNWAY LENGTH
By default MakeRunways imposes a minimum runway length of 1500 feet, otherwise runways are omitted from the data files. This is to eliminate so-called "ghost" runways being included -- very small runways provided only to allow AI Traffic to be directed better for landings and takeoffs.
If necessary you can override this value. Just use a command line parameter in the form:
/>n where n gives the number of feet to be considered the maximum for exclusion. Take care not to make this too small for fear of including those "ghosts", but if you really do want to see all, you can set />0.

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Right. I should have noticed -- the runway length is less than 1500 feet in those two airports (and in several others in the same BGL).

See this in the MakeRunways README document:

MINIMUM RUNWAY LENGTH
By default MakeRunways imposes a minimum runway length of 1500 feet, otherwise runways are omitted from the data files. This is to eliminate so-called "ghost" runways being included -- very small runways provided only to allow AI Traffic to be directed better for landings and takeoffs.
If necessary you can override this value. Just use a command line parameter in the form:
/>n where n gives the number of feet to be considered the maximum for exclusion. Take care not to make this too small for fear of including those "ghosts", but if you really do want to see all, you can set />0.

Pete

Hi Pete,

It seems that from a Windows 10 command line the parameter needs to be enclosed in double quotes to work, e.g. MakeRwys.exe "/>500" , otherwise it creates an empty file for redirected output (called 500 in this case).

Regards,
Martin

19 hours ago, pointy56 said:

It seems that from a Windows 10 command line the parameter needs to be enclosed in double quotes to work, e.g. MakeRwys.exe "/>500" , otherwise it creates an empty file for redirected output (called 500 in this case).

I used a new shortcut with the command being "makerwys.exe />500" (with thee path to the exe of course) and it worked fine. Yes, on Win10. I always use shortcuts when adding parameters, then I can name them appropriately (like "MakeRwys All lengths").

There obviously mustn't be a space between the / and the >, else you'd certainly get the result you said. I can't imagine why Windows would interpret /> as just >.

Pete