The simFlight Network Forums

Wideview in FS2004

I have used Wideview since FS2000. Primay PC is Dell 8250 3.06 HT with Win XP and Radeon 9700 Pro. Two 'low-level' e-machine PC's WinMe's are used solely for Left-Front and Right-Front views. I recently registered FSUIPC 3.0 with high hopes that Wideview would work after loading FS9 in all three. Unfortunately, FS9 crashes to desktop when Wideview is started. There is no really big surprize here since Wideview was not designed for FS9, and I understand Peter Dowson is not the developer of Wideview. I realize there is discussion about multi-monitors. but would that include three monitors ? I prefer Wideview as it seems a bit less complicated.

I decided to post here since Peter Dowson has proven himself a master in solving a variety of FS problems.

Any assistance or advice is greatly appreciated as this is a show-stopper problem for me.

I have used Wideview since FS2000. I recently registered FSUIPC 3.0 with high hopes that Wideview would work after loading FS9 in all three. Unfortunately, FS9 crashes to desktop when Wideview is started. There is no really big surprize here since Wideview was not designed for FS9

I did actually use WidevieW for a while, it was before FS2000 though. I remember this because WidevieW was the inspiration for my WideFS, and in fact the very first version of WideFS, over 6 years ago, rode on the back of WidevieW, using its communications over the internet to hold its own messages.

However, I have not used WidevieW for some years now. I know Luciano did a "Light" version for FS2000, and ported it to FS2002, but I have not heard from him for a while and I do not know if he is making an FS2004 version.

The dependence on FSUIPC within WidevieW is only for the weather, I think. His application is only one of two I know of which uses the Advanced Weather Interface I added for FS2000 and carried on thereafter. For all the other things he has to pass on from one PC to the other, Luciano did his own thing. I am pretty sure that it was not FSUIPC dependent for anything other than weather. So it will certainly need some work for FS9 I'm afraid.

I realize there is discussion about multi-monitors. but would that include three monitors ?

I use three monitors connected to a Matrox Parhelia. That is the only video card I know of that can do this at present. In full screen FS2002 will run at 1920 x 480 across the three screens, but FS2004 reaches a splendid 3840 x 1024, or more if you have bigger screens. Naturally the frame rates take a bit of a knock at such resolutions, but it is worth it. I aim to upgrade my processor when I can, soon I hope.

I decided to post here since Peter Dowson has proven himself a master in solving a variety of FS problems.

Thank you. But I am not quite in the position of being able to update other folks' programs for them. Have you contacted Luciano to ask his plans? Didn't he have a web-site, and if so is it still operational?

Sorry I cannot be of any direct help. If Luciano wants help in adapting WidevieW to FS2004 I would be ready.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks for all the information. This Matrox Parhelia card may be the ticket. I'll have to look into that. I think I'm begining to understand a little bit. I have a double-monitor at work (COA) and use it all day but never even think about it.

Luciano does have a Wideview site but it does'nt look like it's been touched since August 2002. I'll try and make contact with him and let you know if you're interested.

Thanks again for everything.

By the way' A million thanks for FSUIPC and WideFs. I've been using both since the begining. I have not registered WideFs yet, but will shortly.

• 12 years later...

Hello,

I don't know if this post is close and if Les Parson solve his problem.

I use two Matrox TripleHead2go with Nvidia GTX780 3Go it give you
no less than 6 screens each monitor is a 22" Lenovo. It suppose to
run smoodly since FS9 is an old software but I have some issues.

On the second hand, Wideview works find with no problem at all.

All the best

• 1 month later...